advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My new obsession- rolling storage racks in the garage
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 08, 2022 10:35AM
I picked up a rolling steel storage rack to use in the kitchen but it was too big for the selected spot (measure once, buy twice). So it rolled outside into the garage. And replaced a fixed shelf of stuff. Hmm… 3600lb capacity, 6 feet high, and I can move it around to clean behind it ?

Fixed shelf units are going away. I got another rolling rack.

I do set the brakes so my junk doesn’t roll down into the street…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2022 10:35AM by cbelt3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My new obsession- rolling storage racks in the garage
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 08, 2022 10:54AM
Do you have a link to what you purchased? I'm curious.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 08, 2022 10:59AM
Wish I had a garage!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 08, 2022 11:10AM
mrbigstuff
Wish I had a garage!

I have 2 smiley-laughing001

And I too want that link. Or a starting point. Most steel shelving units are either a joke or $400 each.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2022 11:12AM by Racer X.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 08, 2022 11:11AM
Please share a link. I've had one from the Container Store in my office for many years, and putting casters on it was revolutionary. But it was kind of pricey—way too expensive for garage.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 08, 2022 11:13AM
Good job. You’ll love them. I’ve been using them for years. Bought a bunch at an auction years ago pretty cheap. They are rated for 1,000 pounds per shelf. Recently bought a bunch from a quilting store that went out of business. Using them in a large storage room off the garage. They replaced the sagging press-board shelving the previous owner put up.

One caveat though. The original ones I got came with these really nice casters. After about 5 years in our garage, the smooth plastic covering of the wheels fell apart. They still roll, just nowhere near as smoothly.
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 08, 2022 11:22AM
I built my own, mini version of this wheeled wood cart which works very well. I can easily move it out of the way to get to stationary shelves behind it.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 08, 2022 11:31AM
Member's Mark 6-Tier NSF Steel Wire Shelving, 47.5"x18"x 72"
[www.samsclub.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 08, 2022 11:56AM
cbelt3
Member's Mark 6-Tier NSF Steel Wire Shelving, 47.5"x18"x 72"
[www.samsclub.com]

Several of those might work. No Sam's Clubs anywhere nearby. Might be able to order on-line through WalMart.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 08, 2022 12:02PM
.....nice.....rack(s)......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 08, 2022 12:04PM
This really is the way. Careful with your addiction:

Posted by: d4
Date: July 08, 2022 12:26PM
I have 6 in the basement. And another 5 in the garage.
In the basement they are arranged side-by-side, perpendicular to the wall. I roll individual racks out for access and push it back when done. It's a pretty efficient storage method, IMO. Wait for Black Friday.

Posted by: rgG
Date: July 08, 2022 12:43PM
You guys have too much stuff. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 08, 2022 01:05PM
DECADES ago, I bought several rolling racks at Sam's Club. They served me well for years and, when I sold my house, I just about recouped the original cost when I sold them. smiling smiley

Earlier, I had bought shelving that did NOT roll. Those were nowhere near as useful.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 08, 2022 01:14PM
rgG
You guys have too much stuff...

agree smiley
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 08, 2022 01:27PM
Got a few similar to belty's.... lesson(s) learned; check the wheels/brakes if you really wanna move 'em around, ditto for the feet if you're gonna keep 'em stationary, and lastly, check the construction of the racks and the type and number of cross bracing used; it makes a big difference on how steady the fully assembled rack is. There are plenty tons of similar racks in that sub $150-$200 category, so you either have to rely on solid recs, or doing some solid homework.

Semi-pro tip: if you're not gonna be using the wheels, you can find some well built racks w/ crappy wheels for cheap, and if the feet are yucky, you get some heavier duty replacement feet (HD, Lowes, Beezer's....) and/or put a fender style washer (or a nickel/quarter) w/ 'em in a rubber bumper/foot/cap to make 'em rock solid. Also, cut some smallish (~4"x4") squares of 3/4" plywood for the the feet to rest on to help prevent your floors from damage. Most of these racks have screw in adjustable feet to use in lieu of screw in wheels; if possible, check it all out first so you know what you're dealing with..... IOW, don't fall for some slick online advertising that over promotes and under delivers on reality like I did! Ended up giving *that* rack to BIL/SIL for lighter duty storage use in their garage.
==
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 08, 2022 01:43PM
Costco seems to have something similar too.

=wr=
Posted by: kj
Date: July 08, 2022 02:22PM
I have ones that look exactly like that that were 125.00 at Home Depot. A lot of them look similar, but don't hold nearly as much weight. I like to pile it on, so these are great. I agree with the too much junk. But I might need it someday!
Posted by: flareslow
Date: July 08, 2022 02:44PM
I believe the one's I bought recently are the same as Belty's. The advantage they have over the Costco version is that the Sam's Club version came with plastic shelf liners that are kind of expensive when bought separately. Additionally the one's at Sam's are $30 cheaper.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 08, 2022 03:46PM
Go big or go home: AutoStore
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: July 08, 2022 03:51PM
Note: The description says that if you are using the wheels instead of feet the load rating for the ENTIRE shelving unit is 500 pounds rather than 600 pounds per shelf!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 08, 2022 04:38PM
I've been using a bunch of Home Depot plastic garage storage shelves(6 now) to hold my basement stuff while I have the basement finished. They are really lightweight, easy to assemble/take apart and cost starts at $70.

[www.homedepot.com]

JoeM
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 08, 2022 10:22PM
JoeM
I've been using a bunch of Home Depot plastic garage storage shelves(6 now) to hold my basement stuff while I have the basement finished. They are really lightweight, easy to assemble/take apart and cost starts at $70.

[www.homedepot.com]

Careful! I've had two of those collapse. And not piled with very heavy items.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 09, 2022 06:57AM
SDGuy
rgG
You guys have too much stuff...
agree smiley

When one owns a house and has young children, things start to accumulate. When I was single and living in a small rental apartment, my Christmas decorations all fit into one shoebox smiling smiley

Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 09, 2022 09:17AM
mrbigstuff
JoeM

[www.homedepot.com]

Careful! I've had two of those collapse. And not piled with very heavy items.

Good to know,thanks. I’ve had these in my basement for over 10 year with no issues. Mainly storing light stuff but also some fairly weighty containers of files and papers.

JoeM
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 10, 2022 02:45PM
d4
I have 6 in the basement. And another 5 in the garage.
In the basement they are arranged side-by-side, perpendicular to the wall. I roll individual racks out for access and push it back when done. It's a pretty efficient storage method, IMO. Wait for Black Friday.

I had 20' of homemade shelves in the garage and 16' in the basement for 30 years made from leftovers from building out house. A couple of years ago on a Black Friday sale I replaced them with 9 of the rolling 4' wide shelving units. It only gave me a single additional shelf throughout but they are MUCH more efficient since the shelves are adjustable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020