advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Experiences with heavy-duty shredders? The secondary power button of my Fellowes Powershred 79ci is kaput.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 04, 2022 08:43AM
Experiences with heavy-duty shredders? The secondary power button of my Fellowes Powershred 79ci is kaput.

Hi everyone,

The Fellowes Powershred 79ci shredder I’ve had for about 13 years or so has gone kaput. The shredder motor, main power switch, safe sense tech and case are fine. The actual issue is a small secondary power switch. It stopped working properly. Took the unit apart and Fellowes designed the switch in a manner that makes it _way_ too much of a pain to repair it. Time for a new shredder.

I could get another Fellowes Powershred 79ci. It worked beautifully for a very long time. However, this is the second model from Fellowes that suffers from the same design flaw. I have a Fellowes Powershred 99ci at my office with the same problem. Although the 99ci works well, at some point, the secondary power button is going to go completely, just like 79ci.

One of the reasons I like the 79ci is that it has Fellowes’s Safesense technology. It can detect when fingers are too close to the shredder’s teeth opening and stops it. Definitely a nice feature, especially if you have little fingers around the house. However, we usually turn on the shredder, use it and then turn it off again. So, as much as the safe sense feature is nice, it’s more of a backup safety feature, which will kick in the rare time we forget to turn off the shredder via the main switch. Safesense is an uncommon feature and I’ve seen it on just a handful of models from Fellowes and Aurora. It puts them at the top of the list.

The other thing I do with shredders is buy a heavy duty model. It isn’t so much that I shred lots of paper all the time. It’s because they can handle a full envelope of junk mail which causes models that can handle fewer pages at a time to balk. Prior to stepping up to a heavy-duty model, I always had to open the envelope, pull half the pages out and shred them and then do the balance. A more capable model makes that unnecessary. I figure, if I’m going to buy a shredder, I want one that I can drop the envelope into the slot and watch the machine eat it. No muss, no fuss.

Shredding media is less important these days than in the past. I still like having one that can tear through CDs/DVDs/Credit cards and similar plastic media. Most any of the models that are in the class of machine I’m looking at can handle media with minimal problems.

The other feature I require is a shred security level of at least P4. You can get this in both a cross-cut or confetti/micro cut model. Although I deem it improbable an identity thief is going to delve into the shreddings from my home, a security level of P4 ensures the only use someone will have for them is kindling.

These are my options:

[www.amazon.com]

Saw the Wolverine and it seems like a solid choice. No experience with the brand and can’t find much of anything about the company behind it on the web.

[www.amazon.com]

The other shredder with Safesense. Also seems like a solid choice. Easily found the manufacturer and Aurora models seem to get good write ups from review sites.

[www.quill.com]

[www.quill.com] (or at amazon at [www.amazon.com]

The second version is micro-cut instead of cross-cut. I get discounts at Quill.

Note: Tru Red, like Mailmate, is a Staples house brand. Had a bad experience with a Staples Mailmate shredder. Dumped it for a Fellowes and never looked back. They’ve likely improved the performance and build quality of them over the years since this particular model garners solid reviews.

[www.amazon.com]

Wirecutter likes Amazon Basics models. However, they seemed to only test less capable models and more for volume than actual shredding ability. Meaning, they tested for how much you can shred for a period of time. They didn’t seems to adequately test for thickness of paper such as layers in an envelope, which can stop even a good heavy-duty shredder in its tracks.

And, I can still get the Fellowes Powershred 79ci:

<[www.quill.com]

The secondary power button issue has me leery of it. Still, though, the 79ci is a great machine for a house. An envelope occasionally caused the machine to balk but not often. Same thing happens with the 99ci, which is the next model up in the line. Still, the 79ci is good machine. The power switch issue prevents it from being a great machine.

Which heavy-duty shredders are you using?

Thanks,

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Experiences with heavy-duty shredders? The secondary power button of my Fellowes Powershred 79ci is kaput.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 04, 2022 09:53AM
dunno about any of them shredders, but perhaps this may help?

[www.youtube.com]

more than likely the switch part is common and can be ordered from digikey or the like.

!#$@@$#!

Re: Experiences with heavy-duty shredders? The secondary power button of my Fellowes Powershred 79ci is kaput.
Date: July 04, 2022 10:04AM
Fritz,

Thank you for the video. I didn't know about the last two screws buy the main power cable. Unfortunately, even though I could pull the machine apart easily enough, the switch itself is near impossible to find. And, very expensive. Not worth the expense to fix.

Robert
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 04, 2022 11:57AM
Robert M
Fritz,

Thank you for the video. I didn't know about the last two screws buy the main power cable. Unfortunately, even though I could pull the machine apart easily enough, the switch itself is near impossible to find. And, very expensive. Not worth the expense to fix.

Robert

Fellowes no longer stocking the switch? Comments indicated that they bought the replacement switch from them for less than $30 including shipping. The $30 price was in a comment only 2 months old.
Date: July 04, 2022 12:24PM
Joe,

Nope. Fellowes US never stocked it. Someone got it from Europe. Tried putting the 79ci back together but the top refuses to go back into place. Apparently, trying to remove it without taking off the last two screws skewed something. So, even if I could ge the switch, I can't repair it now. Not a major loss as far as I'm concerned. Got my bucks worth out of the machine.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 04, 2022 02:29PM
......only had experience shredding the abs....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 04, 2022 04:49PM
Unrelated to any of this, in 2011 I ordered a Fellowes 3103201 Powershred W11C for $67 because my other shredder isn't a cross-cut type.

It now sells for $97.

It was OOS at the time and showed up weeks later, sort of.

What I got was a Fellowes Powershred 75Cs, which is currently $276 at Bezoville, with no mention of a substitution.

I've no idea what it would have sold for in 2011.

As the W11C was a cheap quick pick with no research, and I was happy when it finally arrived, and had no idea the 76Cs was not what I ordered.

Until about 10min ago.

It took me about 15min to track down and figure it out because every time I checked my Orders list, I was the W11C and realized that's not what I got until now.

It's not a commercial machine by any stretch.

It's functional enough for my typically light duty, though when I use it for 20min straight it goes into thermal shutdown for about 20min.

The bin is a very fiddly bit.

I use a trash bag liner, but that complicates emptying the bin.

At any rate, the very newly discovered silent upgrade is much appreciated.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 04, 2022 05:25PM
RAM,

That's a decent shredder. A step or two down from what I'm looking for but a decent model nonetheless. The W11C would've shredded docs into smaller pieces since it's a P4 model but it would do it for shorter amounts of time.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 04, 2022 06:28PM
Robert,

I believe the 75Cs is also a P4.

A slight bunny trail, what oil should be used for the cutters?

I've used some Rem Oil Aerosol, which Fellowes says 'no aerosol', probably because the spray might push oil into the electronics.

AMZ has Fellowes 35250 Performance Oil in a $20/2-pack, but one bottle would be a near lifetime supply for me.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Dubya
Date: July 06, 2022 04:59PM
I have an early Fellowes shredder that I like. It had a paper sensor that initiated the drive. Weak design that eventually wore out.

I replaced it with a simple push button mounted on the top. I have to hold it down when shredding, but it works OK...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 62
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020