advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
More Electric Car Charging
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 16, 2022 12:45PM
Took my daughter for day trip in Austin, Tx.

Stopped for Gas at Buc-ee's Giant gas station.

And there were about 20 charging stations at the far end of the parking lot.

Park
Plug In
Shop and Spend for 1/2 hour
Leave.

I have a lot of political disagreements with the owner of Buc-ee's (although probably no more than any other Gas company) the stations are very nice and clean. Apparently partnering with Tesla.
[cleantechnica.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More Electric Car Charging
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 16, 2022 12:54PM
Is the charging free? A Buc-ees has opened in GA on I75.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: kj
Date: July 16, 2022 01:08PM
Sweet! He probably had to contract with NASA to figure that out <sarc>. I like electric cars more every day. Not that EVs never have problems, but I just spent an over an hour trying to get my ICE back home from a suburb. Fuel pump, I think. I'm not getting an EV until I have to change the fuel pump on one! <sarc again>
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 16, 2022 01:15PM
graylocks
Is the charging free? A Buc-ees has opened in GA on I75.

I doubt it. They don't offer gas for free either.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 16, 2022 01:22PM
kj
Sweet! He probably had to contract with NASA to figure that out <sarc>. I like electric cars more every day. Not that EVs never have problems, but I just spent an over an hour trying to get my ICE back home from a suburb. Fuel pump, I think. I'm not getting an EV until I have to change the fuel pump on one! <sarc again>

I was stuck in a traffic jam yesterday for about 45 minutes, when I finally got to see the cause, two of the 3 lanes were closed off, and there was a Chevy Bolt in the center lane being loaded onto a tow truck. There was no apparent body damage, although there were two other cars on the shoulder along with police cars. First thing that crossed my mind was that it ran out of battery charge. Maybe the other cars were an initial cause of a backup, and the Bolt was already running low and ran out from sitting in traffic with the AC running causing a second backup.
Date: July 16, 2022 01:35PM
GGD
kj

I was stuck in a traffic jam yesterday for about 45 minutes, when I finally got to see the cause, two of the 3 lanes were closed off, and there was a Chevy Bolt in the center lane being loaded onto a tow truck. There was no apparent body damage, although there were two other cars on the shoulder along with police cars. First thing that crossed my mind was that it ran out of battery charge. Maybe the other cars were an initial cause of a backup, and the Bolt was already running low and ran out from sitting in traffic with the AC running causing a second backup.

Everything breaks down, and I've run out of gas several times in my life. Plus, user error. But heck, my electric is a fricken' Fiat, and it hasn't required anything but plugging in and two tires for 3yrs. A Fiat! No gas car I've had can match that.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 16, 2022 01:37PM
It could have been as simple as getting a flat tire or a simple tap on the rear end...I think jumping to the conclusion that it ran out of charge is premature. The Bolt is very clear about when you're getting low on charge. It was unlikely due to running AC in traffic. I can sit in mine for hours and run the AC and drain the battery like 2%, if that. I've done that while waiting for my wife's hair appointment.

If a Bolt EV driver runs out of electrons, that's a sign of stupidity and not an indictment of the car, nor any EV.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: July 16, 2022 01:44PM
I agree, the Bolt has over double the range of my car, so if you run out around town that's all on you. My AC effect is about 10mi per charge. Pretty negligible, as you say. It's nice it doesn't affect engine power, too, btw.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 16, 2022 02:00PM
All else being equal, and EV is much less likely to break down due to the simplicity of their design.
Date: July 16, 2022 02:11PM
Carnos Jax
All else being equal, and EV is much less likely to break down due to the simplicity of their design.

I have faith that car companies can decrease simplicity to reduce that disparity over time. Sort of like they've increased the size and power of ICE vehicles to counter any gains in efficiency. It can't be easy, but they get 'er done.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 16, 2022 02:12PM
Markintosh
It could have been as simple as getting a flat tire or a simple tap on the rear end...I think jumping to the conclusion that it ran out of charge is premature. The Bolt is very clear about when you're getting low on charge. It was unlikely due to running AC in traffic. I can sit in mine for hours and run the AC and drain the battery like 2%, if that. I've done that while waiting for my wife's hair appointment.

If a Bolt EV driver runs out of electrons, that's a sign of stupidity and not an indictment of the car, nor any EV.

I agree about the reliability, which to me leaves "running out of gas" as the most likely remaining cause to see an undamaged EV disabled. It seems like whatever happened to this Bolt, it couldn't be driven to the shoulder and needed to be towed from the center lane.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 16, 2022 03:20PM
was a tire flat? i imagine like the Volt there’s no spare and a driver might not have been able to get over if in the left lane.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2022 03:43PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 16, 2022 03:21PM
Yup

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 16, 2022 04:32PM
I've run out of gas twice in my life, once because of ignoring the gauge too long, and once when I made a mental note the night before to fill up in the morning.

And promptly forgot.

Both time ended well, the first with coasting to the curb to park legally, the second with coasting off the freeway, down the on ramp, and up to a pump.

Well done, me!

So running out of charge on an eV isn't all that improbably or shameful to me, if that's what happened.

Most of us get a good 'feel' or watch the odo to know now long the needle can sit on E when a fill-up is inconvenient.

I imagine that might take some getting used to in an eV.

Someone I know bought the first Gen Leaf and thought it had the needed range for the to and from work.

It did, but with very little margin for error.

He could drive to work, and put it on the company chargers to 100%, but apparently that didn't quell the range anxiety.

I has suggested a Volt, but a 'pure' eV was a must.

He never ran out of juice that I know of, but he said there were times when he used more than expected, without realizing why.

To my credit, I never said 'I told you so'.

I don't know what he drives now, but it'll still be an eV.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 17, 2022 12:11AM
I’ve run out dozens of times but almost all were in a truck. What a pain.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 17, 2022 07:53AM
Markintosh

agree smiley

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: July 17, 2022 08:44AM
When I first got my Tesla, I admit to having a bit of range anxiety. But after a couple long trips and many about town ones, I no longer have range anxiety. The computer in the car does it for you. On long trips we stop for 10-20 minute stops every 200 miles or so...time to pee and grab a coffee and we're off again. There are so many superchargers around.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 17, 2022 09:31AM
modelamac
Markintosh

agree smiley

I suppose, in as much as a the driver of an ICE vehicle is also displaying their own stupidity.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 17, 2022 03:22PM
I would guess the Bolt speed-limits when the charge is low so you can only go 20 MPH or so for several miles.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 17, 2022 05:51PM
Speedy
I’ve run out dozens of times but almost all were in a truck. What a pain.

Semis never run out of gas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020