advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Carfax experts?
Posted by: kj
Date: July 14, 2022 01:36PM
I am looking at a car locally, and the carfax seems to say it has spent it's whole life in the city I am, which is great, but there are some oddities (changed the color to "grey", and it's pretty much black). I have noticed with my own cars that the info on carfax can be kind of messed up for no good reason, so how do I know if something is actually an issue? Are there well known ways to fake carfax reports? I could post a pdf, but I'm not sure how best to do that.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Carfax experts?
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 14, 2022 06:43PM
Carfax is an incomplete (at best) and a misleading (at worst) database. It presents information that may be correct, or may not be correct, as if it's vetted, correct info.

I'd take anything in there with a grain of salt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2022 07:02PM by Cary.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 14, 2022 06:58PM
agree smiley

CarFax can give you a general idea of what may have happened in a car's history. At one time it probably was the gold standard for vehicle history. But scammers and car dealers have learned to work the system. The biggest issues probably have to do with repairs done internally by dealers that never get reported to Carfax and "late reporting", where a seller rushes to get a repaired vehicle sold before an accident is reported on CarFax. Always check the date of a CarFax report that a seller provides. In our area dealers were taking in wrecked cars, and preprinting the Carfax reports it gave to buyers so the report was not up to date and did not alert buyers to an accident.

Carfax is pretty good at alerting buyers to the number of owners a car has had, and reasonably good at detecting rollbacks. But when it comes to vehicle condition, there is no replacement for a pre purchase inspection by a qualified mechanic and body shop.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: kj
Date: July 14, 2022 07:40PM
Good thought, I'll have a mechanic look at it if I decide I want it. It was sold at the dealer, has maintenance and emissions done at the dealer, and was sold back to the dealer, so it seems good, but why the color was reported changed to grey has me worried enough to have someone check it out (plus mechanicals, since it's not a toyota winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020