advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What’s the standard for face to face selling (CraisList, etc.)?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 24, 2022 02:59PM
Selling my 2017 iMac. If I sell locally, is the accepted safe standard still cash? Venmo, PayPal, Cashapp, other?

Thanks.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What’s the standard for face to face selling (CraisList, etc.)?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 24, 2022 03:08PM
When I buy or sell and the cash amount is high, I ask to meet at place full of foot traffic and cameras. One such transaction for a pricey camera happened inside a bank. I asked the seller to meet my at my bank because it has so many cameras. It lessens the odds a crime will occur. WIth the seller standing right next to me, I asked the teller to create a cashiers check for me. The seller didn't want to walk around with so much cash.

Make sure if you accept cash, it's real money. Banks can help you out with the marker that can tell if money is real. There is some fake cash that looks convincing enough in a rushed transaction. If the person is trying to give you fake cash, their face will be on many cameras.

[duckduckgo.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2022 03:14PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: June 24, 2022 03:25PM
Selling a computer that will have to be verified as working, limits me to the sale happening at home. From your perspective, would you say the possibility of robbery is high enough to have second thoughts about selling locally?

If that’s really the case, I’d rather not, but selling through eBay isn’t entirely out of the question.

Thanks.

As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Date: June 24, 2022 03:35PM
Blankity Blank
Selling a computer that will have to be verified as working, limits me to the sale happening at home. From your perspective, would you say the possibility of robbery is high enough to have second thoughts about selling locally?

If that’s really the case, I’d rather not, but selling through eBay isn’t entirely out of the question.

Thanks.

It depends on your comfort level. I tend to be very cautious about my home and what's in it because I am paranoid and don't trust strangers. I have bought from people and picked up at their house without a problem. Here's the thing though, I am not a thief. Someone might use it as an opportunity to see what else is in your home, say they don't want to buy anything and rob you later. Is this likely going to happen? Probably not. It's not out of the realm of possibility though. There are people out there willing to put huge efforts to being criminals instead of being gainfully employed. As I mentioned before, I am paranoid. Go at your own comfort level. Make sure the cash is real.

I'd bring the iMac to the bank with a KB and mouse and hook it up it to show it's working. The impediment would be making sure there is an accessible plug.

Searches for I got robbed via Craigslist [duckduckgo.com]
Searches for I got scammed on Craigslist [duckduckgo.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2022 03:37PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 24, 2022 03:42PM
Starbucks also have cameras, have readily accessible Wi-Fi and are accustomed to people bringing computers in (yes, even iMacs!). Pick one near a police station for even greater piece of mind.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 24, 2022 03:42PM
CL actually suggests that you NOT invite a stranger into your house.

I asked a similar question here when I was planning to sell an imac and one suggestion that I liked was taking it to Panera Bread. I've never been inside one, but was told that people setting up camp with computers is not unusual. I ended up shipping it via ebay instead. Also not ideal - selling imacs properly is something that I haven't quite fig'd out yet.

here's that thread: [forums.macresource.com] vthere were a lot of decent ideas
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 24, 2022 03:49PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Pick one near a police station for even greater piece of mind.

Check with your local police station as well. Some of them have "safe trade" areas you can use.
[www.safetradestations.com]
[safetradespots.com]
Date: June 24, 2022 03:53PM
Thanks. I’m liking the Starbucks/Panera idea. Sounds like a plan. I’m neither particularly wary nor foolhardy, unaccountably seem to cut a bit of an imposing figure, but the bottom line is why invite hassle when there’s no need. big grin smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2022 03:54PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: June 24, 2022 03:56PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Starbucks also have cameras, have readily accessible Wi-Fi and are accustomed to people bringing computers in (yes, even iMacs!). Pick one near a police station for even greater piece of mind.

I recently saw a listing for Sony A1 $7k where the seller would only meet at his local police station where he was friends with several officers.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 24, 2022 04:31PM
I've only sold relatively inexpensive items (sub $500) so I just meet at our local fred meyer parking lot. I use an inverter to demo the equipment. I only take cash and I have no way of verifying it's real so the suggestions here are noteworthy. For my low value items I don't worry about that risk. I don't think I've ever met anyone I felt was sketchy but the buyer is often a bit unfocused so I do not do transactions at my house (I did it once for a bunk bed because it was huge).

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 24, 2022 07:07PM
I met a CL buyer INSIDE a local Police Station lobby. He had his own SIM card and, when satisfied it was a working iPhone, handed me cash. A public library would probably have an 110VAC outlet and WiFi available. In either case, I’d give a heads up to the station or library as to what I wanted to do.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 24, 2022 07:36PM
I'm not that paranoid. I've had several people come to my house to buy stuff and have never had a problem. I'd be more worried about being scammed on eBay than having someone try to scam me at my own house.

My nephew sells sneakers... used to do ebay. Until he had a buyer wait until 364 days after the sale to claim he never received them. They had a delivery receipt from USPS, but eBay said that wasn't sufficient. He had to refund the money to the guy. He now sells via a specialized website. He ships to them, and they handle shipping to the customer. Fees are comparable to ebay, but he's not liable if a customer claims they never got the sneakers.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 24, 2022 07:50PM
rz
I'm not that paranoid. I've had several people come to my house to buy stuff and have never had a problem. I'd be more worried about being scammed on eBay than having someone try to scam me at my own house.

My nephew sells sneakers... used to do ebay. Until he had a buyer wait until 364 days after the sale to claim he never received them. They had a delivery receipt from USPS, but eBay said that wasn't sufficient. He had to refund the money to the guy. He now sells via a specialized website. He ships to them, and they handle shipping to the customer. Fees are comparable to ebay, but he's not liable if a customer claims they never got the sneakers.

What's the web site your nephew uses now, if you don't mind divulging?

Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 24, 2022 08:15PM
Blankity Blank
Thanks. I’m liking the Starbucks/Panera idea. Sounds like a plan. I’m neither particularly wary nor foolhardy, unaccountably seem to cut a bit of an imposing figure, but the bottom line is why invite hassle when there’s no need. big grin smiley

my former Starbucks was often used for transactions. the cameras for the cafe only cover the entrances though not very much of the cafe. the only time it was kind of wonky is when a customer with a history of being batsh*t crazy was transacting a gun sale in the cafe. that made us all nervous and as shift supervisor i called the police to just have a little chat with him.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: June 24, 2022 08:30PM
I have met people in parking lots for transactions. Just make sure you also pay attention to your surroundings. I have seen surveillance videos of people with envelopes of cash getting robbed. The perp will watch a transaction or wait for someone is coming out of a bank. A driver will pull up and the grab man will jump out and steal the cash and jump into the car and speed off.

Here are some examples that show you how fast this can happen. [www.youtube.com]

The vast majority of transactions will be fine. I am just overly cautious. Proceed at your own comfort level.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2022 11:37AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: d4
Date: June 25, 2022 07:08AM
Years ago in my 20s I furnished my first NYC apartment entirely with Craigslist purchases. I found a cheap lamp and had to go pick it up a few blocks away. It was raining and I didn't want the lamp to be ruined so I brought, a big garbage bag. Duct tape and a box cutter.

I get to the apartment, got buzzed in, walked up the stairs. The seller was a young woman, living alone. I follow her into her apartment to where the lamp was IN HER BEDROOM. Still plugged in (so I could test it).

So here I was in a young woman's bedroom, with a garbage bag, duct tape, and boxcutter. Making small talk about a lamp. It was different back then I guess. Hah!

Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 25, 2022 08:19AM
Blankity Blank

Thanks.

That is not necessarily true. I have sold desktops at our Police Station. I just took an extension cord and a couple of TV trays (a helper was with me) along with the desktop, monitor keyboard and mouse. This was with the blessing of the police, as I checked with them beforehand. I could have done the same at our county sheriff's office.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 25, 2022 06:24PM
d4
Years ago in my 20s I furnished my first NYC apartment entirely with Craigslist purchases. I found a cheap lamp and had to go pick it up a few blocks away. It was raining and I didn't want the lamp to be ruined so I brought, a big garbage bag. Duct tape and a box cutter.

I get to the apartment, got buzzed in, walked up the stairs. The seller was a young woman, living alone. I follow her into her apartment to where the lamp was IN HER BEDROOM. Still plugged in (so I could test it).

So here I was in a young woman's bedroom, with a garbage bag, duct tape, and boxcutter. Making small talk about a lamp. It was different back then I guess. Hah!

Well, as you're posting now, I guess her body was never found..... wink smiley
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 27, 2022 11:59AM
Nobody did those kinds of things back in the days of classified ads in the newspaper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020