advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Costco for major appliances?
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 25, 2022 07:31AM
Getting ready to make a final decision on a new washer/dryer. So far, Best Buy is in the lead. Then I thought of Costco. The nearest one is about 20 miles away and there's another bout 30 miles away. Neither is close enough that we'd go often, but if the savings are good enough for a one-time major purchase I'm thinking it might be worth it.

Oh yeah, any way to get a discounted membership? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Costco for major appliances?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 25, 2022 07:43AM
Costco and sams club occasionally have membership sales. I'd check slickdeals to see if its currently being offered.

I bought my washer and dryer from costco due to competitive price and longer warranty.

Maybe you know someone with a membership that you could borrow.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 25, 2022 07:59AM
CostCo mostly carries LotsaGarbage and Swampsung. As I and others have said, wouldn't venture into either unless they had a 4k screen.

I'm not aware of any discounted membership. I think I paid $130/yr.
Pretty sure in smaller purchases it's been worthwhile.

I'd guess you are more rural than us. We have an endless supply of appliance shops. Big ones and a couple small chains.
If I at all can, I buy major appliances from major appliance dealers.
TVs from BB or CostCo.

Wou'ja buy a new car from BB if they sold them? For big purchases that we'd like to last a long time, sometimes saving $100 ain't worth it.

Who's gonna do the install? It ain't always just pull the old out and put the new in. Is BB or CC gonna do the service if required or are they gonna send you to some mid level weekend hack with 2 weeks of waiting and an 8 hr service window?

Although I service most of our appliances myself, there are some things I can't or won't mess with.

I've been pricing mini splits. CostCo and BB sell them. But I only got prices from local premium level suppliers and installers. They sell makes with better records, at better prices, with better guaranties installed by people who have been doing it a long time. Not a college kid on summer work release.

Of course, YMMD.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 25, 2022 09:06AM
I think basic Costco membership is still $60...?
Posted by: gadje
Date: July 25, 2022 09:18AM
Costco, Whirlpool or KitchenAid and pay with the Citi Visa Card, 2+2=4 Year Warranty.
I have LG washer and drier, both at the old house and here where I moved. They are OK.
if I were to buy a fridge, stove or diswasher, It would be the W or KA as mentioned above.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 25, 2022 09:39AM
Wurm,

Costco sells appliances from several brands as well as models under the Kirkland Signature house brand. It's kind of like Sears and Ikea, who both use various major manufacturers to produce appliances for them under the Kenmore and Ikea brand name.

If you decide against a LG, Samsung or GE, you should find out who is making the appliances for Costco for the Kirkland brand. The OEM could be Whirlpool, LG, Samsung or GE.

An old article from Wirecutter discusses from whom to buy appliances:

[www.nytimes.com]

Not which ones to buy - that's a different article - but from whom to buy them.

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 25, 2022 11:10AM
mrbigstuff
I think basic Costco membership is still $60...?

That's what I pay.

Costco has sold Whirlpool in the past - based on what I've read, I would go with WP over LG or Samsung.

Here's what they offer today. Definitely stay away from the GE stuff, too. They offer a Kenmore offering - who woulda thunk it?: [www.costco.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2022 11:14AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 25, 2022 11:21AM
Got Kirkland/Whirlpool Washer Dryer, no problems for the last 15+ years.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 25, 2022 11:46AM
August West
Got Kirkland/Whirlpool Washer Dryer, no problems for the last 15+ years.

That does sound like a safe bet. Are you aware of who to call for service whenever it may need to be done?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 25, 2022 12:29PM
N-OS X-tasy!
They offer a Kenmore offering - who woulda thunk it?: [www.costco.com]

Yeah, the holding company for Sears properties and brands has been doing just about anything to monetize the brands that still have some market value. They also sell Kenmore on Amazon.
Date: July 25, 2022 12:53PM
Thanks, everyone. I've already spent way too many sleepless nights thinking about my options. I guess the good news (if you want to call it that) is that due to our space constraints and budget, we have ONE choice. the GE GUD24GSSMWW. I hate having no other option, but unless we want to either tear down walls or spend nearly twice as much, that's it. The other okay thing is that we have several options for where to buy it.

I may look into a Costco membership. Thing is I can't see the Members Only price first, so I don't know if it would be worth it. Any member here care to sign in and let me know how much they're getting for it? It's Costco item #1225154 and the delivery zip code if they need it would be 02364. Thanks.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 25, 2022 01:00PM
Here's their information:

GE Unitized Spacemaker 2.3 cu. ft. Washer and 4.4 cu. ft. GAS Dryer
Item 1225154 Model GUD24GSSMWW
3.7 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for average rating value is 3.7 of 5. Read 112 Reviews
Member Only Item

Your Price1,449.99$
Delivery, Basic Installation and Haul Away Included in Most Areas*
Installation may require a secondary appointment.
Features:
2-year Manufacturer's Warranty
Combined Washer and Dryer Unit Saves Space
Single Action Agitator
11 Washer and 4 Dryer Cycles

They say it can deliver Aug 2 to your zip code.
Date: July 25, 2022 02:03PM
Thank you, Michael!

Interesting. That's the same price as Home Depot and Best Buy. The difference is that BB and HD charge $40 to get rid of old appliances. Delivery and basic installation is free, but I'd need a plumber here in MA to disconnect/connect the gas anyway. The extra year's warranty and the removal might be worth the membership fee.
Date: July 25, 2022 02:34PM
Wurm, you just walk into a Costco store and they sign you up.

Oh. And if you are only connecting a stove no need for a plumber. Ok, dryer. Same thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2022 02:36PM by mrbigstuff.
Date: July 25, 2022 02:58PM
mrbigstuff
Wurm, you just walk into a Costco store and they sign you up.

Oh. And if you are only connecting a stove no need for a plumber. Ok, dryer. Same thing.

He specified he is in MA. A licensed installer or plumber is required to make the gas connection, no DIY if you want to be covered by insurance, etc.
Date: July 25, 2022 03:00PM
mrbigstuff
... if you are only connecting a stove no need for a plumber. Ok, dryer. Same thing.

Ah, perhaps not from a technical standpoint, but legally (here in MA), a licensed plumber needs to do the connections.

----

Ha ha. I see JoeH beat me to it. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2022 03:01PM by wurm.
Date: July 25, 2022 03:47PM
wurm
mrbigstuff
... if you are only connecting a stove no need for a plumber. Ok, dryer. Same thing.

Ah, perhaps not from a technical standpoint, but legally (here in MA), a licensed plumber needs to do the connections.

----

I know for boilers, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc, then yes. Those things have to be inspected by the local plumbing inspectors.
Date: July 25, 2022 06:19PM
mrbigstuff
wurm
mrbigstuff

----

I know for boilers, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc, then yes. Those things have to be inspected by the local plumbing inspectors.

Also for stoves and dryers, in fact anything connected to the gas line. The local plumbing inspector used to not have to come out, but a licensed installer or plumber needed to sign off on the connection.

Though one time about 15 years ago I wished the inspector had come out. Had a new water heater installed by the plumber contracted by the gas company. A month or two later I had my furnace repairman out to replace a failed ignitor, he smelled a gas leak. He tracked it back to the pipe union connecting the line to the water heater, it hadn't been tightened properly.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 26, 2022 09:51AM
wurm
Thank you, Michael!

Interesting. That's the same price as Home Depot and Best Buy. The difference is that BB and HD charge $40 to get rid of old appliances.

There are recycling programs around here that will pay you $50 for your old fridge. They even come pick it up! I would ask around.
Date: July 26, 2022 03:03PM
Funny you mention that. I was at HD today and saw something about recycling and getting cash back, but it applies only to fridges. Bumma.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 55
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020