advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
shower plumbing question
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 26, 2022 11:02AM
Whatever nimrod installed the shower valves at my son's house reversed the hot and cold lines. So if you move the handle to hot, you get cold, and cold gets you hot.

Short of opening the wall (don't get me started on why that is not a viable option), is there a way to correct the situation? Can the handle just be mounted upside down or are any made that are labeled the opposite of what is normal?

I'm an hour away and just want some options before I drive to his place.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: shower plumbing question
Posted by: John B.
Date: July 26, 2022 11:15AM
Are the pipes accessible at the "supply" side? (Basement/attic/whatever) Could you reverse them there?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 26, 2022 11:20AM
In my experience, the nub on the mixing valve where the handle attaches is usually notched, meaning the handle can only go on one way. But, it may be worth pursuing that idea before cutting any pipes.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 26, 2022 11:22AM
Ombligo,

Although reversed, it sounds like everything is working. I'd leave it well enough alone and use stick waterproof labels on the exterior components telling people which direction is hot and which direction is cold and call it done. This is where Brother Label makers come in handy.

At some point, if there is an issue that requires you to change the innards of the system, that's when I'd reverse the connections and set them up properly. Until then, stick with labels.

Robert
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 26, 2022 11:24AM
I find myself using trial an error every time I encounter a new shower regardless of the (often ambiguous) labeling. An unexpected cold or hot blast or two does wonders for the muscle memory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2022 11:25AM by Acer.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 26, 2022 11:31AM
hopefully the line is visible _somewhere_ - perhaps the basement?

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2022 11:33AM
....You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes
Yeah you, PMS
Like a b**tch
I would know
And you over think
Always speak
Cryptically

I should know
That you're no good for me

'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up then you're down
You're wrong when it's right
It's black and it's white
We fight, we break up
We kiss, we make up.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 26, 2022 11:36AM
mikebw
In my experience, the nub on the mixing valve where the handle attaches is usually notched, meaning the handle can only go on one way. But, it may be worth pursuing that idea before cutting any pipes.

I have run into one shower valve where the cartridge could be installed backwards, the result would be the same backwards result of putting out cod water when it should be hot.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 26, 2022 11:55AM
mattkime
hopefully the line is visible _somewhere_ - perhaps the basement?

Certainly one could find where the hot comes off the water heater, but very often fixtures in a bathroom come off a supply line within the walls of the bathroom, not farther away.

So you would not want to switch hot and cold (unless you were sure) or else the sink would also become reversed, and the toilet would be using hot water!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 26, 2022 12:03PM
JoeH
I have run into one shower valve where the cartridge could be installed backwards, the result would be the same backwards result of putting out cod water when it should be hot.

Same here. I was able to correct the installation by just taking apart the handle assembly (no wall demo needed).
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 26, 2022 12:10PM
mikebw
Certainly one could find where the hot comes off the water heater, but very often fixtures in a bathroom come off a supply line within the walls of the bathroom, not farther away.

So you would not want to switch hot and cold (unless you were sure) or else the sink would also become reversed, and the toilet would be using hot water!

Depends upon what you're willing to do to correct the situation. Swapping bathroom supply lines shouldn't be bad although you might need to buy new flex hoses (or whatever they're called).

My point was to encourage you to poke around and hopefully find something that makes the job easier.

Posted by: GGD
Date: July 26, 2022 01:41PM
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 26, 2022 02:17PM
The water lines are behind the nursery wall. I don't want to cut into the wall simply because it has the worse finish texture I've ever encountered. I do drywall work with no hesitation but the wall texture in his home would be impossible to replicate, or even get close to.

I'll guess I'll pull the handle and see if it can be reversed, if not then I'll go with labeling.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: July 26, 2022 02:19PM
How recent was this installation? Is the installer in a position to fix it at their cost?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 26, 2022 03:39PM
depending on the manufacturer of the shower body, call and ask them for tech support. Most are pretty good for that.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 26, 2022 04:21PM
depending on the manufacturer of the shower body, call and ask them for tech support. Most are pretty good for that.

That would be my first step.

Next might be a visit to YouTube.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: July 26, 2022 08:53PM
Could you post a picture of the handle? Like others have mentioned if it is a single handle that rotates to turn the water on and select the temperature, it could be that the cartridge was installed incorrectly and can be fixed without messing with the supply lines.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 26, 2022 10:44PM
Was there EVER water service in what now is the nursery? I've seen a couple of cases where, due to stupidity or extreme cheapness, the "plumber" installed one service properly but, the other service was reversed.

The idea of a "reverse handle" sounds good. If one is not available from the manufacturer, you might look into a 3-D printer to have a custom reverse handle made (using the OEM handle as a starting template). I've seen 3_D printers in some libraries which, if available, could be a low cost way to go.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 27, 2022 04:47AM
That would be way cool if the handle could be installed 180º from normal.

Assuming the cartridge is correctly installed, I'd devote a lot of time to modding the handle (Dremel, JB Weld?).

Reversing the supply lines would be out of the question, not an option, etc, unless it was for a kitchen or bathroom sink.

As it happens, somehow the supply valves for my bathroom are opposite the sink faucet knobs.

They're plumbed correctly, or traditionally, but the first time I turned off the Hot water, it was the Cold that was secured.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: gadje
Date: July 27, 2022 09:15PM
Whatever nimrod installed the shower valves at my son's house reversed the hot and cold lines.

He knows and he will be OK.

Whatever girl he picks up at the bar will get scalded and won't come back.

Are you sure you want to fix this?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 28, 2022 05:35AM
.....these comments have nothing to do with plumbing and are not helpful....thanks....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020