advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tall buildings: How high have you been?
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 16, 2022 10:14PM
I was reminiscing about my time in Seattle. The highest floor I went to meet with a client was on the 55th floor. As I recall, I had to change elevators. Looking out the window was like I was in an airplane.

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tall buildings: How high have you been?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 16, 2022 10:54PM
Top of the old World Trade Center, Empire State Building, and Sears Tower. Called my mom collect back in the SF Bay Area from all of them.

They've built taller buildings since, but I haven't gone "sky-hopping" in quite a while, plus mom died almost 20 years ago, and she's the only person that would accept a collect call from me. That, and with cell phones, there's really no need for collect calls anymore which takes the fun out of it.
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 16, 2022 10:55PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 16, 2022 11:00PM
Top of the Empire State Building, last floor before the observation deck in the World Trade Center, top of the Eiffel Tower. That’s enough for me, I don’t like heights.

JoeM
Posted by: hal
Date: July 16, 2022 11:25PM
Empire State Building is by far the highest building, but I've also been on top of Half Dome and Mount Whitney. Yosemite Falls is a great view too. The chute just below Forester Pass is the scariest thing I've walked through.

I climbed Lover's Leap with ropes & stuff (and a guy who really knew what he was doing)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 17, 2022 12:22AM
Top of the WTC in the 80s.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 17, 2022 12:59AM
In 1996 went to NYC. At the World Trade Center, they announced the roof deck was open.

My ex kept the photos!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 17, 2022 01:42AM
Highest I am certain of is the Gateway Arch. My father took us there not too long after it opened while we were visiting grandparents in St Louis. At that point they were just running one of the trams up and down for accessing the observation level at the top of the arch.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 17, 2022 01:51AM
Top of the Empire State Building and Eiffel Tower as well as the observation deck of the CN Tower in Toronto.

I never made it to the top of the WTC. By 2001 I’d been to the Towers twice but didn’t go to the top either time because… well, because I thought they’d always be there and I’d be able to do it another time.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 17, 2022 04:13AM
Empire State in ‘68. It was still the tallest building in the world.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 17, 2022 04:20AM
Prudential in Boston, I was in the pit they dug and then an ascent to the (years later) finished top - don't much like heights.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 17, 2022 05:13AM
I can't compete on overall height but I did get to visit the top floor of this building while it was under construction, before the windows were installed-

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 17, 2022 05:55AM
Top of the WTC observation deck in the late 90s.
Empire State Building about 4-5x
Eiffel tower twice.

Visitor center building at the top of Mount Haleakala on Maui at sunrise.
Above the clouds at 10,023 ft smiling smiley

Posted by: Cary
Date: July 17, 2022 07:46AM
Empire State Building multiple times
WTC multiple times
CN Tower in Toronto once
Eiffel Tower once

C!inner the Sake Path to the top of Masada - at the time, that seemed pretty high up...

CN Tower's glass floor section was the most unsettling.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: July 17, 2022 09:44AM
Sears tower bunch of times. It was scary when they added the transparent bump-outs.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 17, 2022 09:53AM
Probably the Sears tower.

Others:

Tour Eiffel
Tour Montparnasse
Empire State building
Grand Arch la Défense
The building on the top of the Aguille du Midi
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: July 17, 2022 10:27AM
As a Chicago Tour Guide, I take groups up in the Willis Tower pretty regularly. And I like to visit other observatories when I travel around the world. So I've been to many of the tallest, though not to Burj Khalifa or any of the new mainland Chinese ones.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 17, 2022 10:52AM
Observation Deck, Empire State Building, NYC 1964
Observation Deck, CN Tower, Toronto 1974
Top of the Hub, Prudential Tower, Boston, 1981 (post-woodpecker-heaven days)

Hiking the knife edge trail, Mount Katahdin, ME, 1977 (from Chimney Pond up the Cathedral Trail to the knife edge to Katahdin peak and then to Mount Pamola and down the Helon Taylor Trail, the reverse of the 'usual' hike).
[newengland.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Treeline in New England is roughly 4000 feet altitude.

=TC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2022 11:08AM by TheCaber.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 17, 2022 11:11AM
Sears Tower
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 17, 2022 11:30AM
WTC in the '80s.
John Hancock in the 1990s.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 17, 2022 01:00PM
Buzz
Top of the old World Trade Center, Empire State Building, and Sears Tower. Called my mom collect back in the SF Bay Area from all of them.

They've built taller buildings since, but I haven't gone "sky-hopping" in quite a while, plus mom died almost 20 years ago, and she's the only person that would accept a collect call from me. That, and with cell phones, there's really no need for collect calls anymore which takes the fun out of it.
==

Those are my same tallest buildings.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: July 17, 2022 01:06PM
Sears Tower
Empire State Building
Visitor’s Center on Pike’s Peak

Ran up the stairs on Pike’s Peak as a kid and got sick, my dad told the gift shop guy and he had a jug of ammonia under the counter that acted as generic smelling salts.

I like heights and climbed the 1k foot tower at the radio station I worked at back in the 70’s after bugging the engineer to go up with him when he had to maintain the warning lights. That was the most fun. The ladder was inside the triangular shaped tower so no real fear of falling but seeing the guy cables go by as we climbed past them and looking down and seeing the rotation at the top (about 20 foot or so) it was quite a thrill and the view with no pollution was phenomenal.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 17, 2022 01:35PM
Empire State
Space Needle
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 17, 2022 01:59PM
I've been in a plane. 36k feet I think they said. I win.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 17, 2022 08:10PM
Cary
CN Tower's glass floor section was the most unsettling.

Ain't that the truth! I deliberately omitted any reference to that in my earlier post because of that.

It is what it is.
Posted by: jh
Date: July 17, 2022 10:53PM
Not a building but pretty darn tall--1500 feet which roughly equals, according to Google, approximately 138 stories. And NO, I have NOT been up on towers such as these and have NO plans on going up towers such as these. Wonder what kind of life insurance these guys can get and then there is workers comp.

Show Me The Video.

Always time for a selfie.

20th Anniversary of the National Association of Tower Erectors video.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 18, 2022 01:55AM
Amateurs.

Nobody has made it to the Burj Khalifa?

Or (under construction; currently on hold) the Jeddah/Kingdom tower? 1 km tall:

(Nice little bar and viewing/party platform sticking out on the 157th floor, on the left).

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 18, 2022 09:28AM
One step away from a space elevator!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020