advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Okay, how do you 'turn off your brain' so you can sleep?
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 26, 2022 08:25PM
Lately, I've been having trouble getting back to sleep. Not getting to sleep, but getting back to sleep. Typical scenario is up til 11:30 or so, usually asleep by midnight. Up to pee around 3, then toss and turn and watch the freakin' minutes pass by on the clock. My brain starts thinking of all the crap I want to do the next day or the next day or the next day. And of course the more you try not to think about stuff, the worse it gets. Eventually I drift back to sleep, but by that time my wife is getting up to go to work and I might go back to sleep for an hour or so.

Any simple little tricks to turn off the thinking machine and let nature take its course? I feel sorry for the poor folks who have actual insomnia.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Okay, how do you 'turn off your brain' so you can sleep?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 26, 2022 08:32PM
I don’t know what to tell you. I will stay up (whether initially going to bed or after using the bathroom), I can stay awake if I thinks about stuff. I have to forcibly make myself to not think about anything fir a couple of minutes, then I drift off to sleep.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 26, 2022 08:32PM
My tips:

Get exercise during the day so you're tired by evening.

If you have trouble falling back asleep, get up and do something until you feel tired. Read, clean, etc.

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 26, 2022 08:34PM
Lately, a few rounds of Wordle, Dordle and Octordle, then Knotwords and finally I dim the screen a bit and hit Pocket Tanks on level 10.

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 26, 2022 08:36PM
I throw a dvd on and set the sleep timer for an hour, hour and a half…
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 26, 2022 08:37PM
I had that issue and finally ended up on Trazadon

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: July 26, 2022 08:37PM
mattkime

I was going to suggest this as well. A big reason many of us can’t go to sleep at night is due to lack of adequate physical activity during the day.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 26, 2022 08:40PM
I've worked for years to turn off that voice...

This is what is working for me these days:

Get rid of the clock - or make it so you can't see it while in bed. Learning what time it is while you're in bed is never helpful. Stop planning on tomorrow - just stop it. It can wait.

I keep stereo creek noise going in my bedroom at all times. That's calming and helps me to imagine that I'm in one of my creekside backpacking camps. That is always a calming place for me to be.

I like to do audio books while in bed, but I like to stop at some point and switch gears after a while. Listening to a boring, monotone lecturer can help put me to sleep.

Boring lecturer being almost drowned out by the creek noise is the strongest tool I've got at the moment.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 26, 2022 08:42PM
I use rhythmic breathing.

[www.medicalnewstoday.com]

I was taught a slower rhythm, (10-10-10 ); you can slow down as you get more comfortable with it.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 26, 2022 08:42PM
I've been using melatonin - helps me sleep more deeply.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2022 08:43PM
....took some time, but learned to clear mind.....most nights fall asleep quickly.....occasionally will have issues.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 26, 2022 09:03PM
Same problem for me. I've used this silent chant for years:

Feet, relax. (focusing on toes)
Relax, feet. (focusing on toes)

Feet relax. (focusing on arches)
Relax, feet. (focusing on arches)

Feet relax. (focusing on heels)
Relax, feet. (focusing on heels)

Repeat 2-3 times:
Relax, calves.
Calves, relax.

Repeat 2-3 times:
Relax, thighs.
Thighs, relax.

Repeat 2-3 times:
Hips, relax.
Relax, hips.

Repeat with back, then neck, shoulders, scalp, face.

Visualize all these muscles going limp, especially back, neck and shoulders.

Repeat as needed. Sometimes it takes two or more cycles, but it keeps my brain from working, and it always knocks me out.

Date: July 26, 2022 09:06PM
This is great. Thank you all.

I have to forcibly make myself to not think about anything fir a couple of minutes, then I drift off to sleep.

Yeah, that's the tough part.

--------

Exercise would be great for a number of reasons besides sleep. Good idea. My doc(s) would agree.

--------

Thought about getting up to read, or otherwise distract myself with word games or whatever, but keep thinking I'll be able to get back on my own. Part of me is afraid I'll get my second wind and just stay up for the day.

-------

I have to make an effort to look at a clock as it's on my wife's side of the bed. Audiobooks or other technology would be difficult without disturbing my wife. Yeah, I could leave the room, but the bed is comfortable ;)

Stop planning on tomorrow - just stop it. It can wait.

Yes, but that's easier said than done.

--------

Tried something similar the other night. I think I was trying too hard.

---------

took some time, but learned to clear mind.

Yep. That's what I'm trying to do; clear my mind.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 26, 2022 09:12PM
+1 on the Melatonin, it's worked well for me. On very rare occasions I'll take a pill. I'll also play NPR news at a low volume. A low droning voice can work for me, too.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: July 26, 2022 09:15PM
If you have headphones to listen and a timer to shut it off, I might recommend an ASMR video from Fred's Voice or some typing sounds. These work for me, and there's some evidence that simply doing something for a while other than trying to sleep may help you get back to sleep.

[ASMR] Eating KFC Boneless "Family" Feast [Crispy Triggers]

Keyboard typing ASMR - Box Jade

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 26, 2022 09:17PM
“ Tried something similar the other night. I think I was trying too hard. “

Came pretty easy for me as I learned/taught breath control as a swimmer.

Find a pattern that feels comfortable and then gradually lengthen it.

I combine this with lost in space’s mindfulness exercise.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 26, 2022 09:36PM
I have been reading Sci Fi novels at bedtime since the 70s and they never fail to turn my head off from thinking about reality and allowing me some light diversion until I’m sleepy enough to end my day, usually after 45 minutes to 1 hour of reading.

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2022 09:37PM by JoeM.
Posted by: gadje
Date: July 26, 2022 09:43PM
exercise

also limit your liquid intake in the evening so you don't need to go to pee at 3 AM. Pee at 11 PM when you go to bed and hold it until 7 AM
Date: July 26, 2022 09:49PM
btfc

[www.medicalnewstoday.com]

I was taught a slower rhythm, (10-10-10 ); you can slow down as you get more comfortable with it.

Actually I think I do something like this also. I ‘listen to my breathing, I feel the blood flowing, etc.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 26, 2022 09:59PM
Audiobooks, as mentioned above, or old radio shows* on YouTube; like…

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

*Note, some of these have their original commercials
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 26, 2022 10:09PM
That has been my problem forever. I punch snooze on my Bose radio’s remote and listen to the BBC if it’s after after midnight, or if it’s after 5 AM it’ll be NPR. I’m usually back to sleep before it shuts off. My dreams wake me up.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 26, 2022 10:11PM
gadje
exercise

also limit your liquid intake in the evening so you don't need to go to pee at 3 AM. Pee at 11 PM when you go to bed and hold it until 7 AM

Tell that to the prostate.

My tips:
Reading in bed. I like sci fi short stories for this.
Counting backwards from 100 actually helps sometimes.
If I do have a busy day ahead, especially things that have to be done right away, writing the tasks down on a list can help turn off the brain churn.
Consistent time to go to sleep and wake up.
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 26, 2022 10:12PM
Or gummy candies with indica before bed.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 26, 2022 10:15PM
Most of the time, once I catch some ZZZs, there's no going back to sleep.

Sometimes, reading will put me on the nod.

Once that happens, listening to a podcast I'm not really interested in will let me get back to sleep.

But Morpheus, god of ZZZs, must first bless me with his benevolence or it won't happen.

So then I end up awake for the next several hours, getting The Nod at a less convenient time, screwing up my rhythm.

One of those sleep devices from Dr. Crusher would be a huge help.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 26, 2022 10:22PM
Great ideas, folks. I'll try not to think about them all as I (try to) sleep tonight! ;}

Thank you.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 26, 2022 10:26PM
Hey, I peruse mrf at all hours of the day!

Seriously, my problem also for my life since being a late teen. I actually had one day (one!!!) where I can recall jumping out of bed to go to school feeling entirely rested. Yes, one day in my entire life. But I'm guessing that I had a few more before I became cognizant of all this.

My issue is that I love the night, and always have.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 26, 2022 10:36PM
Turn off all lights, but on some soft music.

Wife likes "New Age" I prefer Classical.

Also have a a couple of NSFW suggestions.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2022 10:36PM by Rolando.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 26, 2022 10:55PM
1. No devices in bed.
2. When get into bed, turn light off, even if it means lying there for an hour+ without sleeping. That will get better.
3. Pretend your dreaming. Think dream-like thoughts/scenes.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 26, 2022 11:25PM
Wake up wife/SO at 2am. Tell her "it's sexy time". Pass out unconscious when she smacks you with the frying pan she keeps by the bedside. Problem solved!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 26, 2022 11:52PM
Carnos Jax
mattkime

I was going to suggest this as well. A big reason many of us can’t go to sleep at night is due to lack of adequate physical activity during the day.

I take an hour walk in the late evening and have had few problems getting to sleep and generally staying that way.

anonymouse1
1. No devices in bed.

And that. I have looked at my phone exactly zero times in the last 10 years after going to bed.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 27, 2022 01:25AM
A bedroom fan creating white noise generally does it for me.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 27, 2022 02:13AM
davester
Wake up wife/SO at 2am. Tell her "it's sexy time". Pass out unconscious when she smacks you with the frying pan she keeps by the bedside. Problem solved!

A lot of guys get sleepy after their "pipes" are cleaned. I'm just sayin'...........
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 27, 2022 05:57AM
anonymouse1
Pretend your dreaming. Think dream-like thoughts/scenes.

I find that variations on this are helpful. Sometimes I shift the focus of all that "planning energy" onto something less immediate that does not carry anxiety. Sometimes I "interview" the characters in the novel I am writing. It's all about redirection.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 27, 2022 06:31AM
wurm
Okay, how do you 'turn off your brain' so you can sleep?

Isn't that what Jimmy Fallon is for?
Date: July 27, 2022 06:52AM
Interestingly enough, last night went pretty well. Up for the usual 'break' at 2:40, then back to bed and didn't wake up 'til 6. Maybe just discussing the issue helped. smiling smiley

Also, now that I think about it, I usually sit on the deck and read in the late afternoon. Invariably, at some point I nod off for a bit. I'm sure that throws off the schedule a bit.

Devices in bed aren't an issue. Phone goes on the charger when I hit the rack and it doesn't come off it until I'm up for the day.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 27, 2022 08:12AM
wurm
Lately, I've been having trouble getting back to sleep. Not getting to sleep, but getting back to sleep. Typical scenario is up til 11:30 or so, usually asleep by midnight. Up to pee around 3, then toss and turn and watch the freakin' minutes pass by on the clock. My brain starts thinking of all the crap I want to do the next day or the next day or the next day. And of course the more you try not to think about stuff, the worse it gets. Eventually I drift back to sleep, but by that time my wife is getting up to go to work and I might go back to sleep for an hour or so.

Any simple little tricks to turn off the thinking machine and let nature take its course? I feel sorry for the poor folks who have actual insomnia.

I often have the same problem. I try to play golf - practice my pitch shots around the green. Try mental yoga. Relax, one muscle at a time.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 27, 2022 08:32AM
gummies help me.... for now. and music. and a spoon of almond butter.
and exercise for sure.

but you have a bigger issue in obstructive sleep apnea.
I tried a CPAP 5 years ago and never succeeded. I'm waiting for delivery of a custom dental device that hopefully will help. Being dopey all day just doesn't cut it.

First off, do some research.
If you're over 50 (seems like most of us are) and over weight, even just 10%, you may have OSA. Sleep tests can be done in the home these days, 1 nite connected to your phone. Way more accurate. Fully covered by insurance.
I had an in home done 5 years ago with the popular at the time Phillips device. 15 incidents. The recent one was 30. 5 years and perhaps 10 pounds difference. OSA is VERY undiagnosed.

The trick is finding a pulmonary doc who's on his game and not looking to sell you pharma. If they have heard of the WatchPat device and the Somno dental devices, you in luck.

As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck, Jim.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 27, 2022 08:46AM
I learned meditation and self-calming in the 1970's. From a bunch of monks (Benedictine .. catholic). It was and continues to be life-saving. I can drop my heart rate by 30% in a few minutes, I can slow my breathing, and I can calm my panic. And sleep ? I have no problems going to sleep.

Save my life ? Yeah... when I was free swimming in a cave (*) and realized I was about to run out of air... stopped. Calmed myself. Swam on an found an air pocket.

(*) It was a really really stupid thing to do. I was a teenager and kept doing dumb things that should have killed me.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: July 27, 2022 09:17AM
lost in space

Repeat 2-3 times:
Relax, calves.
Calves, relax...

Repeat as needed. Sometimes it takes two or more cycles, but it keeps my brain from working, and it always knocks me out.

I remember Don Rickles (I think) saying this on a talk show many moons ago. Did you get it from him?

bunny smileyCentral VA
Date: July 27, 2022 09:19AM
....to sleep.....perchance to dream.......???

Posted by: Acer
Date: July 27, 2022 09:21AM
CJsNvrUrly
lost in space

Repeat 2-3 times:
Relax, calves.
Calves, relax...

I remember Don Rickles (I think) saying this on a talk show many moons ago. Did you get it from him?

Don Rickles giving relaxation advice? Weird flex, but OK!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 27, 2022 09:24AM
When you can’t get thoughts out of your head, write them down in a journal. The brain often stops perseverating after doing that.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 27, 2022 09:48AM
Acer
CJsNvrUrly
lost in space

Repeat 2-3 times:
Relax, calves.
Calves, relax...

Don Rickles giving relaxation advice? Weird flex, but OK!

Learned it from my wife. She tried it for awhile, but it didn't work for her.

Date: July 27, 2022 09:50AM
....just don't sleep.....with the fishes....

Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 27, 2022 11:12AM
Carnos Jax
mattkime

old fogey smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 27, 2022 02:18PM
The redirection is an alternative to meditation. Both delete the mind’s opportunity to invade restful time. It’s easier if you can think of hobbies or ridiculous things that are then easy to set aside for sleep. But I’ve only experienced this while trying to get to sleep or if I’m awakened shortly before I’m scheduled to awake.

If the former, I tell myself, “no, not going to do that” and immediately switch to something else. That was a problem as a younger man, when I had stressful jobs and didn’t realize intrusive thoughts about work were a total waste of my time.

If it happens 1/2 hr before the alarm goes off (thanks, prostrate) I just get up and start my day.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 28, 2022 11:38AM
Try BetterSleep.com It has a number of free-to-use sound generators for soothing your over-wired neurons.

=TC
Posted by: digby
Date: July 30, 2022 10:28PM
I go to sleep listening to an audiobook. That way I'm not thinking about the next day's problems, or the causes of the War of the Roses. I also do that to get back to sleep.
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 31, 2022 06:43PM
I don't go to sleep, I FALL asleep, and by the time I get into bed, I am usually so tired that I will pass out if I don't. Not really helpful but it definitely cures insomnia.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020