advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Let me share my cbelt style story
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 22, 2022 03:33PM
Most days of the week I'm getting up at 5am to go for a bike ride with other like minded individuals - we like to ride, we have responsibilities, and we like to ride fast but we're not jerks about it.

Chip seal - I had seen it on city streets but not country roads. Its one of the few ways of repaving where the road is genuinely less safe when the process is complete. Signage is minimal and the freshly 'paved' section isn't terribly discernible from regular pavement. In a car, you'd hear the gravel and slow. On a bike (in a corner, with a downward slope) if you're not lucky, you have a moment where you KNOW you don't have traction before you go down. I definitely PRed for road rash, probably bleeding too. My crew took good care of me, and let me back on the bike after I recited a few recent facts to establish my state of mind.

Oh, more details - chip seal is a layer of tar and then they dump pea sized gravel and leave. They let traffic mash it into the tar. It may take a month or more for the road to return to its normal level of traction. Its cheap. I'm pretty sure I found my patch the day after it was put down. A week later there was dramatically less gravel.

Anyway, I'm mostly healed but I learned a few things about bandaging wounds. Its good to keep them covered and somewhat moist, but not too long. I went too long and got a couple of rashes around the injury sites. Not a huge deal but annoying. Large bandages are expensive but much cheaper on amazon. We probably spent about $100 at Walgreens before buying in bulk online. Its genuinely unclear to me whether I'll have any scars. Maybe maybe not. I had a couple of deep gouges that might have sent me to the doctor if not for my wife the nurse.

The accident has definitely messed with my head a bit. Its made me acutely aware that riding a bike means putting faith in a few square inches of rubber on the pavement. I was good and angry for a solid ten days after the accident - I can't believe we routinely create such road hazards with such little warning. I surveyed local cyclists via a facebook group and got two responses evenly divided "I have scars from that too" and "what did you expect?"

Now I expect cbelt to outdo me - larger hazard, injuries, etc.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let me share my cbelt style story
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 22, 2022 03:43PM
Biking is great for your health, except when it’s not.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 22, 2022 04:18PM
I’ll play cbelt! smiling smiley

I’ve liked to go fast on a bike since I was a kid.

Ridden a road bike many thousands of miles in western North America.

I used to go down to the pavement every few years in the spring due to sand and gravel liberally applied over the winter. And learned to respect train tracks when wet.

Passed lines of cars slowing down for passes in Yellowstone.

My favorite run ever was coming out the South Entrance of Yellowstone during the final stages of repavement.

Below Lewis Lake, the road starts getting hilly and windy, then drops about 2500 feet over a few miles, with two long straightaways.

The road crew was painting shoulder stripes, and stopping traffic for about 20 min. I went through with a group of cars, passed the road crew a little further on, and then had the whole road to myself. Hit speeds in the 60s, but was acutely aware what a pebble would do to 1” road tires.

Sometimes encountered wildlife and livestock hazards, and dogs, of course.

Another time, riding north towards Yellowstone while training for a big tour, I was forced off the road by a R.V. My bike was three days old.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2022 04:26PM by btfc.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 22, 2022 04:19PM
Ooooo, so sorry to hear this.
Glad you are on the mend, but that is scary.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 22, 2022 04:23PM
Chip seal is popular around my Idaho place and yes, it can be miserable on a bike. Tough on windshields too.

Another time, just started descending a major pass in Montana. Front and rear panniers. I felt a pain in my hand, and looked down to see a bee stinging me.

Instinctively I slapped at it, which resulted in speed wobbles due to the front packs. I was going about 40mph. Thought I was going down, but was able to stabilize.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2022 04:46PM by btfc.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 22, 2022 04:42PM
" Its made me acutely aware that riding a bike means putting faith in a few square inches of rubber on the pavement"

and local gummints ability to do anything right.
round these parts, they brarely get pot holes right.
this is why I've taken to riding in a state park.
there is less chance of having an event.

and there are no pin-headed, conveniently blind, jack asses in $80k mv's that know they are entitled.
just gotta watch for families walking and stretched across the entire width of a 20' path.
Humans are dumb, selfish and unreliable.
The deer in the park skedaddle when they see a human.
As do chipmunks, squirrels, pterodactyls and tree stumps.

I'm too old for events, I don't like the smell of hospitals or medicine in general.
My spouse, a PT, tends to agree with me on that.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 22, 2022 05:06PM
Didn't they have this problem the other day on the Tour du France??? I remember seeing/hearing something like this.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 22, 2022 05:55PM
I hate, hate, hate, cheap seal. They did the streets in my neighborhood. For the next 14 months I was getting the shedding gravel stuck in the calipers of my car's brakes every time I drove home. It would also leave a trail up my driveway and drop off in the garage.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 22, 2022 06:58PM
“Forget it, Matt. It’s Sconnietown.” It’s a Wisconsin tradition, I wiped out on my motorcycle about six years ago thanks to the same crappy road surfacing hijinks near Blue Mounds.

A few months ago I was on one of my favorite backroad routes to Spring Green and came around a blind curve (on a 55 mph road, quite entertaining), only to find a huge F150-size pickup coming straight at me, at least three feet into my side of the road. I swerved to the right thanks to instincts learned over decades of riding and emerged unscathed.

I obviously can’t prove this, but I KNEW in my bones that if that guy had hit me he wouldn’t have stopped, he just would have taken off, it was an utterly isolated area and nobody would have seen him.

For the rest of my ride home, I couldn’t escape the idea that after 40+ years of riding, it was finally time to pack it in. So last month I sold my beloved Street Triple R and today I placed an order for a 2023 Subaru BRZ Limited.

Sorry to veer off topic, but riding a two-wheeled vehicle in the Madison area has become more and more dangerous thanks to the idiotic road construction techniques and inattentive drivers.

Date: July 22, 2022 07:32PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Sorry to veer off topic, but riding a two-wheeled vehicle in the Madison area has become more and more dangerous thanks to the idiotic road construction techniques and inattentive drivers.

I started riding in nyc so I think the roads around here are generally pretty damn good. Every once in a while there's an @#$%& driver but generally speaking drivers are pretty damn nice.

I would like to figure out a way to improve signage for chip seal....

Posted by: chopper
Date: July 22, 2022 08:01PM
Bicycles are very dangerous.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 22, 2022 08:01PM
mattkime
I would like to figure out a way to improve signage for chip seal....

They could start by actually having some.

Posted by: Michael
Date: July 22, 2022 08:37PM
Lizabeth
Didn't they have this problem the other day on the Tour du France??? I remember seeing/hearing something like this.

I recall it, as well, from a couple of days ago. There was a newly redone road and it had a lot of gravel on it. They showed the street sweeper taking it off but the commentator stood at the side and showed how much was still there. Later (I think it was the same day) a rider came into a corner too fast, slowed down but then went down in the gravel.
Date: July 22, 2022 08:41PM
Michael
There was a newly redone road and it had a lot of gravel on it. They showed the street sweeper taking it off but the commentator stood at the side and showed how much was still there. Later (I think it was the same day) a rider came into a corner too fast, slowed down but then went down in the gravel.

At first I thought there's no way it could be the same problem but that sounds pretty close to what I experienced.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 22, 2022 10:51PM
They don't use that method in these parts but they go nuts with the tar snakes for cracks, which make you go all squirrelly when on a two wheeler. Lately, I think that the bike lobby has got the highway departments to reduce its use.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 23, 2022 12:40AM
I don't remember seeing a Street Triple R in For Sale... whine smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 23, 2022 03:15AM
I feel your pain. Good luck on your recovery.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020