advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Router died . . .
Posted by: mspace
Date: June 28, 2022 08:10AM
There I was last night, turning off my Apple TV via remote (which uses the router Asus RT-AC68U), when The Other asks if I did anything to said router, as the connection was lost to the laptop.

Nope, never went near it. Went to look and ALL lights are off! Did all the unplugging, replugging, checking various buttons, all other devices in same strip are lit and functional. Plugged router into different strip. Nothing.

Never had a router just go dead like this, but "It's dead, Jim." Picking up an Asus RT-AX68U from B&H today. Gotta do what I gotta do.

Do people here keep a spare router on hand for (hopefully rare) issues like this? If so, just an older previous one?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Router died . . .
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 28, 2022 08:22AM
Might have been a failed power supply.

No, I don’t have a spare. If my router died I’d check to see if neighbors had a spare.

Date: June 28, 2022 08:25AM
mattkime
Might have been a failed power supply.

No, I don’t have a spare. If my router died I’d check to see if neighbors had a spare.

Possible, but I have no way to check that, and need to be up and running for work. Sigh.

The one person that might have had something didn't. Double sigh.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 28, 2022 08:41AM
mspace,

Are you using the router or modem-router provided by your ISP? If so, contact them for a free replacement. All bets are off if you're using your own router.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2022 08:49AM
.....most only have spare.......tire......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 28, 2022 09:07AM
Robert M
mspace,

Are you using the router or modem-router provided by your ISP? If so, contact them for a free replacement. All bets are off if you're using your own router.

Robert

It's my own, Asus RT-AC68U.

I found a line tester, so I will check the power supply as mattkime suggested. If it's the power supply, I'll replace and keep it as my spare.

Either way, a big surprise, as I've never had a device just up and completely fail like that.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 28, 2022 09:31AM
Its true, it seems that routers more frequently die by slowly going flakey, requiring increasingly frequent resets.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 28, 2022 09:46AM
mattkime
Its true, it seems that routers more frequently die by slowly going flakey, requiring increasingly frequent resets.

Yeah, that has been my experience since routers became inexpensive. I suspect they use low end chips for their nonvolatile RAM, and after a few years of writing logs and settings that gets flakey.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 28, 2022 09:46AM
I have a spare-long story short, I double ordered, missed the return window.

Turned out I needed it! A nearby lightning strike (like one or two houses away!) took out the main unit. Spouse was freaked out (Deadlines! Deadlines!), I coolly swapped in the spare, and voila-peace and order were restored to the space-time continuum.

All that said, I haven't ordered a replacement. It's too easy these days to drive to Best Buy and pick one up, or order from Bezosville and use hotspots in the meantime.
Date: June 28, 2022 10:15AM
Hotspot worked for computer, but I use a Raspberry Pi with Apple TV and Channels for TV/DVR. It’s wired to the router, so WiFi is out.

Just happy I can take care of it in less than 24 hrs. Hopefully, it is the power supply and I’ll have that spare.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 28, 2022 11:45AM
My MoCA could be a spare, but it's pretty old.
I own my FiOS G1100.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: gadje
Date: June 28, 2022 04:26PM
When I upgrade, I keep the old router as a spare.

Came in handy when moving or helping friends.
Date: June 28, 2022 05:03PM
Just tested with the power supply from the new router. Also Asus, and same specs on the charger.

New router powered from both supplies. Dead router did not. I guess I don't have a spare router. But I do have a spare power supply now.

Oh, well . . .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020