advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
large & in charge?!....GM plans to install network of EV fast chargers on U.S. highways....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 14, 2022 09:04AM
....at Pilot travel centers along U.S. highways.....about every 50 miles.....the chargers will be open to all electric vehicles that are compatible with DC fast charging.....

General Motors will build a network of EV fast chargers at Pilot travel centers along U.S. highways

GM and Pilot Co. plan to install EV fast chargers at 500 Pilot and Flying J locations along U.S. highways.

The chargers, about 2,000 in total, will be installed and operated by EVgo starting next year.

Once complete, the network will have fast chargers at intervals of about 50 miles along U.S. highways.

.....General Motors is building out a new network of EV fast chargers in partnership with Pilot Co., owner of the Pilot and Flying J highway travel centers, and EV charging network EVgo.

The companies will install a total of 2,000 fast chargers at 500 of Pilot’s locations along American highways at intervals of approximately 50 miles, they said Thursday. The partners expect to have a significant portion of those chargers installed and operating by the end of 2023.

“GM and Pilot Company designed this program to combine private investments alongside intended government grant and utility programs to help reduce range anxiety and significantly close the gap in long-distance EV charger demand,” said Pilot Co. CEO Shameek Konar in a statement.

The deal, which is expected to benefit from grants made available by the U.S. government, is part of a broader $750 million effort by GM to build out an accessible fast-charging network as it gears up to launch a series of new electric vehicles over the next few years.

The chargers will be installed, operated and maintained by EVgo and will include high-power fast chargers capable of charging at up to 350 kilowatts as well as charging stalls designed to accommodate electric vehicles that are towing trailers. The chargers will be open to all electric vehicles that are compatible with DC fast charging.

GM and EVgo previously announced a plan to install an additional 3,250 fast chargers in and around U.S. cities and suburbs by the end of 2025. GM is also working with its dealers in the U.S. and Canada to install up to 40,000 chargers in the dealers’ communities, an effort that is focused on “underserved rural and urban areas,” the company has said.

Studies have shown that drivers’ concerns about access to chargers along highways is a limiting factor in EV adoption.

“We are committed to an all-electric, zero-emissions future, and ensuring that the right charging infrastructure is in place is a key piece of the puzzle,” said GM CEO Mary Barra in a statement. “With travel centers across North America, Pilot Company is an ideal collaborator to reach a broad audience of EV drivers.”

EV chargers.......on U.S. highways......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2022 09:05AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: large & in charge?!....GM plans to install network of EV fast chargers on U.S. highways....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 14, 2022 09:12AM
Electric Truck charging stations coming soon as well. This is an expected evolution, and is a good thing.

Now put solar panels on the truck stops as well to feed the vehicles and the truck stop.
Re: large & in charge?!....GM plans to install network of EV fast chargers on U.S. highways....
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 14, 2022 09:46AM
That reminds me, I need to check on my buggy whip stocks.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 14, 2022 10:04AM
Lux Interior
That reminds me, I need to check on my buggy whip stocks.

always a market for buggy whips in the fast-growing S&M world. I would advise against going long into STP fuel additive.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 14, 2022 10:09AM
cbelt3
Electric Truck charging stations coming soon as well. This is an expected evolution, and is a good thing.

Now put solar panels on the truck stops as well to feed the vehicles and the truck stop.

agree smiley

Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 14, 2022 10:27AM
I'm Surprised Starbucks and Chili's (or the like) isn't getting into the game. As long as they're waiting they're buying. Chili's loves to have Turnover, and this would bring them in and get them out.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 14, 2022 10:45AM
Rolando
I'm Surprised Starbucks and Chili's (or the like) isn't getting into the game. As long as they're waiting they're buying. Chili's loves to have Turnover, and this would bring them in and get them out.

My local grocery store has a few tesla charging stations. Its certainly a possibility.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 14, 2022 10:53AM
cbelt,

This brings to mind... Why not put solar panels on the roof trailers. It's a nice, long flat surface. Why net let it feed tractors as they're moving along the highways? I don't see it as worthwhile on a regular car. Long distance truckers driving tractor-trailers? Local companies that use tractor-trailers or larger, longer trucks for pickups and deliveries? I can definitely see how they could prove helpful.

Robert
Posted by: jonny
Date: July 14, 2022 11:17AM
Giddy up!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 14, 2022 11:51AM
Robert M
cbelt,

This brings to mind... Why not put solar panels on the roof trailers. It's a nice, long flat surface. Why net let it feed tractors as they're moving along the highways?
Robert

Back of the envelope calc:

Solar panel = 15 W/sqft
Trailer = 53' x 8' = 424 sqft

So about 6 kW of power (not taking into account clouds/panel angle to get 15 w/sqft/etc).

A Tesla Semi claims to use ~2 kWh/mi @ 60 MPH ==> its needs 120 kW.

So the panels would provide ~5% of the power needed.
Date: July 14, 2022 12:09PM
Lux,

Think of how many semis are on the road. 5% may not seem like much on the surface but multiply that by the sheer number of electric semis that will eventually be on the road. That''ll be something! smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 14, 2022 02:49PM
Robert M
cbelt,

This brings to mind... Why not put solar panels on the roof trailers. It's a nice, long flat surface. Why net let it feed tractors as they're moving along the highways? I don't see it as worthwhile on a regular car. Long distance truckers driving tractor-trailers? Local companies that use tractor-trailers or larger, longer trucks for pickups and deliveries? I can definitely see how they could prove helpful.

Robert

In addition to what Lux said, there is another practical problem with putting the panels on the trailer. The tractor is often not permanently matched with one trailer; it often tows various trailers and picks up a different trailer, plus some loads aren't really compatible with solar panels (tankers, shipping containers).
Date: July 14, 2022 03:10PM
All,

All true. Still, it's worth exploring where feasible.

Robert
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 14, 2022 03:20PM
On the one hand, the trailers could be generating electricity even while parked, but on the other hand, much truck hauling is between sunset and sunrise.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 14, 2022 07:12PM
Currently, I'm pretty sure that distance BETWEEN Pilot Truck Stops along the U.S. Interstate Highway System is way more than 50 miles apart. I don't see that changing dramatically anytime soon.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 14, 2022 07:22PM
testcase
Currently, I'm pretty sure that distance BETWEEN Pilot Truck Stops along the U.S. Interstate Highway System is way more than 50 miles apart. I don't see that changing dramatically anytime soon.

Flying J in addition to Pilot. In some places I'm sure you're right, but there are also areas where the distance between Pilot and Flying J truck stops is less than 50 miles.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 14, 2022 07:47PM
It is a start.

There are only 500 planned locations nationwide. Estimating 50 miles average distance between stations is incredibly optimistic, even if you ONLY drive on trucking routes.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 14, 2022 08:56PM
Lux Interior
So about 6 kW of power (not taking into account clouds/panel angle to get 15 w/sqft/etc).

A Tesla Semi claims to use ~2 kWh/mi @ 60 MPH ==> its needs 120 kW.

So the panels would provide ~5% of the power needed.

They could also be limited to 3 mph but run FOREVER

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 14, 2022 09:16PM
Solar panels on trailers will too often subtract from the payloads. That would never fly. However, for lighter loads (think:Walmart, UPS) it could work. Because Walmart and UPS have captive trailers, they could also have batteries on board that could recharge whether connected to a tractor or not, no worry about theft. Just like always, the tractors would carry the necessary cabling.

The DC fast chargers would work great for trucking because the drivers can only drive 11 hours (and work 14 hours total) so trucks would usually be parked 10+ hours. It would be handy to have two fast chargers, one for the trailer and one for the tractor, or two for each. Of course, most Walmart and all UPS trucks return to their home terminals daily so they can customize charging and stations. They also have high capacity electrical services as well as large roofs. Many warehouses/terminals are located in places where wind turbines would be allowed.

Note that trucks with auxiliary power units (APUs) used for heating and cooling the cab plus 110v electrical generation are allowed a 400 pound over gross exception. However, I don’t foresee an allowance for the currently much heavier solar panels, etc.

>>>

The DC fast chargers would not work for those of us with legacy vehicles but then my 40+ mile range batteries would not be practical for fast charging on long trips, even if capable, so I would continue to use my Voltec PHEVs as the original designers envisioned their usage.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020