advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Crap. I just wrote my last check.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 07, 2022 07:43PM
I write so few that I wasn't paying attention. Now I just wrote the last of this batch. My bank won't give me free ones as I have a very basic free checking account. I've bought them in the past from the usual Checks in the Mail, Checks Unlimited, etc. They're fine and I know it usually takes forever, but that shouldn't be a problem. My concern is that they usually want a blank, voided check with the order (don't they?). I do have deposit slips, but no more checks.

No Costco near me, and I don't want to pay the crazy prices from the bank. So what are my best options for cheap, easy and hassle-free? Quick-ish would be nice, but not critical.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Crap. I just wrote my last check.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 07, 2022 07:50PM
....possible to phase into online billpay.....??

......I never thought that I would like it but once I converted, it is so easy....every month, just enter the amount to pay and by what day and it gets paid online.....no stamp or possible late payment for getting 'lost in mail'....and the billpay is free with USAA.....

....only write checks for things that don't except but most vendors do accept ConEd, Verizon, etc. all take online payment.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2022 07:50PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 07, 2022 07:56PM
wurm
My concern is that they usually want a blank, voided check with the order (don't they?).

I've ordered online from Checks Unlimited.

The routing/account info from the number at the bottom of a check was sufficient.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 07, 2022 08:08PM
I write so few checks that it's not worth looking around for some place cheaper than my bank.

While they may be more expensive per check than a third-party source, it costs me maybe $1 a year, give or take.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 07, 2022 08:12PM
You folks are fast. I was just about to add "Never mind." I just ordered a couple of boxes from Bradford Exchange for $12.63 shipped free (by slow boat, I'm sure). Damn "Service & Handling" was as much as the checks. And of course, as soon as I started ordering I realized all they needed was Bank Routing number and account number.

I do pay most all my bills online, but the dang local Town Services only offer online payments through a third party which dings you with a service fee. Screw that. I was going to use my banks online Bill Pay, but because the Town Hall isn't in their system, I'd have to allow almost fours days to process. It's due Monday. The credit cards, mortgage and utilities have spoiled me for immediate processing, so I tend to wait until the day before.

Thanks anyway. These 200 checks ought to last me for a few years. I honestly don't remember how long ago I ordered the ones I just used up, but it was a while ago.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: July 08, 2022 06:28AM
If you ordered from them in the past, they will have your info on file - I just ordered some after several years and when I logged in, all my info came up.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 08, 2022 07:17AM
wurm
My bank won't give me free ones as I hav...

Will your bank sell you "non-free" ones? Nevermind, I see you've already ordered some.

Posted by: d4
Date: July 08, 2022 07:26AM
I hand out local holiday tips and gifts in cash. I snail mail long distance holiday and birthday gifts with checks. It's not all about PayPal, ApplePay, Venmo and online banking.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 08, 2022 10:07AM
You probably have some boxes of new checks buried in a drawer.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mspace
Date: July 08, 2022 10:59AM
I use-
[www.supervaluechecks.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 08, 2022 09:52PM
Tiangou
wurm
My concern is that they usually want a blank, voided check with the order (don't they?).

I've ordered online from Checks Unlimited.

The routing/account info from the number at the bottom of a check was sufficient.

Checks Unlimited went off the rails semi-recently w/ all sorts of extra fees and BS'ing on their website. I'll never use them again after our last experience w/ Mrs. Buzz's checks..... ridiculously expensive at the end of the day. I used them for an order on one of my accounts a couple/few years back and they were still OK then, so I took that recent shot w/ spousal unit's reorder and found out they're now the evil empire of checks. Phuhq'm.
==
Posted by: ArtP
Date: July 09, 2022 09:37AM
mspace
I use-

I switched to them with my last order. I used to use the highly religious Promise Checks - not for religious reasons but because they were CHEAP!

Seems like the same company so a heathen like me doesn't feel so guilty when I write that one check every month or so to pay the credit card bill for all the sins I have charged.....
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 10, 2022 09:59PM
mspace
I use-

Thanks! I need to order some biz checks. I use the cancelled check as a "receipt" for business purchases sometimes.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 11, 2022 08:21PM
.....there will come a time, as we age....when we write checks that our bodies can no longer cash......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020