advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Outdoor Movie screen and speaker recomentations?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 23, 2022 02:19PM
Looking at getting an outdoor movie night going in the neighborhood. I already have a projector with 5000 lumens and 1080p resolution. Projector supports up to a 300" screen. I'm shooting for around 200" realistically I believe. Looking for a standing screen that can be used in multiple locations.

Also wondering what to use for sound. Maybe something like this? [www.amazon.com]

I don't really need the microphone though.

Anyone doing something similar?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Outdoor Movie screen and speaker recomentations?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 23, 2022 03:12PM
A local bar uses inflatable screens for watch parties.
[www.amazon.com]

I think multiple smaller speakers work better than a big speaker or pair blasting sound.
JBL supports linking speakers wirelessly. The speaker you chose does have an aux input, which will give you lagless sound (no sync issues)

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 03:14PM by Rolando.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 23, 2022 03:17PM
Why settle?
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: timg
Date: July 23, 2022 11:12PM
We set up something on a smaller scale in our backyard.

Screen is only 120 inches though. it's an aluminum frame and the screen attaches to it with snaps. It's actually pretty quick to put up and take down.

We went cheap on the sound - just using the kids JBL flip 4 bluetooth paired to the fireTV. For our uses it sound great, but if you are going with the bigger screen you probably need the bigger sound.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 24, 2022 05:31AM
We started with a semi-cheap 150" projector screen from Amazon. It was pretty flimsy and SUPER stretchy. And pretty see-through. But it got the job done. I built a roku/speaker/power strip frankestein creation out of an old iPod tower speaker and used that for AV. After the deck was done though, I knuckled down. I used an old AV receiver and set that up in the sunroom adjacent to the deck. Piped some cables through the wall and added a pair of these old Dual Electronics speakers that I had laying around. It worked great. The roku got repurposed and connected to the receiver. I could control it from outside.

But since we'd watched a couple of movies and started doing it more, we decided to upgrade. So I ordered a customer screen from Carl's Place for surprisingly little money. It WAS custom, after all. And upgraded the fronts to some Yamaha NS-AW294BL Indoor/Outdoor 2-Way Speakers. I reused the Duals in the surround position.

Overall, we all love it. Our weak link now is the Epson projector. It's just not bright enough. But that's a much larger investment I'm not willing to make at the moment.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 24, 2022 12:46PM
bazookaman
We started with a semi-cheap 150" projector screen from Amazon. It was pretty flimsy and SUPER stretchy. And pretty see-through. But it got the job done. I built a roku/speaker/power strip frankestein creation out of an old iPod tower speaker and used that for AV. After the deck was done though, I knuckled down. I used an old AV receiver and set that up in the sunroom adjacent to the deck. Piped some cables through the wall and added a pair of these old Dual Electronics speakers that I had laying around. It worked great. The roku got repurposed and connected to the receiver. I could control it from outside.

But since we'd watched a couple of movies and started doing it more, we decided to upgrade. So I ordered a customer screen from Carl's Place for surprisingly little money. It WAS custom, after all. And upgraded the fronts to some Yamaha NS-AW294BL Indoor/Outdoor 2-Way Speakers. I reused the Duals in the surround position.

Overall, we all love it. Our weak link now is the Epson projector. It's just not bright enough. But that's a much larger investment I'm not willing to make at the moment.

Thanks for the info! What model Epson are you using? Curious what the lumens are as well as if you are using an Epson bulb or a third party replacement.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 24, 2022 07:19PM
C(-)ris
bazookaman

Thanks for the info! What model Epson are you using? Curious what the lumens are as well as if you are using an Epson bulb or a third party replacement.

It's a Home Cinema 1060. It was a deal here a couple of years ago. I think it's something like 3000 lumens. Still using the Epson bulb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020