Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got reg gas for $3.85 today
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 15, 2022 08:52PM
In Madison, WI.

At a Kwik-trip. Not a “club price” or “cash price” or anything. No limit, available to anyone.

Fifty cents lower than Sam’s Club back in the Twin Cities. Yow!

PS - was an outlier, but not an extreme one. Circa $4/gal was pretty widely available.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got reg gas for $3.85 today
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 15, 2022 09:00PM
We dropped down to $3.95 elsewhere in WI.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 15, 2022 09:02PM
Prices dropped here in L.A. to just under $6, makes you want to rush out and buy an EV of any stripe.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 15, 2022 09:08PM
Prices dropped here in L.A. to just under $6, makes you want to rush out and buy an EV and put up solar panels and a wind turbine, or two.
==
Posted by: davester
Date: July 15, 2022 09:14PM
I hope that you guys realize that Europe and much of the rest of the world has had gas prices at around $8/gallon and higher for ages. A major reason for this is that they build the external costs of driving into the gas price (pollution cleanup, roads, etc.). Note that the sky has not fallen in all of those countries with high gas prices. However, also note that they do not have highways jammed with absurdly gigantic gas guzzling pickup trucks like we do here.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 15, 2022 09:18PM
I think I paid $5.69 outside Seattle today.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 15, 2022 09:36PM
Still $4.59 at the local place
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: July 15, 2022 09:38PM
$3.79/gal for regular at a few places around Myrtle Beach SC today.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 15, 2022 09:46PM
davester
I hope that you guys realize that Europe and much of the rest of the world has had gas prices at around $8/gallon and higher for ages. A major reason for this is that they build the external costs of driving into the gas price (pollution cleanup, roads, etc.). Note that the sky has not fallen in all of those countries with high gas prices. However, also note that they do not have highways jammed with absurdly gigantic gas guzzling pickup trucks like we do here.

Yeahhh.... You're right..... But....

We're not caring about them.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 15, 2022 10:06PM
Harbourmaster
$3.79/gal for regular at a few places around Myrtle Beach SC today.

The savings in gas alone has more than paid for your cross-country move, eh?
==
Posted by: gabester
Date: July 15, 2022 11:58PM
I was just near Madison recently and found some significantly cheaper gas too... Not below $4, but coming from Chicagoland at nearly $6 I was happy to pay only $4.50...

g=
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 16, 2022 12:18AM
12.312¢/kWH plus 1.43127¢ in taxes, fees, etc. = $13.74327/kWh. The battery has a useable capacity of 10.9 kWH (battery total = 16.5 kWh). I get about 47 miles on a charge this time of year for $1.498 or less than 1/3 the cost of a gallon of gas. I anticipate our Chevy Volt will require the use of one tank of gas (9 gallons) this year, whether we burn it or the computer (ECU) requires it.

The odometer reads 73,000 miles or about 7,500 miles/year. It will require an oil change some time in the decade after this one (perhaps 2033 or 2038; I use good oil). Same for brakes although at their current wear rate they will actually need to be replaced in about 2060 to 2080, assuming whoever we will the car to drives like we do (full regen mode, no measurable wear from new last time I had the pads and rotors checked). The tires will rot long before they wear out with tire rotation the only manufacturer’s scheduled maintenance in the next 25k miles.

My Cadillac ELR, with almost the same Voltec drivetrain as the Volt, does all our long trips and gets about 35 MPG and I rarely drive under 9 MPH over the limit on the interstates.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 16, 2022 04:03AM
I hope that you guys realize that Europe and much of the rest of the world has had gas prices at around $8/gallon and higher for ages.

I was told that same thing by a vet returning from Europe many years ago.

Didn't care then, don't now.

I paid $5.25 today at Costco.

I filled up at half a tank.

Would have had a stroke if I to fill from near E.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 16, 2022 07:15AM
vision63
davester
I hope that you guys realize that Europe and much of the rest of the world has had gas prices at around $8/gallon and higher for ages.

Are these the same countries that always flaunt the fact they get free universal healthcare every chance they get? I guess it evens out.

Posted by: gadje
Date: July 16, 2022 07:18AM
d4
vision63
davester

Are these the same countries that always flaunt the fact they get free universal healthcare every chance they get? I guess it evens out.

it does not even out. Healthcare is so much better and more important than cheap gas. There is also low cost or free higher education.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 16, 2022 07:20AM
d4
vision63
davester

Care to point out what you call "flaunting" by those countries ?
Posted by: kap
Date: July 16, 2022 07:42AM
davester

Truth!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 16, 2022 08:03AM
gadje
d4

it does not even out. Healthcare is so much better and more important than cheap gas. There is also low cost or free higher education.

Yeah. No one ever went broke or declared bankruptcy because of medical bills. RollingEyesSmiley5
Date: July 16, 2022 09:21AM
RgrF
d4
vision63
davester

Pretty much every European I know and work with.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 16, 2022 09:24AM
Still $6.79 here...and glad to not have to buy it very frequently.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: kap
Date: July 16, 2022 09:44AM
Markintosh
Still $6.79 here...and glad to not have to buy it very frequently.
A local 76 posts a $5.88 for 87 grade for both cash and credit payment. A rarity in SoCal.
WFH is the way to go; however, oil companies will jack up the price to make up the loss because folks would not have a daily work commute, and home insurance would increase because of potential work related injuries in the home. LOL!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 16, 2022 10:25AM
d4
RgrF

My experience (and I have lived in Europe) is more along the lines of, "You have to pay for that? Why?"

"Because I'm free!"
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 16, 2022 11:52AM
davester

But are they actually using the extra money for it's intended purposes?

Grateful11
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 16, 2022 12:22PM
Roads and bridges are funded at least partly by fuel taxes in America, which explains why every year we learn there’s never enough money to properly maintain all roads and bridges.

Some of ya’ll can “not care” about that to your heart’s content, I suppose.

$3.78 today. Across the street at the name brand pumps it is $3.87, to cynically snag those who only look at the last digit. In the modern way, both retailers are “convenience stores” making more money from inside sales than from whatever comes out of the ground.

It’s an interesting situation. The big name stations charge more, have likely fewer fuel customers as a result, and transfer less revenue to roads and bridges. Imagine if sales from candy bars and slushees helped fix infrastructure. We’d all be driving on golden highways.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 16, 2022 12:53PM
RAMd®d

I paid $5.25 today at Costco.

I filled up at half a tank.

Would have had a stroke if I to fill from near E.

Life is so regional. Paid $3.75 at Costco in Ringold, GA on Monday.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 16, 2022 01:18PM
$3.95 at Buc-ee's in New Braunfels Texas last night.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 16, 2022 01:38PM
Lux Interior
d4
RgrF

My experience (and I have lived in Europe) is more along the lines of, "You have to pay for that? Why?"

"Because I'm free!"

"Because I'm free, bro!" Don't forget the "bro!" at the end for emphasis. (Doesn't matter if you're speaking to a male or female)

Reg gas $4.39 by me in NY.

Posted by: Michael
Date: July 16, 2022 02:14PM
I paid $3.58 at a Shell station yesterday, using the T-Mobile Tuesday deal of $.25 off a gallon. I also noticed that the WalMart Murphy station was $3.63 when I drove by. That station has been $.10 to $.20 less than the other nearby stations for a while. I don't know if they're doing the Costco model of having a limited mark-up or just what it is.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 16, 2022 03:19PM
$3.99 @ Valero about 3 miles from us. Diesel is still too high at around $5.50.

Grateful11
Posted by: jh
Date: July 16, 2022 03:56PM
The federal fuel tax is 18.4 cents a gallon for gasoline and 24.4 cents a gallon for diesel, a level that hasn't changed since 1993. Federal gas taxes are put into the Highway Trust Fund which doles out money to the states.

For example:
The state where I live--Tennessee's gasoline tax: 27.4 cents per gallon (26-cent gasoline tax + 1.4-cent special petroleum fee) Diesel tax is 18 cents per gallon.

Like most states, Tennessee's gas taxes are used to pay for infrastructure projects improvements and maintenance, etc.

As more EV's are purchased and use the infrastructure the question will will be how will EV's help pay for infrastructure improvements, etc., if they are not paying a gas tax that most states use for infrastructure improvements?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 16, 2022 04:45PM
jh
The federal fuel tax is 18.4 cents a gallon for gasoline and 24.4 cents a gallon for diesel, a level that hasn't changed since 1993. Federal gas taxes are put into the Highway Trust Fund which doles out money to the states.

As more EV's are purchased and use the infrastructure the question will will be how will EV's help pay for infrastructure improvements, etc., if they are not paying a gas tax that most states use for infrastructure improvements?

I'd like to see a 5% charge for new vehicles, to cover them for five years, then a flat annual fee, maybe $100, to be split 60/40 by state/Fed.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 16, 2022 04:46PM
jh

in many states there's an additional tax on EVs at yearly registration. In GA I believe it's around $250. The only issue is that in many cases this tax number is pulled out of the regulators butt and is in excess of what the average gas driver pays in gasoline taxes a year. That's not fair, either.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 16, 2022 10:03PM
I was happy to pay $4.99 today here in Portland, OR. Wholesale prices have dropped a lot but the stations are still in profit taking mode. Another week or two until it will get below $4.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 17, 2022 12:17AM
graylocks
jh

in many states there's an additional tax on EVs at yearly registration. In GA I believe it's around $250. The only issue is that in many cases this tax number is pulled out of the regulators butt and is in excess of what the average gas driver pays in gasoline taxes a year. That's not fair, either.

In Minnesota EVs pay a $75 annual surcharge in place of the gas tax. However, a PHEV like our Volt does not pay this and because we use so little gas, we pay about $2.50 per year in state road taxes. We do pay sales tax and other fees on the electricity we use, though, which is about 12% added to the cost of the electricity we use. 12% of $5/gallon of gas is 60¢ so we pay more in taxes and fees than gassers do although, of course, we go a lot further per dollar of fuel cost.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2022 12:27AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 17, 2022 07:27AM
I got it for free the other day. But I think I ate too fast.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: pdq
Date: July 17, 2022 04:19PM
I saw regular for $3.79 the next day (again, in Madison).

Now we’re back home in MN, and it’s $4.49+

sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020