advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another water softener question
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 29, 2022 04:58PM
I asked about softening hot water only a couple weeks ago. Since then, I’ve found out our low, but not zero, iron content is enough for plenty of staining, so I’m off that line of thinking.

I’m now to the point of crunching hard numbers and finding I need a softener with 4 cu ft of resin for 128,000 grains of softening capacity. Unfortunately, I’m not finding any systems that go that high. I’m seeing dual 64,000 grain systems, but that’s not the same. I’m also finding dual 128,000 grain systems, but that’s unnecessary. Anyone got a line on where to find a single tank with 128,000 grain capacity?

I really want to buy the system myself and have a plumber hook it up (no existing setup with bypass), rather than hire it all done and pay a premium for the system that they want to sell me vs what I want to buy. This sucks, because the only people I can ask for advice are the ones selling something. I’m hoping someone on the MRF is knowledgeable enough to help me straighten this out and steer me in the right direction.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another water softener question
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 29, 2022 08:17PM
Run it more frequently.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 29, 2022 08:38PM
Speedy
Run it more frequently.

I’d sure like to do better than that and get a properly sized softener that cycles about once a week.

Edit: And now, the more I think about it, maybe this IS the best way to go. If I get a softener sized right for now, it’ll be oversized in a few yeas as kids start leaving. Better to be undersized now and regenerate every few days, but be correctly sized in the future, than to buy the right softener now and have it go 2-3 weeks at a time in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2022 09:44PM by BernDog.
Date: June 30, 2022 05:25AM
Our Kenmore detects the softness (hardness) and only runs as needed. Our prior one from 1990 didn’t have that capability so it ran on a schedule. The (relatively) new one is very nice.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 30, 2022 08:13AM
BernDog
Speedy
Run it more frequently.

I’d sure like to do better than that and get a properly sized softener that cycles about once a week.

Edit: And now, the more I think about it, maybe this IS the best way to go. If I get a softener sized right for now, it’ll be oversized in a few yeas as kids start leaving. Better to be undersized now and regenerate every few days, but be correctly sized in the future, than to buy the right softener now and have it go 2-3 weeks at a time in the future.

Get a unit that regenerates base on flow (water usage). That will work now and after the kids are gone. You can still adjust the regen frequency.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: June 30, 2022 08:40AM
AFAIK, they all regenerate based on usage now. At any rate (no pun intended), that’s what I’d get.

Edit: Based on what I’ve read, I’m looking at a Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 grain capacity with fine mesh resin to better help with our low, but not zero, iron levels and a Res Care Easy Feeder to help clear iron from the resin. Now to find the best deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2022 01:08PM by BernDog.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 01, 2022 12:57AM
I've found it I want my water softer, I thaw it.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: July 01, 2022 04:28AM
modelamac
BernDog
Speedy
Run it more frequently.

Get a unit that regenerates base on flow (water usage). That will work now and after the kids are gone. You can still adjust the regen frequency.

So that’s how they do it, volume, not hardness No wonder our water softens at just about the right time.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 01, 2022 11:25PM
Speedy
modelamac
BernDog
Speedy
Run it more frequently.

So that’s how they do it, volume, not hardness No wonder our water softens at just about the right time.

How can you tell the difference? I must be oblivious because we have one, and I fill it sporadically and I can't tell any difference between when it is full or has been empty for a month.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020