advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
everything old is new again?!....1st U.S. case of polio in NY State....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 21, 2022 12:44PM
.....diseases are just coming out left and right.....1st case in U.S. in decade.....in Rockland County.....

New York resident tests positive for polio, first reported U.S. case in nearly a decade

The New York State Department of Health said the person who tested positive for the disease lives in Rockland County, about 30 miles north of Manhattan.

.....A New York resident has tested positive for polio, the highly contagious viral disease that can cause muscle weakness, paralysis and death, state health officials said Thursday.

The New York State Department of Health said the person who tested positive for the disease lives in Rockland County, about 30 miles north of Manhattan.

The last known case of polio recorded in the U.S. was in 2013, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Both the New York State Department of Health and the Rockland County Department of Health are urging healthcare providers to be on the lookout for additional cases.

The health departments also said people who are not vaccinated against polio should get vaccinated and those who are at risk of exposure should get a booster. The county is hosting vaccine clinics in the coming days.

“Many of you may be too young to remember polio, but when I was growing up, this disease struck fear in families, including my own,” County Executive Ed Day said. “The fact that it is still around decades after the vaccine was created shows you just how relentless it is. Do the right thing for your child and the greater good of your community and have your child vaccinated now.”

The type of polio that the Rockland County resident has is "indicative of a transmission chain from an individual who received the oral polio vaccine," the New York State Department of Health said. The oral vaccine has not been used in the U.S. since 2000, indicating that the virus might have originated from somewhere outside the U.S.

Cases of polio were cut drastically in the 1950s and 1960s after the development of the vaccine.

It typically enters the body through the mouth "usually from hands contaminated with fecal matter of an infected person," according to the New York State Department of Health. "Respiratory and oral-to-oral transmission through saliva may also occur."

Polio is very contagious and a person can spread the virus even if they don't have symptoms, which can take up to 30 days to appear.

coming...........back..........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2022 10:29PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: everything old is new again?!....1st U.S. case of polio in NY State....
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 21, 2022 02:57PM
There are a LOT of anti-vac anything people that live in Rockland County so no surprise there...

According to the WP the person that got polio was exposed on a trip to Europe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2022 04:14PM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 21, 2022 04:59PM
Nature is weeding out the weak [minded]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 21, 2022 10:22PM
2013 is hardly “decades” ago.

It is what it is.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: July 22, 2022 06:45AM
[www.ny.gov]

If I recall correctly, they had a measles outbreak a few years back.

[rocklandgov.com]

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2022 06:52AM by wowzer.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 22, 2022 11:26AM
wowzer
[www.ny.gov]

If I recall correctly, they had a measles outbreak a few years back.

[rocklandgov.com]

Yes; as Lizabeth points out, it's an anti-vax hot spot, so no surprise.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 22, 2022 04:09PM
.....further details....the young person caught it from someone who got the oral vaccine, which contains live virus [ got it outside U.S. ] and isn't given any more in the U.S....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 09:29AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 23, 2022 08:58AM
NewtonMP2100
.....further details....the young person caught it from someone who got the oral vaccine, which contains live virus and isn't given any more....

The oral, live virus vaccine is still in regular use outside the US in areas where polio is still endemic. Travelers to those areas may have the oral vaccine recommended before going there as it gives better protection from infections through the gut by contaminated food and water. It is not in general use in the US anymore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 55
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020