advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dark Side of the Moon
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 01, 2022 10:39AM
Just finished my annual re-listen. Then put it on again.
I must have heard this album a hundred times.

Such a great treat.
Why does Apple not have an Atmos version available? Didn't they make a Quad version in the 70s!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dark Side of the Moon
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 01, 2022 10:56AM
EMI is now under the (burned up) house of Universal Music..
If they can find the masters, UMI is responsible for the release and the band is responsible for the remix.
Since one of the living members of the band is an absolute !, it could be a while.
But ya never know. They are a critical lot and may be waiting for a really good Atmos mixer to surface.
At this stage of the Atmos game, I'd say there isn't one.
Though I'd hope Parsons is diving in.

As much as I like DSOTM, I'd be more interested, especially with todays software plugs, in PATGOD mixed Atmos.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 10:58AM by Fritz.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 01, 2022 11:27AM
I was *just* listening to DSOTM but for me it's more of a weekly listen, depending on how dark my week is going.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 01, 2022 03:08PM
Rolando
Just finished my annual re-listen. Then put it on again.
I must have heard this album a hundred times.

Such a great treat.
Why does Apple not have an Atmos version available? Didn't they make a Quad version in the 70s!

There is a Quad version, mixed by Parsons, but it wasn't released at the time (EDIT: Not exactly, see below). The band passed on it back in the day, and it sat in the Abbey Road archive for decades until an engineer "borrowed" the master, made a copy and posted it as a 4.1 DVD several years back. It's excellent.

The Parsons mix also eventually showed up on one of the many PF re-release box sets more recently, along with a different, band-approved 5.1 mix (I've heard both and the Parsons mix is much better IYAM).

UPDATE: I went and looked this up after posting, it turns out the Quad mix was released... on 8-track, plus a Japanese vinyl version. The 70's were a very messed-up time.

[www.quadraphonicquad.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 03:14PM by Will Collier.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 01, 2022 03:25PM
Quad was happening just as 8track was happening - I remember seeing one of those dsotm quad 8 tracks in the wild back then...

Back to the OP - it amazes me how little time I have to listen to complete albums without distraction. How did I do it so often when I was a teen?

On a recent backpacking trip, I put on the headphones and listened to (and I mean really listened) Animals start to finish at dusk. That was wonderful!
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 01, 2022 03:59PM
Yeah, I never heard the quad version myself, but at the time a friend of mine described hearing Money in quadrophonic at another guy’s house.

Dunno if it was vinyl or 8 track (but could it really have been 8 track? Wouldn’t that have required 16 tracks?)
Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 01, 2022 05:39PM
Parsons. smiley-gen013
smiley-gen013Parsons. smiley-gen013
Parsons. smiley-gen013:

Needs his own thread

Old Fogette

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 01, 2022 06:07PM
pdq
Yeah, I never heard the quad version myself, but at the time a friend of mine described hearing Money in quadrophonic at another guy’s house.

Dunno if it was vinyl or 8 track (but could it really have been 8 track? Wouldn’t that have required 16 tracks?)

It was 8 track tape. As I recall from the player my father bought at the time, quadrophonic tapes used 4 tracks at a time instead of 2. I don't recall many quadrophonic tapes being purchased, but do remember listening to Firesign Theatre's I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus album that was released on quadrophonic 8-track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 06:24PM by JoeH.
Date: July 01, 2022 06:12PM
as I recall, the number of 8track quad releases was in the dozens. There weren't many.

I remember seeing Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII at record stores for YEARS.

Posted by: rgG
Date: July 01, 2022 07:58PM
hal
as I recall, the number of 8track quad releases was in the dozens. There weren't many.

I remember seeing Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII at record stores for YEARS.

Damn. I haven’t thought about that album in many decades.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 01, 2022 07:59PM
Bozos was also quad vinyl
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 01, 2022 10:03PM
We had a quad receiver at home, and a few quad records. It was cool, but not much source material.

I just recently found my Koss quad headphones - 2 1/4" phone jacks...
Date: July 01, 2022 10:26PM
Yeah, not too much material and made even scarcer for those going for quad-LPs. There were at least two different standards for records in the US, and others elsewhere in the world.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 02, 2022 06:36AM
JoeH
pdq

It was 8 track tape. As I recall from the player my father bought at the time, quadrophonic tapes used 4 tracks at a time instead of 2. I don't recall many quadrophonic tapes being purchased, but do remember listening to Firesign Theatre's I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus album that was released on quadrophonic 8-track.

We had a quad 8-track deck in my folks' 1978 Ford LTD (which was eventually passed down to me; I yanked it to put in a cassette deck the first chance I got). I remember the demo tape that came with the car was very quad-oriented. Not sure if they ever got another quad tape though.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 02, 2022 07:15AM
Will Collier
We had a quad 8-track deck in my folks' 1978 Ford LTD (which was eventually passed down to me; I yanked it to put in a cassette deck the first chance I got). I remember the demo tape that came with the car was very quad-oriented. Not sure if they ever got another quad tape though.

”The last release in the quadraphonic 8-track format was in 1978, although most had stopped appearing by the end of 1976.”
[en.m.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 02, 2022 10:27AM
oh how I miss the thunk of the 8 track flipping tracks mid song.

NOT!

!#$@@$#!

Date: July 02, 2022 06:13PM
Fritz

NOT!

When I listen to those songs TODAY, I can still hear the fade out virtually and am overjoyed when it doesn't happen.
Posted by: gadje
Date: July 02, 2022 10:27PM
Fritz

NOT!

what did I miss???
Date: July 02, 2022 10:54PM
gadje
Fritz

NOT!

what did I miss???

Nothing much more than an annoyance. 8-track tape is a continuous loop in the cartridge, where it joins they used a metal tape to splice it. When that went past a sensor the head assembly was shifted to the next set of tracks and there was an audible clunk through the speakers. See albums adjusted the music tracks so that would happen between songs, but more often it would happen in the middle of a song playing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 55
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020