advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Email, do you use a 3rd party app?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 09, 2022 09:55AM
I only use Apple's Mail client on my computer but I'm wondering what other people use any why.

I only have two frustrations with Mail. 1) There's virtually no spam filtering. The built in capability simply doesn't work and creating rule after rule isn't a good solution. So I bought SpamSieve which filters for me and I like it. 2) There's no ability to transform an email into a Reminder or Calendar event which I do frequently.

So what is everyone else using?

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Email, do you use a 3rd party app?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 09, 2022 10:15AM
I've tried just about every alternate email program out there but I always wind up coming back to Mail (with a few elements of the SmallCubed Mail Suite plugins (namely Send Later/Schedule Send and the filing option). I see that with an upcoming release (Ventura?) Mail will be locked (i.e., no plugins) so I'll lose my filing options (I know Mail is adding its own Send Later feature, which I hope is better than the @#$%& Remind Me Later in Reminders).

On that note, SmallCubed is working on their own mail client; can't find any info on it at the moment, but I'll take a look at it when it arrives.

The only other mail client I used to keep on my Mac was Unibox; loved it. Mail, but arranged like Messages (i.e., grouped by sender). I wouldn't use it exclusively but it made cleaning out my inbox easier. I also liked the look of it. (Don't bother with it; it's abandonware.)

Posted by: testcase
Date: July 09, 2022 10:18AM
I dumped AppleMail back in 2005. Gmail seems to have very good spam filtering. Hard to beat FREE.
Posted by: Afterall
Date: July 09, 2022 11:18AM
Gmail
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 09, 2022 11:29AM
Dave,

Several threads about email clients in the forum. Worth searching for them. In a nutshell, I use Apple Mail and Postbox. At home, it's Apple Mail for personal and Postbox for business. At my office, it's Apple Mail for business and Postbox for personal. The accounts are separated to ensure content doesn't get mixed together.

Many people forget that email client and email provider aren't one and the same. My email providers are Fastmail and GMail. Keep in mind both email providers provide web based email clients. I use them on occasion but still prefer a local computer based application like Apple Mail and Postbox. Far less cumbersome in my experience.

Robert
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 09, 2022 01:03PM
Thunderbird.

One word: Sorting.

It lets you sort by (almost) any criteria, which makes culling and moving mail super easy. I use it for several accounts in addition to other mail clients for those accounts individually. T-Bird is fugly, but it works. Just throwing it out as an option. Good luck.
==
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 09, 2022 06:13PM
I just use the Gmail web interface. It does everything I need. But I rarely use email these days. I can't remember the last actual email I sent, not a file or something.
Posted by: steveroberts
Date: July 10, 2022 06:34AM
I've been using Airmail for the past few years.

Lots to like about it, but the "delayed send" feature has saved me from embarrassment a few times. Once I hit the "send" button, I've got 90 seconds to change my mind or double-check for errors, etc.

SR
Posted by: mspace
Date: July 10, 2022 08:52AM
Postbox
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 10, 2022 11:40AM
steveroberts
I've been using Airmail for the past few years.

Lots to like about it, but the "delayed send" feature has saved me from embarrassment a few times. Once I hit the "send" button, I've got 90 seconds to change my mind or double-check for errors, etc.

SR

I have that as a part of the SmallCubed suite I mention; agreed. I set a 4 minute delay as a standard on all my emails (you can bypass it, of course, as well as schedule an exact date/time) b'c I almost always forget to write something or discover info was incorrect, etc. (I don't have a problem with forgetting attachments b'c that's part of the suite as well; it has that bit that scans for common words (included, attached, file, etc) and looks to see if there's an actual attachment in your mail)

Posted by: gadje
Date: July 11, 2022 06:44PM
I rarely email these days. Messages for family and friends, Slack for work. Email is only for vendors and that is not very often.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020