advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can one re-use a Verizon Hotspot (Orbic Speed 4G LTE) with someone elses SIM?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 23, 2022 04:34PM
So, at work I have this BIG box of Hotspots from the Remote-Schooling of 2020-21... Verizon doesn't want them back, and though we're keeping most of them "just in case", I have permission to take a couple.

Honestly, I've never used a hotspot for very long, and don't know squat about them.... But, I'm thinking as a travel accessory for traveling overseas, being able to slap a pre-paid SIM in one and feed internet to my Chromebook sounds pretty good...

But, I have no idea if this is possible!
Is it as easy as grabbing one of those pre-paid SIM's available at (for example) European airports, good for "x" amount of bandwidth for 30 days, and turning it on?
Or, are they simply Verizon-locked doorstops now?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can one re-use a Verizon Hotspot (Orbic Speed 4G LTE) with someone elses SIM?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 23, 2022 05:00PM
One way to find out: Slap a SIM in there and try it.
Re: Can one re-use a Verizon Hotspot (Orbic Speed 4G LTE) with someone elses SIM?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 23, 2022 05:25PM
it's all about the SIM. Get one in the hotspot and V will happily bill you.
But if traveling, in most cases you're better of with a "local" SIM in the phone. You could "hot spot" to others with you.
If you had T-Mo as your cell provider, they throw in 200 or so countries.
Not free of course, but you don't need a "local" SIM.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: testcase
Date: July 23, 2022 05:26PM
Should be no problem in the US. UNLESS the device is "locked" to Verizon. If so, you'd just need to get Verizon to unlock said hotspot which, on an old device probably won't be a problem. As for FOREIGN use, check the specs to see exactly what bands said hotspot handles and ensure that the hotspot you pick can work on the bands where you'll be traveling to but otherwise, MiFi hotspots are just cellphones that have NO "voice" communication abilities. Out of the US, I have no idea what the charges for data are.

DO pop the back and check the battery. If you're going to travel, you may want to take a known good battery.
Posted by: dk62
Date: July 26, 2022 07:27AM
I always use MiFi with local SIM cards in Europe. As testcase mentioned, the bands are important, so I bought a MiFi router specific to (or at least using) international bands, I never tried using it in the US.

But for your specific question, based on a quick check of Amazon reviews, it is specifically carrier-locked to Verizon, which would make it useless for international travel anyway (and on top of it seems to work only on Verizon bands).

You are better off getting a cheap Huawei or similar with overseas/universal bands, can search on Amazon for $50-$100.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020