advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Slide scanning project again
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 23, 2022 01:19PM

From a (Bell & Howell projector) cube labeled "Wind River & Yellowstone". I haven’t gotten to the point of trying to identify locations yet, using the notes he left. But I’ll bet someone here knows where this is.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Slide scanning project again
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 23, 2022 01:28PM
Taggart Lake? Those big rocks in the back are a dead ringer, but you can't really see the lake in your scan.

[travelwyoming.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 23, 2022 01:43PM
Beautiful!

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: Slide scanning project, old photography gear
Date: June 23, 2022 01:48PM
My brother first got a 35mm camera sometime in the 1960s. He used it going into the mid-70s. It was made by Agfa, and I think, after doing some searching, that it was an Agfa Optima.
Agfa Optima cameras

The focus ring had little icons: people close by, people farther away, and mountains. I tried using it when I took my first photography class in college, and then abandoned it for a basic Honeywell Pentax. I couldn’t afford the Pentax Spotmatic, which had a built-in light meter, so you can imagine that my results were often pretty bad. My dad could not believe that I had spent $170 on a camera that couldn’t develop its own pictures.

My brother got some decent shots with his Agfa. This one was from a family trip west, probably around 1965. The film he mostly used was "Agfachrome".

Date: June 23, 2022 01:51PM
mikebw
Taggart Lake? Those big rocks in the back are a dead ringer, but you can't really see the lake in your scan.

[travelwyoming.com]

Yes! That’s clearly the place. Thanks.

Re: Slide scanning project, old photography gear
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 23, 2022 02:02PM
ka jowct
My brother first got a 35mm camera sometime in the 1960s. He used it going into the mid-70s. It was made by Agfa, and I think, after doing some searching, that it was an Agfa Optima.
Agfa Optima cameras

The focus ring had little icons: people close by, people farther away, and mountains. I tried using it when I took my first photography class in college, and then abandoned it for a basic Honeywell Pentax. I couldn’t afford the Pentax Spotmatic, which had a built-in light meter, so you can imagine that my results were often pretty bad. My dad could not believe that I had spent $170 on a camera that couldn’t develop its own pictures.

My brother got some decent shots with his Agfa. This one was from a family trip west, probably around 1965. The film he mostly used was "Agfachrome".

Willow Flats, near Jackson Lake Lodge:

Date: June 23, 2022 03:08PM
Thanks. Tetons in the background?

Date: June 23, 2022 03:33PM
Yes; In your brother’s the Grand is slightly left of center, partly obscured by clouds.

In the photo I posted Mt. Moran is the peak (complete, not partial) on the furthest right (North). Your brother’s ends just short of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2022 03:34PM by btfc.
Date: June 23, 2022 04:02PM
Date: June 25, 2022 09:04AM
I found an image that looks like the Agfa camera my brother was using until eventually getting a more modern 35mm:

I vaguely recall that it developed problems with the film transport, at the time that I was trying to use it for my photography class. Not sure what happened to it after that. I do recall my photography prof eying the little icons on the focus ring with great skepticism.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020