advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
repairing worn laminate
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 29, 2022 07:16PM
Okay, I'm sure some handiperson on the forum has dealt with this, so here goes. Several years ago we had our kitchen redone. Quite often, my wife and I have commented on what a great experience it was and how happy we are with the finished product. At the time, one of the compromises we made was to go with laminate countertops rather than granite or Corian or some other $$ option. We just couldn't swing it.

Anyway, here it is years later, and wear is showing at the corner seam. It's not something that's making us crazy, but if there were a simple DIY solution, I might be willing to take a crack at it. I'm not expecting perfection, just something better than it looks now. Of the usual, cheap, fast or good options, I'd opt for cheap and good. Just wondering if anyone here has attempted such a job...successfully. Yeah, if it were a simple solid color, I might have already attempted it, but as you can see in the picture, it's not as simple as running a Sharpie down the seam. BTW, it's only really noticeable in the heavily used section of the counter. As it goes back farther into the corner, it still looks fine.

Thanks in advance for any reasonable suggestions.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: repairing worn laminate
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 29, 2022 07:57PM
Is there enough depth, or you could gouge enough depth to use a dark tile grout (then seal the grout)?
Posted by: Diana
Date: June 29, 2022 08:15PM
Kitchen and bath caulk comes in colors now, not just white and clear. See if you can find one close enough to the color you want, and use that instead of grout.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 29, 2022 08:49PM
Get the white area as close to that beige background as you can, then use a couple of sharpies to put a few dots of the brown and black colors over the beige, to make it blend in.
Just making the seam any of the actual colors will help it a lot. It is the fact that it is so much lighter that is making it stand out so much.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 29, 2022 09:00PM
Thanks for the thoughts. Rhonda, your idea is the closest to what I was thinking. In fact, I had even considered a Sharpie for brown and black dots on top of the worn out part without using any caulk at all. ;)
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: June 29, 2022 10:06PM
There are products made for this exact issue and for commercial production of these counter materials..
get some brands in the search and then try to deduce which is the most robust/professional stuff.

Don't use calk or grout..stern warning.

Google is your friend..

Lamintate contertop seam filler

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2022 10:12PM by Kraniac.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 30, 2022 07:09AM
wurm
Thanks for the thoughts. Rhonda, your idea is the closest to what I was thinking. In fact, I had even considered a Sharpie for brown and black dots on top of the worn out part without using any caulk at all. ;)

Yeah, I can't tell from the pic if there is a divot between the two pieces, or if the color has just worn off. You can just paint the white area with a beige paint then do the sharpies on top.
This fix will probably have to be redone periodically, but its an cheap and easy fix, so shouldn't be much of a burden.

Good luck with it. I think even just the sharpie over the white will help, but adding that beige color would be preferable.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2022 07:09AM by rgG.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 30, 2022 08:17AM
Fingernail polish? Last longer. Cover with clear coat.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 30, 2022 09:22AM
I've used SeamFil with decent results.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 30, 2022 12:54PM
C'mon, y'all know it's time to put a kitchen TV there.....
cool smiley
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020