advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 27, 2022 07:21PM
My Daughter’s car keeps collecting nails in the tires at work. So far five times in 1 year. We are now suspecting sabotage.

So we need a dash cam with front and gear parking surveillance that will work on her new 2021 Subaru Crosstrek.

Any suggestions from the brain trust ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 27, 2022 07:39PM
Roofers at work anywhere in the vicinity?

After a hail storm goes thru up here and everybody gets to know the joy it is to deal with the bastards at State Farm the local tire shops are super busy plugging tires.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 27, 2022 07:58PM
cbelt3
My Daughter’s car keeps collecting nails in the tires at work. So far five times in 1 year. We are now suspecting sabotage.

So we need a dash cam with front and gear parking surveillance that will work on her new 2021 Subaru Crosstrek.

Any suggestions from the brain trust ?

Most only work off of accelererometers that activate the cams during a crash. So if someone is placing nails under the tires so they get driven in when the car first rolls, it wouldn't register.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 27, 2022 08:10PM
Here's the one I acquired last year. The features I like about it are:
- capacitor instead of a battery for backup power (as we all know, batteries eventually fail - when that happens, it's usually time to replace the product, as user replaceable batteries are not the norm now - having a capacitor in stead of a battery eliminates that problem)

- front & rear cameras

- parking mode (monitor your car while parked, with user-selectable capture rates); it sounds like THIS is the feature your daughter will need

-wifi for previewing & transferring videos to your phone, or to change the camera settings via your phone

I also recommend using a SanDisk "Max Endurance" memory card - they are specifically designed for high usage.

For this situation, though, it sounds like you would need side-coverage as well - so maybe double up on the dashcams?

Links:
Viofo Dual Dashcam ($170):
[www.amazon.com]

Viofo circularizer polarizing lens to eliminate glare ($15):
[www.amazon.com]

Viofo hardwire kit ($18):
[www.amazon.com]

SanDisk Max Endurance microSDXC cards (price varies depending on size):
[www.amazon.com]

Tap-a-fuse connectors ($10):
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 27, 2022 08:47PM
A simple Wyze outdoor camera would both record and send images to her phone in realtime. It runs off a battery, so no drain on the car. You could even set it in a nearby tree or bush to show the outside of the car.

[www.wyze.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 27, 2022 10:05PM
I've been very happy with our Aukey 02. It can be set to run while the car is running or parked, uses a capacitor instead of a battery. Simple, good image quality. Better auto exposure than most.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 27, 2022 11:43PM
lost in space
I've been very happy with our Aukey 02. It can be set to run while the car is running or parked, uses a capacitor instead of a battery. Simple, good image quality. Better auto exposure than most.
I think they use a Sony low light HDR ensor.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 28, 2022 07:30AM
cbelt,

I concur with Racer. A dashcam isn't the answer. The vast majority work while driving and/or in the event of an impact while the vehicle is parked. They aren't going to record if the vehicle is sitting there and someone walks buy it, sneaks up on it, etc. Even then, if one has a feature that records in the manner that will work in your situation, you need to be careful that it doesn't sap its battery or your vehicles batter. For your situation, you a standard surveillance cams that record 24/7/365 and/or has motion detection features is a much better choice. Just my opinion.

Robert
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 28, 2022 07:43AM
Would the police in your area be able to take action, assuming you did catch someone on camera, placing nails under the tires?

Even a sign that says "You are being recorded" with a non-functional camera in plain sight would be an effective deterrent IMO. Or how about check the tires before she drives off?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 28, 2022 09:18AM
Thanks for the suggestions ! We are looking at the cam that SDGuy recommended... it's got motion detection in parking mode so it's not accelerometer based. I've got a Wyze cam I'm setting up on the driveway so I will be recording any possible shenanigans.

And when she's at work she is going to start parking in a state government lot across the street that is fully monitored.

FWIW We did have our roof replaced, but I've done several walkthroughs and found all 10 nails that they missed with their magnet on a stick solution.

I wish her car would enable its three separate cameras as a parking surveillance mode, but it doesn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 28, 2022 11:48AM
If sabotage, I’d wager the only effectiveness would come from placement very near a tire, or a pile father away. Both should be easy to spot with a quick check before driving off.

And if something is found, now you know where to aim a camera.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 28, 2022 02:29PM
There are very cool OBDII usb cord attachments (power cable) to use with non-capacitor cams like mine, to make them work while parked. Check them out, although I don't have a link.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2022 02:29PM by mrbigstuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 434
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020