advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nissan Leaf headlight relay?
Posted by: timg
Date: July 18, 2022 12:38PM
ok, it's not mac related, or even apple related, but you guys seem to know (or at least have an opinion on) most things, so I thought I'd throw this out ...

my wife's nissan leaf (2104) headlights just stopped working. both at the same time.

in the googling I've done, there should be a relay that controls the headlights and 2 fuses, one for each headlight.

since the engineer in me can't believe both lights or both fuses went bad at the same time, I'm thinking it may be this relay.

unfortunately, I have been unable to ascertain the location of this relay in the car.

anyone have any information that might help?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nissan Leaf headlight relay?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 18, 2022 12:56PM
Should be wherever fuses are, inside, under the hood etc. Look for a rectangular "box" to unplug.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 18, 2022 01:02PM
timg
ok, it's not mac related, or even apple related, but you guys seem to know (or at least have an opinion on) most things, so I thought I'd throw this out ...

my wife's nissan leaf (2104) headlights just stopped working. both at the same time.

in the googling I've done, there should be a relay that controls the headlights and 2 fuses, one for each headlight.

since the engineer in me can't believe both lights or both fuses went bad at the same time, I'm thinking it may be this relay.

unfortunately, I have been unable to ascertain the location of this relay in the car.

anyone have any information that might help?

I would start with the simplest solution and check the bulbs!

I've had both bulbs go out in another car at the same time, as well as at least two in a chandelier with several of the same bulbs from new. It's not so far fetched if you consider that both would have been made and installed at the same time from identical components, and subjected to the same use and wear over time.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 18, 2022 01:24PM
[fuseandrelay.com]

Seems to be separate relays for daytime running lights, low and high. Which might aid in the troubleshooting (i.e. if one of those functions is dead but the others work).
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 18, 2022 01:42PM
Could be a ground as well. I would start with replacing the bulbs first though, just to make sure.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 18, 2022 02:20PM
I would also consider the possibility of the switch too.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: July 18, 2022 02:29PM
Gareth
[fuseandrelay.com]

Seems to be separate relays for daytime running lights, low and high. Which might aid in the troubleshooting (i.e. if one of those functions is dead but the others work).

running lights work, high beams work. only normal low beams are not working.

I see the relay for DTRL, which I assume to mean running lights, but is H/L WASH the relay for the headlights?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 18, 2022 03:49PM
If it's a 2104 model, shouldn't it be under warranty?smiley-laughing001
Date: July 18, 2022 03:59PM
macphanatic
If it's a 2104 model, shouldn't it be under warranty?smiley-laughing001

I see you cracked yourself up there. nice.

I'm glad my typo could bring some laughter to the world!

Date: July 18, 2022 04:06PM
timg
I see the relay for DTRL, which I assume to mean running lights, but is H/L WASH the relay for the headlights?

I assume it's for headlight washers. I read that article too quickly and may have been looking at the fuses.

Have you actually looked at the fuses? It's entirely possible for both to burn out simultaneously if there's another issue (i.e. a short somewhere).

And what type of headlights do you have? I assume halogen, but LED was an option.
Date: July 18, 2022 04:08PM
Gareth
timg

I assume it's for headlight washers. I read that article too quickly and may have been looking at the fuses.

Have you actually looked at the fuses? It's entirely possible for both to burn out simultaneously if there's another issue (i.e. a short somewhere).

And what type of headlights do you have? I assume halogen, but LED was an option.

What in the world is a headlight washer??

anyway, I have not looked at the fuses yet - was too dark last night and I am working today. will look later.

according to google, there's a possibility that the low beams are LED and the high beams are halogen.

Posted by: PeterW
Date: July 18, 2022 04:44PM
Euro requires headlight washer jets to be installed on cars sold there.
Date: July 18, 2022 04:45PM
timg

Same thing as a windshield washer, but for headlights! Makes more sense if you live in a bad weather climate. Being in sunny SoCal, I didn't even realize my car had headlight washers until the system started to leak! And then some bastard stole the body colored covers!
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 18, 2022 07:27PM
Gareth
timg

Same thing as a windshield washer, but for headlights! Makes more sense if you live in a bad weather climate. Being in sunny SoCal, I didn't even realize my car had headlight washers until the system started to leak! And then some bastard stole the body colored covers!

That's it. Chevrolet offered them as an option in 1969 on Novas, Chevelles, and Impalas, but apparently found few takers.

[www.oldcarbrochures.org]

They're quite common on more expensive European cars, though.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 18, 2022 11:00PM
I think the H/L WASH relay is for the wipers (speed/interval) and windshield washer.

I saw a BMW or Benz years back with little wipers on the headlights.

Cracked me up.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 19, 2022 12:49AM
ok, well, I really do think it was the relay now.

Went to look at it more tonight and everything was working as expected, so I suppose
that rules out the bulbs and the fuses and the switch.

maybe the relay was temporarily stuck yesterday and it unstuck itself today ...

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 19, 2022 07:27AM
timg

Went to look at it more tonight and everything was working as expected, so I suppose

Maybe not an easily found fix but at least it was a cheap one and the members of this forum are nothing if not cheap.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 19, 2022 10:42AM
An overly broad definition of 'fix'.

A co-worker drove into work one day with one of her car's headlight's out.

Telling her she had a broken headlight she said 'It's not broken, if I hit it a couple of times, it comes on'.

I told her 'If you have to hit it for it to work, it's broken'.

I'd still track down the relay and it's location, just in case.

It's maybe a little pricey to be on the shelf, 'just in case'.

But if it happens again, it could make a more permanent repair a very quick fix.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 19, 2022 10:49AM
timg

Or you have a bad ground somewhere and something shifted or changed to make it work well enough now. It could stop working if that changed again.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: July 21, 2022 02:17PM
Just tell your wife that it works fine, there is nothing wrong with it and she must have been imagining the whole thing. They love that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020