Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
USC and UCLA join Big 10
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 30, 2022 09:50PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: USC and UCLA join Big 10
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 30, 2022 09:56PM
Speedy
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is insane and nothing but pure greed. The NCAA should never have let the SEC expand. This is all the cascading effect of their super-conference. It will continue to destabilize college football and disintegrate traditional rivalries. Of course this happens as Utah becomes a consistent power in the Pac 12.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: btfc
Date: June 30, 2022 09:59PM
The current system of conferences and the BCS need to go.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 30, 2022 10:15PM
The NCAA needs to go.
Date: June 30, 2022 10:20PM
I wonder if we are beginning to see the first stage of death of the Rose Bowl.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: bfd
Date: June 30, 2022 10:48PM
Big 12 will pick off some of the others like Colorado, Utah, Arizona, et al. That'll leave maybe a few bottom feeders in Pac12. Some of the better teams from Mountain Worst Conference will probably try to get picked up - if P12 even survives.

Waiting for Bill Walton to chime in…
Date: June 30, 2022 10:51PM
bfd
Big 12 will pick off some of the others like Colorado, Utah, Arizona, et al. That'll leave maybe a few bottom feeders in Pac12. Some of the better teams from Mountain Worst Conference will probably try to get picked up - if P12 even survives.

Joining the Big 12 would reunite Utah with traditional rival BYU. Not sure the Pac 12 will survive this unless they pilfer other leagues quickly like the Big 12 just did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2022 10:54PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 01, 2022 12:44AM
The apocalypse is truly upon us.

It is what it is.
Date: July 01, 2022 12:49AM
[www.ksl.com]

The survival scenarios in this article are pretty much what I was thinking. The PAC 12 has few options. Things will be even more dire if Oregon leaves.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 01, 2022 02:10AM
N-OS X-tasy!
The apocalypse is truly upon us.

thumbs up It is madness!

=wr=
Posted by: DP
Date: July 01, 2022 06:07AM
Who woulda thunk? But, yeah, money...

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 01, 2022 08:26AM
Wow.

The Big 10 is now up to, what, 17 teams now?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 01, 2022 08:58AM
No, only 16. But if rumors are true about Washington and Oregon considering joining then the Big Ten will be 18. They haven't been a 10-member conference for decades.

I wonder if perhaps Notre Dame might start to regret their insistence on staying independent. They are really a weird case; only football is independent now. Notre Dame hockey is the only sport in the Big Ten. Basketball is in the ACC (I'm not sure about other non-revenue sports).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 08:59AM by AllGold.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 01, 2022 09:51AM
IMO they should be forced to change the name of the conference when the number of teams changes.

Posted by: Z
Date: July 01, 2022 10:34AM
mattkime
IMO they should be forced to change the name of the conference when the number of teams changes.

You know, they're hoping for at least 10 competitive teams. Needed to up the total membership with how Nebraska has turned out. smiley-music039
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 01, 2022 08:49PM
Saw a teaser that the ACC might be in jeapordy if this goes through but did not stay tuned to find out why. Where is the Conference USA when we need them? Nearby teams were rivals you could identify with.

I know, "and stay off my lawn."
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 01, 2022 09:06PM
pRICE cUBE
bfd

Joining the Big 12 would reunite Utah with traditional rival BYU. Not sure the Pac 12 will survive this unless they pilfer other leagues quickly like the Big 12 just did.

And there's really not that much to pilfer … besides maybe some of the better G5 teams that haven't already been pilfered. Still, those programs are no better than they ever were, so any promotions will likely just weaken the Pac 12 even more.

A very interesting turn of events…
Date: July 02, 2022 12:47AM
bfd
pRICE cUBE
bfd

And there's really not that much to pilfer … besides maybe some of the better G5 teams that haven't already been pilfered. Still, those programs are no better than they ever were, so any promotions will likely just weaken the Pac 12 even more.

A very interesting turn of events…

Let's take a look at some Mountain West Conference teams. Boise State and SDSU are the only notable football programs at the moment. SDSU doesn't have a national following and BSU's following is basically the state of Idaho. The rest are small state schools.

Best case scenario at this point is for the remaining Pac 12 schools to merge with the Big 12. A merger proposal idea came last year but didn't materialize. Maybe the Pac 12 will be open to that idea now.

Posted by: vision63
Date: July 02, 2022 02:26PM
The NCAA is my name, destroying natural rivalries is my game.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 02, 2022 02:39PM
I'm biting my tongue, and it's sore and bloody. I thought the old Pac-8 was perfect. Four sets of natural rivals up and down the Pacific Coast. Small enough that everybody could play everybody, and still have room for a few non-con games. Adding the 'zona's to go to the Pac-10, was semi-OK, except in football, flip-flopping an extra conference game. Most other sports didn't take the brunt that football took. Going to 12 added a couple of quality teams, but mandated using two divisions, and included a necessary league playoff.

The problem, as I see it, was if the NCAA had expanded the college football season schedule to its current 162 games + playoffs (oops, wrong league/sport) format, the Pac-10 format might've had a chance. Not a huge NCAA fan here, but some reasonable authority needs to set up an equitable way of structuring sports conferences. It should be fairly regionalized, and ability equalized as well.... kinda like the way they do soccer across the pond. Share the revenue more equitably among the schools (and student-athletes).

I'm a Mega-UCLA Bruin Fan, but I'm not sure this is good for college sports overall.
Greed, for lack of a better word, is not always good.
==
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 02, 2022 04:12PM
Buzz
I'm biting my tongue, and it's sore and bloody. I thought the old Pac-8 was perfect. Four sets of natural rivals up and down the Pacific Coast. Small enough that everybody could play everybody, and still have room for a few non-con games. Adding the 'zona's to go to the Pac-10, was semi-OK, except in football, flip-flopping an extra conference game. Most other sports didn't take the brunt that football took. Going to 12 added a couple of quality teams, but mandated using two divisions, and included a necessary league playoff.

The problem, as I see it, was if the NCAA had expanded the college football season schedule to its current 162 games + playoffs (oops, wrong league/sport) format, the Pac-10 format might've had a chance. Not a huge NCAA fan here, but some reasonable authority needs to set up an equitable way of structuring sports conferences. It should be fairly regionalized, and ability equalized as well.... kinda like the way they do soccer across the pond. Share the revenue more equitably among the schools (and student-athletes).

I'm a Mega-UCLA Bruin Fan, but I'm not sure this is good for college sports overall.
Greed, for lack of a better word, is not always good.
==

I'm a big Bruin basketball fan. I'm also a big USC football fan. These schools are the pride of Southern California. Cal and Stanford are the pride of Northern California. Oregon and Oregon State are the pride of Oregon. Washington and Washington State are the pride of that state.

The West Coast. The old Pacific Coast League was incredibly special to west coasters. It knitted the region together.

It should be against the law for UCLA/USC to leave the Pac 12.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020