Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
good tubing
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 04, 2022 07:41PM
Rebellion
Easter 1916 rebellion in Ireland. I knew nothing of modern Irish history.
Very good. Not for the easily angered.
The Brits, once again, prove their everlasting cruelty.
I dunno how the Irish have ever forgiven Brit gummint.
If not for WWII, 1950s & 60s cinema and the British Music Invasion, I don't think anyone would answer their call.

Borgen
The 1st woman Danish PM . I'm just in the 1st season.
As we have seen in recent days, even Denmark can be a mess.

I'm glad I don't work for gummint. Always seems an incredible compromise.

Both are derived from history, but not 100% factual. I believe both are Netflix, but I have a terrible memory for that type of thing.

Have you seem my keys?

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: good tubing
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 04, 2022 09:10PM
Fritz
Rebellion
Easter 1916 rebellion in Ireland. I knew nothing of modern Irish history.
Very good. Not for the easily angered.
The Brits, once again, prove their everlasting cruelty.
I dunno how the Irish have ever forgiven Brit gummint.
If not for WWII, 1950s & 60s cinema and the British Music Invasion, I don't think anyone would answer their cal.

Highly recommend the tour of Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin; really drives home the history of Irish Nationalism.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 05, 2022 12:52AM
I enjoyed Borgen

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: July 05, 2022 07:45AM
lemme add that Borgen is (of course) subtitled and some times the subtitles are very quick. You'll hit rewind once in a while.

also watched Rebellion with subs. Between the 2 "accents", there are more than a few times when I say wtf?

!#$@@$#!

Date: July 05, 2022 08:10AM
Fritz
lemme add that Borgen is (of course) subtitled and some times the subtitles are very quick. You'll hit rewind once in a while.

Borgen IS dubbed in English, although words written in subtitles and spoken in dubbing are not identical (which can be distracting).

Also there's three seasons of the original Borgen, and the newer Borgen - Power & Glory, one season so far.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 05, 2022 09:19AM
While there can be impressive dubbing results, much of the performance can be lost. I made a decision not to go with it a long time ago. YMMV.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 05, 2022 09:57AM
....where is the tube top.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 05, 2022 10:28AM
August West
While there can be impressive dubbing results, much of the performance can be lost. I made a decision not to go with it a long time ago. YMMV.

yea, pretty much. drubbing hurts my ears and eyes, even when done by the original actor.
Also, having done some "re-voicing" in my time, the tendency is to not bother with a proper room tone like the original. Even more distracting.
Beforeigners is a painful example of drubbing.

If one can deal with them, subs are better.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: davester
Date: July 05, 2022 12:10PM
Fritz
August West

yea, pretty much. drubbing hurts my ears and eyes, even when done by the original actor.
Also, having done some "re-voicing" in my time, the tendency is to not bother with a proper room tone like the original. Even more distracting.
Beforeigners is a painful example of drubbing.

If one can deal with them, subs are better.

Absolutely agree! The dubbed version is awful and highly distracting. Vastly better to watch the subtitled danish version.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 05, 2022 12:12PM
....prefer danish with some fruit in it......though prune danish, isn't my favorit....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 07, 2022 08:16AM
Fritz
...the tendency is to not bother with a proper room tone like the original. Even more distracting.

Good news: "room tone" in Borgen dubbing is excellent

Bad news: British-vocabulary dubbing maddeningly strays from actual spoken Danish words.
Example:
- Image shown of wheat
- Danish actor says "hvede"
- English subtitles say "wheat"
- British dubber says "corn"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020