advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Saw the Elvis film
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 21, 2022 08:26PM
I didn't stay for the end but it was enjoyable. I was wearing my Crown Electric t-shirt for the screening which should give you an idea of where I am on Elvis.

I thought the kid playing him did a reasonable job of portraying Elvis. That's gotta be like trying to convince an audience that you're the moon or something equally impossible but he did okay.

I'm really glad they gave space to show the mini story of Elvis and BB King, and Elvis in the black churches.

In the early 1990s I worked with a guy whose wife came from Tupelo and Memphis. Her mom and dad knew Elvis' mom and dad, and helped watch over Elvis' mom when Vernon went to prison. It was the old south. They made their own crude pine gin, the girls did, and both she and Gladys died of cirrhosis of the liver. She always said of Vernon that he was "so work shy".

I tried to explain to my teenager on the way to the viewing what Elvis meant to the world in the 1950s/60s/70s. I said I rated him right up there with the atomic bomb in importance to the 20th century cannon.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Saw the Elvis film
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 21, 2022 10:23PM
On one hand, it's Elvis.
On the other hand, its Bad Luhrman.

I'll re-watch the 68 Comeback Special until that comes out Netflix!

I do wonder how it compares to the 1990 TV Show starring Michael St Gerard
And I just found out there was a 2005 Miniseries as well.

I do think the King's story is too big for one movie.
I'd make one from the Sun Years to the when He's drafted.

Another covering the early sixties bad movies and pretty good country music ending with the 68 Special

And one covering the jumpsuit years to his death.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 21, 2022 11:37PM
Elvis should be a project for Ken Burns or his brother. Or rock and roll. Or the 50’s. Or the cold War.
Date: July 22, 2022 07:22AM
It already was for Peter Guralnick. Elvis I mean.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2022 07:24AM by chopper.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 22, 2022 09:13AM
Just read that Shonka Dukureh, who portrayed singer Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton in Elvis has died. She was 44.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: July 22, 2022 09:38AM
That's too bad. She did a great job of portraying Big Mama.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020