advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ford Focus EV's are now disposable
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 18, 2022 09:36PM
A family paid $11,000 for a used 2014 Ford Fusion Focus electric hybrid with 60,000 miles for their teen daughter. Six months later it started acting up and they were told it needed a new battery - cost $14,000. The kicker? Even if they wanted it, Ford no longer has the batteries since the car is no longer made.

[news.yahoo.com]

Maybe the family should have researched battery life and replacement cost, but few people would think that an eight-year-old car would be abandoned by the manufacturer. There were more than 40,000 fusion hybrids sold, nearly all will be needing batteries in the next few years - batteries that don't exist. Is this a sign of things to come as battery packs remain proprietary? How many other car makers will have similar issues as models change?

edit - corrected car model
edit 2 - forgot to correct the subject line

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2022 11:29AM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ford Fusions EV's are now disposable
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 18, 2022 09:41PM
I thought there was a law that when a maufacturer discontinued a car they still had to make parts for it for either ten or twenty years.

Edit: I looked this up and apparently it is not true. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2022 09:50PM by rgG.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 18, 2022 09:48PM
I guarantee you Teslas won’t have this problem. One reason I’ll be sticking with Teslas. I don’t trust the incumbent car makers to get long term (or short term) reliability right. Either they’ll design in planned obsolescence or try to keep their dealers alive with future work….DISGUSTING!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 18, 2022 09:52PM
There are second-party battery companies. We got one for our 2003 Prius back in 2018 before we sold it.
Date: July 18, 2022 09:53PM
^^^ I thought so, but I only know for sure about Toyotas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2022 09:54PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 18, 2022 09:54PM
rgG
I thought there was a law that when a maufacturer discontinued a car they still had to make parts for it for either ten or twenty years.

Edit: I looked this up and apparently it is not true. sad smiley

There is a requirement that they support an EV for 8 year after the model was released, but doesn't require they doit by making the necessary parts.

There are a few companies out there advertising they rebuild EV battery packs, but have no knowledge of how good any particular company is.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 18, 2022 09:55PM
Carnos Jax
I guarantee you Teslas won’t have this problem. One reason I’ll be sticking with Teslas. I don’t trust the incumbent car makers to get long term (or short term) reliability right. Either they’ll design in planned obsolescence or try to keep their dealers alive with future work….DISGUSTING!

A friend’s son has a Tesla that has a problem with some sort of sensor or camera in the door. It has been in the shop for weeks waiting for the part or them trying to fix it.
He also had a long wait to get a new door after someone backed into him.
This is only anecdotal, but I would be a little leary of getting a Tesla repaired after hearing of his troubles.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 18, 2022 09:58PM
Thank the lord that we have another thread to argue about EV's because the other one just dropped off page one.

burnout smiley

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 18, 2022 10:00PM
From my perspective, most, if not all car manufacturers are using supply chain shortages as an excuse to stop making replacement parts.

I have a 2014 Ford CMAX Hybrid in the shop. Transmission is shot. Transmission is not available. Parts to repair transmission are not available. Eight year old car.

Crazy...
rgG
Carnos Jax

A friend’s son has a Tesla that has a problem with some sort of sensor or camera in the door. It has been in the shop for weeks waiting for the part or them trying to fix it.
This is only anecdotal, but I would be a little leary of getting a Tesla repaired after hearing of his troubles.

This is currently due to the general part shortages in supply chains everywhere. Other manufacturers are having the same problem. However, Tesla, being that it is still new and growing company, HAS focused their limited resources on production growth, at the willful cost of product support. There are some horror stories out there. They WILL in time sort that out (as they do with everything).
Posted by: GGD
In CA they're required to warranty the battery for 10yrs or 150,000 miles.

Not sure how Ford can claim the don't have the battery unless they never sold any in CA.
Date: July 18, 2022 10:12PM
No parts to replace a battery under that CA warranty, company buys back the car. Has happened to some owners out there.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 18, 2022 10:15PM
Markintosh
Thank the lord that we have another thread to argue about EV's because the other one just dropped off page one.

burnout smiley

this

Posted by: Acer
Date: July 18, 2022 10:47PM
There's going to be shakeout in a new industry, but if Ford wants to sell EVs in the future, it had better stand behind the EVs it sold in the past.

Or, they could do what GM did, recall every one of their EV1s and scrap them. At least the owner got some compensation, and the things were taken off the market so that some unsuspecting used buyer down the line didn't get shafted.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 18, 2022 11:00PM
Rebuilt battery for the 2014 Ford Fusion hybrid with 3yr warranty, $2950.
[www.greentecauto.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2022 11:00PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 18, 2022 11:02PM
For the record, it's a Ford Focus, not Fusion. But the OP is 100% otherwise.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 19, 2022 12:26AM
Ford needs to do a better job warrantying their electric or hybrid cars.
By comparison, you'll get a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on the HV battery on a Toyota Prius. A new battery from Toyota will cost about $4,000.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 19, 2022 12:26AM
JoeH
No parts to replace a battery under that CA warranty, company buys back the car. Has happened to some owners out there.

The Golden State.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 19, 2022 02:12AM
Acer
Or, they could do what GM did, recall every one of their EV1s and scrap them. At least the owner got some compensation, and the things were taken off the market so that some unsuspecting used buyer down the line didn't get shafted.

GM was always the owner of all the EV1s, they were never sold, just leased.

The EV1 was made available through limited lease-only agreements, initially to residents of the cities of Los Angeles, California, and Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona.[8] EV1 lessees were officially participants in a "real-world engineering evaluation" and market study into the feasibility of producing and marketing a commuter electric vehicle in select U.S. markets undertaken by GM's Advanced Technology Vehicles group.[9][10] The cars were not available for purchase, and could be serviced only at designated Saturn dealerships. Within a year of the EV1's release, leasing programs were also launched in San Francisco and Sacramento, California, along with a limited program in the state of Georgia.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: pqrst
Date: July 19, 2022 04:32AM
Here is some info about Ford Fusion battery packs. Looks like rebuilt non-oem packs are a few thousand.

[trucksauthority.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2022 04:34AM by pqrst.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 19, 2022 06:41AM
I did get the car model wrong - it is a Ford Focus, not a Fusion.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 19, 2022 07:20AM
rgG
Carnos Jax

Our neighbor had the same problem. Component failure and his car was at the dealer for over 2 months. Fortunately, he had another car to use.

Edit: This was just before Covid hit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2022 07:22AM by macphanatic.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 19, 2022 08:09AM
We got a 7 (I think?) year warranty on the battery for new Leaf so I would hope they keep supply around for at least that long!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 19, 2022 09:02AM
Doesn't it seem to be the case that folks with evs need the warranty to begin around 7 years, not end? Or, be pro-rata?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 19, 2022 09:07AM
People are just dumb.

#1 Why would you take an out of warranty car to the dealership?

#2 Do they not know how Google works? I found battery packs in 30 seconds and another 30 seconds to find a shop that installs said battery packs.

#3 Who buys an EV without doing any research at all?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 19, 2022 09:19AM
C(-)ris
#1 Why would you take an out of warranty car to the dealership?

For usually better knowledge of car, more experienced mechanics, and deeper supply of OEM parts.

C(-)ris
#3 Who buys an EV without doing any research at all?

Too many buy (and have been buying for over 100 years) ICE cars "without doing any research at all". Nothing new here.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 19, 2022 09:55AM
I was going to recommend this. They supply batteries for Chevy Volts too.

Tiangou
[www.greentecauto.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: July 19, 2022 10:15AM
ztirffritz

Tiangou
[www.greentecauto.com]

Site doesn't have listings for the Ford Focus battery, any site that does? This topic became confusing since the model was identified incorrectly in the first post initially.
Date: July 19, 2022 12:27PM
JoeH
ztirffritz

Tiangou
[www.greentecauto.com]

Site doesn't have listings for the Ford Focus battery, any site that does? This topic became confusing since the model was identified incorrectly in the first post initially.

Many places like that will rebuild an EV battery or be able to send a battery out for a rebuild for you. Or you can reach out to one of these places:
[html.duckduckgo.com]

A custom rebuild might be up to a couple of thousand dollars over the price of a ready-made rebuilt-battery.

Date: July 19, 2022 12:54PM
Tiangou
Many places like that will rebuild an EV battery or be able to send a battery out for a rebuild for you. Or you can reach out to one of these places:
[html.duckduckgo.com]

Your search actually is not all that useful, maybe you should take a look?
Re: Ford Focus EV's are now disposable
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 19, 2022 02:20PM
Simpson's kid: Ha-ha!
Date: July 19, 2022 05:30PM
JoeH
Tiangou
[html.duckduckgo.com]

Maybe you see different results, or are only looking for Ford EV batteries.

I see a couple of dozen hybrid and EV battery repair places listed on the first couple of pages (and some electric bike shops). Tried limiting the search to Florida, (where the family mentioned in the OP lives) and a bunch more floated to the top.

Date: July 19, 2022 05:39PM
Tiangou
JoeH
Tiangou
[html.duckduckgo.com]

Maybe you see different results, or are only looking for Ford EV batteries.

I see a couple of dozen hybrid and EV battery repair places listed on the first couple of pages (and some electric bike shops). Tried limiting the search to Florida, (where the family mentioned in the OP lives) and a bunch more floated to the top.

The first two pages of results I got were heavy on blogs stating it was possible, some were more ads of the "hire me and I'l show you how to make a business of it" type. Almost none with connections to actual companies doing rebuilding of battery packs for electric vehicles.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 19, 2022 07:13PM
Ford Focus Electric is a pure EV, not a hybrid...hybrid batteries are tiny compared to battery packs for pure EVs.

Still, the same battery pack was used in 2015 & 2016 models which are still in warranty for the battery pack (8 years or 100,000 miles) so the battery pack should be available, even if it is not economical to replace versus a hybrid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2022 07:14PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: kj
Date: July 19, 2022 07:42PM
That must be yet another compliance car. I didn't know they made that one. I bet they sold a lot more Sparks. Every EV I've looked at has a 10yr. warranty, which I think is pretty reasonable. Like others, I'd be looking for a rebuild or an aftermarket solution. Not optimal, but I'm not surprised they've orphaned the focus, as there can't have been many sold. It would be interesting to know who made the battery pack. The individual cells are readily available for most of the major packs.
Date: July 19, 2022 07:53PM
There are a bunch of sites that came up for batteries for other EVs, and if you actually visit any of the hybrid-rebuild sites, about half have a "contact us" note about EVs.

Worst case: Pay freight for a rebuild from another state and a recycle fee on top of the install.

With a half hour of phone calls, the people in that story could have found a solution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2022 07:54PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 19, 2022 08:08PM

With a half hour of phone calls, the people in that story could have found a solution.

But think of all the unemployed clickbait writers.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 21, 2022 06:32PM
kj
That must be yet another compliance car. I didn't know they made that one. I bet they sold a lot more Sparks. Every EV I've looked at has a 10yr. warranty, which I think is pretty reasonable. Like others, I'd be looking for a rebuild or an aftermarket solution. Not optimal, but I'm not surprised they've orphaned the focus, as there can't have been many sold. It would be interesting to know who made the battery pack. The individual cells are readily available for most of the major packs.

Yes, unfortunately.

I bet Ford is holding all remaining replacement battery packs for the still-in-warranty 2015 & 2016 models.

In a couple of years once even those models are out-of-warranty (based on age alone) the family might be able to get one direct from Ford.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2022 06:33PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 24, 2022 04:05PM
I think the Ford Focus EV must be the red-headed bastard step child of the (EV) car industry. I've never heard of it before.

First mistake was buying any vehicle with the Ford Focus moniker. wink smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020