advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How many times do you re-battery your UPS’s?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 24, 2022 03:38PM
I usually get 3x replacements, occasionally a 4th x, and always, so far, at least 2x. Not sure what’s going on with the Costco Cyberpower UPS, that just recently blew out its 1st set of replacement batteries…. gonna try/see if a fresh set of new batteries returns it to service, or if it’s 1x replacement and done. What have y’all’s experiences been w/ your UPS’s over the years?

Still cogitating over switching to LiFePO4’s for UPS duty, but certainly not for this finicky Cyberpower unit.
Shout out to The Tom’r for his LiFePO4 expertise expressed in the UPS chemistry thread down the forum list here from a bit earlier.

FWIW, along the way, the Cyberpower unit seemed to complain about its overall load, so I moved some of it to an APC unit next to it that had capacity to spare. After it’s replacement batteries were installed, I did put more stuff on the Cyberpower while swapping batteries in one of the APC’s, and didn’t move it back off the Cyberpower until it complained. The APC unit is still going on its 1st set of replacement batteries, but I suspect it’ll be due for some new juice soon, peaking the LiFePO4 curiosity. We have another “pro” APC unit that’s coming up on getting a new set of batteries, too, which adds to that curiosity.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How many times do you re-battery your UPS’s?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 24, 2022 04:32PM
I am not sure I have owned a UPS in the last 10 years...maybe more.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: July 24, 2022 04:37PM
The small ones I don't bother. The last time I tried to replace batteries on a large UPS, I messed it up so I just replaced the whole thing. Maybe next time...
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 24, 2022 05:05PM
Roughly every 4 years.

...I write the date on each battery as I do the swap.

All APC.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 24, 2022 05:15PM
We do 4 years at work and only do batteries once. After 8 years the unit is ready to be put out to pasture.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 24, 2022 06:01PM
C(-)ris
We do 4 years at work and only do batteries once. After 8 years the unit is ready to be put out to pasture.

This sounds about right.

It is what it is.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 24, 2022 07:08PM
Tried it once with an APC. It wouldn’t stop beeping. Contacted the battery company and they told me I needed to download a PC app. I told them I didn’t own a PC. They were supposed to refund me, but they never did.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 24, 2022 07:45PM
rz
Tried it once with an APC. It wouldn’t stop beeping. Contacted the battery company and they told me I needed to download a PC app. I told them I didn’t own a PC. They were supposed to refund me, but they never did.

The PC app just disables the alert.

If it had a problem with the battery swap, it could be any of several hardware-failures, or most commonly it was probably just a glitch detecting the new battery after the old battery died. The usual fix is to discharge the caps - unplug, pull the battery, press and hold the power button and leave it for awhile (maybe overnight). Pop in the new battery in the morning and all is well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2022 07:45PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 28, 2022 04:48PM
Until the UPS circuitry gets fried or stops working. The current one has been serving me for many years and I got it for almost nothing at a garage sale because the battery was dead and "it didn't work". I'm on my 4th or 5th battery.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020