advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Studio 54?!.....Apple starts selling refurbished Mac Studio models.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 30, 2022 10:31PM
......today....

Apple Begins Selling Refurbished Mac Studio Models

.....Apple today began selling refurbished Mac Studio models for the first time in the United States, Canada, and select European countries, such as Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.

In the United States, two refurbished Mac Studio configurations are currently available, including one with the M1 Max chip (10-core CPU and 24-core GPU) for $1,799 (down from $1,999 brand new) and one with the M1 Ultra chip (20-core CPU and 48-core GPU) for $3,599 (down from $3,999 brand new). Inventory on Apple's refurbished store fluctuates often, with additional configurations likely to be added over time.

Apple says every certified refurbished Mac undergoes full functionality testing, is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection, and is repackaged in a new box with manuals and a power cord. Apple's refurbished products are covered by Apple's one-year limited warranty and 14-day return policy, and are eligible for AppleCare+ coverage. AppleCare+ for the Mac Studio is priced at $169 or $59.99 per year on a rolling basis.

Released in March 2022, the Mac Studio resembles a taller Mac mini, with holes on the back and bottom of the enclosure for airflow. Available with up to a 20-core CPU and up to a 64-core GPU, the Mac Studio is the fastest Mac ever based on benchmarks.

On the back of the Mac Studio, connectivity options include four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10-Gigabit Ethernet port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack with support for high-impedance headphones. On the front, there is an SD card slot, along with two USB-C ports or two Thunderbolt 4 ports depending on the configuration.

now..............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Studio 54?!.....Apple starts selling refurbished Mac Studio models.....
Posted by: clay
Date: July 01, 2022 12:11PM
wow. interesting. Wonder if they've had lots of returns (I returned mine). For a device that has pretty constrained supply, I assume these refurbs will sell out pretty quickly.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 01, 2022 04:23PM
Why'd you return yours? I was considering getting one, but the price is steep, even for a refurb.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: July 01, 2022 05:19PM
ztirffritz
Why'd you return yours? I was considering getting one, but the price is steep, even for a refurb.

fan noise. I value/need silence, or as near to it as I can get (I do audio/video work). At default, the fan noise was still audible, even 3 feet away behind a monitor. I could probably have rigged up some sort of enclosure to muffle the sound further, but I plug and unplug things from it all the time and that would have gotten old, fast.

As it stands, I'm sticking with my M1 Mini until the M2 Mini (or M2 Pro/Max/whatever) comes out, assuming its fan noise is essentially nil.

Lots of folks have noted the fan noise on the Studio. Apparently the noise varies depending on which parts you get, but even in the best cases, you will hear some noise. For some, it's not a big deal. For me, it was. So back it went. It was a significant upgrade from the M1 Mini performance-wise and I would have loved to keep it. But at this point, the noise made it a no-go for me.
Posted by: Diana
Date: July 02, 2022 02:14AM
My Studio is pretty much noiseless as I have never heard the fans run, and I’ve pushed it pretty hard. It sits right at my feet, under the mobile “desk” and out just a bit so I don’t hit it with my foot. There is no room on the “desk” for it or it would be there.
Date: July 02, 2022 09:50PM
Diana
My Studio is pretty much noiseless as I have never heard the fans run, and I’ve pushed it pretty hard. It sits right at my feet, under the mobile “desk” and out just a bit so I don’t hit it with my foot. There is no room on the “desk” for it or it would be there.

They have a fan that defaults to 1300 RPM. It's a decent fan as far as these things go, but it isn't silent. With a 3rd party app, you can bump it down to 1100 RPM minimum. Still audible in a quiet room.

From all the reports I've seen, the fan almost never ramps up above the 1300 rpm level, even under load.

I'm hoping they find a way to tune the thermals in v2 of the Studio. Either lower minimum fan speed, better heatsinks, or something else that effectively makes it a silent Mac. I have a hard time seeing how a 27" 5k Intel i7 iMac can essentially be silent at idle with all those electronics + screen + power supply in a thin enclosure but they can't figure out how to silence a screen-less computer that is way more efficient in every way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2022 09:50PM by clay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020