advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is it worth it to upgrade from a Roku 3 to a Roku Ultra?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 13, 2022 10:39PM
My kids watch TV via Roku. The 3 is long in the tooth and would like some reassurance that the Ultra is worth the upgrade. As best I can tell they both do basically the same thing but the Ultra should be faster / more responsive. We don't have a 4k TV. (poor us!)

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is it worth it to upgrade from a Roku 3 to a Roku Ultra?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 13, 2022 11:37PM
Idunno. Long in the tooth? I have 3 Apple TV 4Ks, but I have been stockpiling Roku Streaming Stick 4Ks for college students and parents. Seems pretty capable to me.

You've got about an hour or so to pick one up for $29.99 on Prime Day. Try it out a return it if not satisfied?
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 14, 2022 04:57AM
We had a Roku Ultra for the basement TV because I thought it would do better being farther away from the router. We had a lightning hit and lost the Roku. Before buying another Ultra I moved one of the Roku Express' that we had to the basement and it worked just fine. What I did find was that a TV that was even farther away had problems with streaming and a Roku Streaming Stick (that advertises long range wi-fi) was much better than the Express. So, I ultimately moved the Express from the farther-away TV to the basement TV and used the Streaming Stick on the farther-away TV.

So, ultimately I didn't find the Ultra to be any better than the Express in our situation (that's really just watching regular old streaming TV and occasionally YouTube). If you're having streaming problems of any sort it might be worth looking at the Streaming Stick although the Ultra should stream farther away, as well.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 14, 2022 09:23AM
Hm, might go AppleTV instead

Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 14, 2022 10:30AM
My wife is loving the Roku Streambar I got her. Works great, sounds good. Sounds great when you add the subwoofer.

She loves creepy stuff, and they always add a rumble for extra creepiness.
I listen to music on it with the screen off.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020