advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is there such a thing as an remote control app for the Apple TV?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 01, 2022 03:23AM
Trying to navigate anything using the Apple physical remote or the useless widget drives me nuts. I mainly use the Apple TV when the Spectrum service is acting up. Some channels are frequently but randomly unavailable, etc. via the cable box. I always end up irritated by the clunkiness of the whole interface and the amount of futzing required to do simple things. Would I be better off using the Spectrum app on my phone or iPad and using Airplay?

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 03:26AM by ka jowct.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is there such a thing as an remote control app for the Apple TV?
Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 01, 2022 04:00AM
I couldn't find one of ours and googled to find out how to do it with iPhone. Now when I swipe up there is an Apple remote icon.

We found the remote.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 01, 2022 07:46AM
It’s built into the iPhone and iPad.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 01, 2022 08:23AM
ztirffritz

Yeah. It’s called….”Remote”.

It’s icon is…an AppleTV remote.

wink smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 01, 2022 09:11AM
....think you can download at app store too, if you don't see it......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 01, 2022 10:08AM
There was an app available at the store (may still be) but it was integrated into IOS awhile back. Swipe down from upper right hand corner and it's among the widgets there. I'm not sure it's any easier to use than the physical remote though.

I struggle somewhat with the physical remote as it is very easy to click on the wrong thing. This is partly because of the touch nature of the remote and partly because it's incredibly difficult to see what the remote has "highlighted" on the screen. Usually the icon is marginally larger than the rest and it can be difficult to spot at times.

The latest and greatest version of the physical remote is by far better than what we had before. More tactile feel makes it far easier to use.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 01, 2022 11:30AM
As I recall, they removed the app version from the iOS store; it's now part of (Control Center?) the thing you get when you do a corner pull-down. It's the icon that looks like an Apple Remote.

Got my mom to start using it when her AppleTV Remote broke. I sent her a new one but she says she likes using the iPhone version better as it's easier to work with.

I swear, Apple and Roku are leaving money on the table by not making a range of remotes for their devices; simplified or big-button remotes, back-lit, different tactile feel, etc., to meet specialized needs. I was really surprised that Roku hadn't done that when trying to find a replacement for my elderly aunt-in-law who has to use a magnifier when she uses their remote.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 11:30AM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 01, 2022 11:32AM
Apple at least makes it possible to use other, non-Apple remotes. I haven't bothered as I find the Apple remotes adequate. Have occasionally used my iPad as a remote as well.
Date: July 01, 2022 11:53AM
ztirffritz

Should have been clearer: I know about the godawful Remote widget. It’s what I would like to replace. It looks like the answer might be to just airplay from the Spectrum app on an iPad on those days when the cable box decides it just can’t display certain channels.

Date: July 01, 2022 12:00PM
davemchine
There was an app available at the store (may still be) but it was integrated into IOS awhile back. Swipe down from upper right hand corner and it's among the widgets there. I'm not sure it's any easier to use than the physical remote though.

I struggle somewhat with the physical remote as it is very easy to click on the wrong thing. This is partly because of the touch nature of the remote and partly because it's incredibly difficult to see what the remote has "highlighted" on the screen. Usually the icon is marginally larger than the rest and it can be difficult to spot at times.

The latest and greatest version of the physical remote is by far better than what we had before. More tactile feel makes it far easier to use.

I think my Apple TV is a version 4, with whatever remote came with that. I find it and the way info is displayed on my TV in freaking tiles annoying and clunky, too much like the dim witted interface they’ve chosen for the Mac OS App Store (why are they terrified of lists??) and it is easy to overscroll, etc. With a POR (plain old remote), it seems so much easier to switch back and forth between channels, etc.

Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: July 01, 2022 01:23PM
I use a device called Sideclick which attaches to the Apple TV remote. Works well and can also control the tv, amp, etc.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 01, 2022 02:52PM
Ka Jowct I completely agree. Lists are far far better. The AppleTV started out with lists but later moved to the more popular tile format (I think with the 3rd gen Apple TV). It would have been nice to have a choice...

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 04:19PM by davemchine.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 01, 2022 04:10PM
ka jowct
I know about the godawful Remote widget. It’s what I would like to replace.

If you don't want to use Apple TV's physical remote of Apple's Remote app, as JoeH said, you can use just about any remote control with Apple TV.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: July 01, 2022 04:33PM
Click&hold the mic button and say Open the CW app, or Hulu app, etc.
Or teach the Apple TV your favorite remote.
Date: July 02, 2022 08:49PM
davemchine
Ka Jowct I completely agree. Lists are far far better. The AppleTV started out with lists but later moved to the more popular tile format (I think with the 3rd gen Apple TV). It would have been nice to have a choice...

How do we know the tiles are “more popular”? It seems like something Apple has just decided to stick us with because they are bent on iOS-ifying everything. I don’t want interfaces on my Mac looking like those on my phone, especially when the result is an idiotic waste of space. Grrrr.

Date: July 02, 2022 08:53PM
rich in distress

I don’t have any interest in having to speak at the remote. But how does the Apple Remote “learn” to use, say, the Spectrum remote? Got links?

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 02, 2022 11:45PM
ka jowct
rich in distress

I don’t have any interest in having to speak at the remote. But how does the Apple Remote “learn” to use, say, the Spectrum remote? Got links?

It's dead simple: [support.apple.com]

And just to be clear, the Siri Remote doesn't learn the third-party remote. That's the job of your Apple TV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2022 02:06PM by Article Accelerator.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020