advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Roll Call recollection - What were you doing in 2007? June 29, 2007: The first iPhone goes on sale
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 29, 2022 04:04PM
I was still in the news business at the time. How time flies.

[www.cultofmac.com]

June 29, 2007: The first iPhone goes on sale, giving excited Apple fans lined up outside stores their first chance at owning the game-changing smartphone.

The queues that greet the iPhone launch around the world prove that Cupertino is onto a good thing with the smartphone, first shown off by Steve Jobs earlier that year.

These days, queuing up for (or getting up early to preorder) the latest “insanely great” product is a part of Apple culture, just like that sly sense of superiority every time you hear your Android-owning friend complain about malware.

But it wasn’t always like this. In the late 1990s, a series of mini Apple stores inside larger tech retailers bombed horribly because of a lack of foot traffic.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2022 04:24PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Roll Call recollection - What were you doing in 2007? June 29, 2007: The first iPhone goes on sale
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 29, 2022 04:41PM
Working at a newspaper. Ordered it as soon as they were announced. Probably had one of the first ones in Iowa. Was months before I ran across someone else who had one.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: Roll Call recollection - What were you doing in 2007? June 29, 2007: The first iPhone goes on sale
Posted by: hal
Date: June 29, 2022 04:54PM
I was uninterested. WAY too expensive for my meager needs and it still is, but now I do it anyway, but new iphones are something I don't do anymore.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 29, 2022 05:15PM
Also too expensive for me and more than I needed at the time.

I was here.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2022 05:17PM by voodoopenguin.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: June 29, 2022 05:31PM
I was very interested in it, but didn't want to move to AT&T or pay the initial price for its features although it was way ahead of other phones. Waited til the 3GS and then have typically bought every other model since then.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 29, 2022 05:45PM
voodoopenguin
Also too expensive for me and more than I needed at the time.

I was here.

Paul

That bump out at the castle doesn't look quite level...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 29, 2022 06:51PM
I got the last 8GB (the bigger one) that the AT&T store had. I went there because the Sacramento Apple Store had a big line. I only waited around 30 minutes until they went on sale that afternoon. I have had every model since then.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 29, 2022 08:31PM
I was still telling my wife and kids we didn’t need phones. I bought one each for the family about six months after the 4 came out. I’m on my third iPhone now, an original SE.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: stephen
Date: June 29, 2022 09:15PM
My ad agency colleagues and I were in line on day one.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 29, 2022 09:51PM
Like Price and C(-)ris I was at my paper editing photos and planning the next day's edition. I had Jobs on my laptop watching the presentation. I also remember watching one of my photographers just about having an orgasm every time a new feature was mentioned.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 30, 2022 04:01AM
Stood in line at an AT&T store for a few hours because the lines at the Apple Store were said to be wrapped around the mall, we finally got right inside the AT&T door and they said they only had 4GB left. This was very late in the day. -probably 8pm or so…On a complete lark, we drove over to the Apple Store, where there was no more line.

We figured they’d probably sold out but went inside anyway, and they had 8GB phones to sell… and that day, we were assimilated. Still have the phone, the box, and the special little bag it came in….what a day!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 30, 2022 06:37PM
Still using a land line.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020