The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
pRICE too shocked to post? Nikon to exit the SLR market - report
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 12, 2022 07:23PM
Per a report. Not official yet.

[petapixel.com]

"Nikon will withdraw its business from the DSLR market and focus its resources on mirrorless cameras, according to a report from Nikkei Asia.

If true, the end of Nikon DSLR has come earlier than expected after it was previously reported that its F-mount cameras wouldn’t be abandoned until 2025. But Nikkei Asia says that Nikon has been “losing out” to smartphones, which increasingly feature powerful cameras. Nikon is aiming to fight back by offering products with more unique features.

The report goes on to say that the Japanese camera giant will continue the production and distribution of existing DSLR models, but its focus will turn to digital mirrorless cameras."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: pRICE too shocked to post? Nikon to exit the SLR market - report
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 12, 2022 07:36PM
Sad face!
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 12, 2022 07:43PM
I guess I am not shocked.

I tried, for 40 years, to be a decent photographer with Nikon equipment all the way back to a used F2 when I was 14. I was able to get some nice shots over the years, but the craft frustrated me.

When Apple made the iPhone the de facto portrait camera it wasn't just me that started shooting less with Nikon and more with a phone it was 2-3 others who also had thousands in equipment that just said screw it and used the phone.

My phone shoots a better portrait than my D3 with a $$$ 50 mm 1.4 lens on it 80% of the time.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 12, 2022 07:52PM
Personally, I don't understand why someone would have a fondness for a flappy mirror inside a camera.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 12, 2022 08:18PM

pRICE is recovering from his workout
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 12, 2022 08:34PM
mattkime
Personally, I don't understand why someone would have a fondness for a flappy mirror inside a camera.

Really? An optical viewfinder is no different than a evf?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 12, 2022 09:15PM
I have used Nikon as my main client platform for 14 years now and started with Nikon in college. I still own 2 Nikon F4 because I love the form factor so much.

I had assumed Nikon would keep manufacturing the D850 and and entry level DSLR for a few more years. I based this on Nikon's insistence to sell the film F6 after all these digital SLR years. I think the issue for Nikon right now is they can't make the Z9 fast enough. They will probably need to devote more production capacity to the Z9 and MILC models.

I HATE having to buy another system to duplicate what I was doing with the SLR system that was pretty complete. When I switched from Canon to Nikon, I sold my Canon 400mm 2.8 II for $3k and the Refurbed Nikon 400mm 2.8 AF-s II for $5k.
A MILC 400mm 2.8 Sony is $12, Nikon's 400mm 2.8 TC is $14k. Not an easy transition. I can use an adapter t the Z system but I am not ready to plunk down $5500 for a Z9 when my D850 is a year old.

mrbigstuff
mattkime

Really? An optical viewfinder is no different than a evf?

I prefer looking at an optical viewfinder. While I can work an EVF, it feels more like an electronic experience instead of being immersed in the scene.

That being said, I started moving to MILC and EVF due to elimination of the sound of mirror slap and shutter blade activation. Shooting silently is a must now because most people are used to the silence of smartphones. I can no longer do stealthy work with the sounds of an SLR for candid images.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 12, 2022 09:34PM
mattkime

Hey now! For some of us dinosaurs, that “flappy mirror” is like the smell of ink on paper or the feel of a hard bound book in your hands. big grin smiley

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 13, 2022 05:43AM
A flappy mirror was all we had back then. Plus, as pRICE said, even an old camera can still work just fine, and it's stupid expensive to replace it all.

Of course, there are a lot of people with a lot of money who can replace their equipment when the latest-and-greatest hits the market. But not all of us have that sort of disposable income...

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 13, 2022 07:43AM
Wow..

I still have my Nikon bodies starting with my first Nikon F2, then F2A, FM, FM2, F4, 8008, N90, D1, D2h, ending with a D600.

Hard to imagine a photo world without the F-mount.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 13, 2022 09:11AM
DP
But not all of us have that sort of disposable income...

And those of us who don't will be able to pick up great equipment at nice prices.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020