Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Food expiration dates
Posted by: jonny
Date: July 25, 2022 03:55PM
My dad used to say, if you can get it past your nose, it’s probably all right… Except meat.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 25, 2022 04:05PM
About thirty minutes ago I was laughing after finding an expiration date on a jar of honey.

For those unaware, honey is safe even after thousands of years, it doesn't go bad.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 25, 2022 04:12PM
Ombligo
About thirty minutes ago I was laughing after finding an expiration date on a jar of honey.

For those unaware, honey is safe even after thousands of years, it doesn't go bad.

Bottled water expiration dates give me a chuckle.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 25, 2022 04:49PM
jonny
My dad used to say, if you can get it past your nose, it’s probably all right… Except meat.

I would say the same is true for meat. Where is the exception? Parasites?

Posted by: gadje
Date: July 25, 2022 05:05PM
I don’t see expiration dates on my wine and whiskey bottles.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 25, 2022 05:13PM
Diet Soda does go bad (tasting) as whatever the fake stuff is inside these gets less fake sugary tasting and more fake bitter tasting over time, and those dates are pretty accurate.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 25, 2022 05:40PM
Lew Zealand
Diet Soda does go bad (tasting) as whatever the fake stuff is inside these gets less fake sugary tasting and more fake bitter tasting over time, and those dates are pretty accurate.

I've witnessed other weird stuff with them that I can't even explain. Had some cans of Diet Coke or Coke Zero that due to not traveling during the pandemic were almost 2 years old when I eventually saw them again.

Somehow the contents of the sealed cans evaporated, and they were only about 1/2 full, you could feel the weight difference and approximate level just by picking up the still sealed can. No sign of leaks, and it happened to several cans. They probably experienced indoor temperature ranges from about 50 to 100 as the seasons changed during that time.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 25, 2022 05:43PM
GGD
Lew Zealand

I've witnessed other weird stuff with them that I can't even explain. Had some cans of Diet Coke or Coke Zero that due to not traveling during the pandemic were almost 2 years old when I eventually saw them again.

Somehow the contents of the sealed cans evaporated, and they were only about 1/2 full, you could feel the weight difference and approximate level just by picking up the still sealed can. No sign of leaks, and it happened to several cans. They probably experienced indoor temperature ranges from about 50 to 100 as the seasons changed during that time.

Wow, I've had plastic bottles of diet do this over long times but I haven't had cans in so long that I don't remember if I've experienced this. Weird.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 25, 2022 06:29PM
DinerDave
Ombligo

Bottled water expiration dates give me a chuckle.

Dave

Bottled water will go bad, I know that from personal experience.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 25, 2022 06:34PM
Lew Zealand
GGD
Lew Zealand

Wow, I've had plastic bottles of diet do this over long times but I haven't had cans in so long that I don't remember if I've experienced this. Weird.

The plastic used for the bottles is not impervious to the water content. PETE will absorb water from the soda or liquid over time. It can then evaporate from the exterior of the bottle. After a year or more the loss can be visible. For some liquids they will line the interior of the bottle with a different plastic that doesn't transfer water. But that adds to the manufacturing expense, they don't do that for many liquids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2022 06:44PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: July 25, 2022 06:37PM
My favorite is 250 million year old sea salt having an expiration date in a year or two. Lol
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 25, 2022 06:56PM
twinkies!

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 26, 2022 11:25AM
GGD
Lew Zealand

I had left a new unopened can of Pepsi, just regular Pepsi, on a shelf in my office pre-pandemic. I went in 12+ months or whatever later and probably half had leaked out through the bottom leaving a VERY sticky coating on the shelf. Luckily, a nearby box of tissues had sacrificed itself to save it from going much farther.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2022 11:34AM
.....underwear......expires too.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 26, 2022 05:23PM
I've found that unopened bottles of water will collapse over time as the contents escape without leaking, as we define it.

I've had cans of soda that have had contents disappear.

Usually the CO2 is gone as well, so shaking the can has never revealed the source of the leak.

I've always thought there was a very, very small break in the seal at the top, and the pressure inside forced some evaporation until the pressure was equalized.

On the other hand, there's no mystery as to why a can of soda, left in the freezer, forgotten, does what it does.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 27, 2022 06:02AM
Not sure why but I've yet to find an expiration date on any of those boxes of wine we use to refill bottles pre party. Folks seem happy enough when they leave and if you've ever wondered what gives Jonnie Walker Blue that tint...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020