advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Car stereo - Bluetooth - iPhone
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 27, 2022 09:35AM
Just purchased a well-used pickup. It has a CD/radio. I’m looking into cheap media player head units, and a lot of them say they need a wired connection to use an iPhone. I have a cheap Bluetooth to aux setup in another vehicle that works just fine wirelessly. Are these head units trying to do more than just basic Bluetooth with the wired connection, or do they really need to be connected physically to play music? Not looking at anything fancy, definitely not CarPlay. Just want a Bluetooth connection
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Car stereo - Bluetooth - iPhone
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 27, 2022 10:24AM
We have this Alpine unit in our Tacoma and in our son's Tacoma as well. We like it.

[www.crutchfield.com]

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 27, 2022 10:33AM
Interesting. I just bought a car stereo that has Apple CarPlay, blue tooth, etc. Ended up not using it for more than a couple of months. If i can find it, we can haggle on price (much reduced from normal price, of course). PM me if you are interested. I can hopefully give you more specs at that time. I wanna say it's also Alpine. Double din - meaning it is twice as tall as the one linked above.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 27, 2022 10:56AM
If the units have CarPlay (and a lot of cheaper ones do now - if they have a touchscreen), then they probably mean hard wired required for CarPlay. Wireless CarPlay doesn't seem to be common and only on high end units.

Or, perhaps for other features, such as playback control, they need a hard wired connection. But for basic audio streaming, I certainly hope they'd all be able to do that over bluetooth!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 27, 2022 11:02AM
BernDog,

What is your goal? Play music? Use bluetooth for calls? Both? What will do the job for you is 100% dependent on the answers to those questions. As for why a head unit might require a hardwire connection to your phone, it depends on the unit and its features.

Now, if you want to make sure car bluetooth friendly, there are many ways to go about it. One is a simple bluetooth to AUX adapter. Another is an MP3 player that has bluetooth built into it. Another is a Car & Driver Carplay tablet. Another is replace the head unit with a new one entirely.

The solution really depends on what you want to actually do, how much money you want to spend and how you want to go about making it work.

I was going to replace the head unit in my '09 CX-7 but decided against it. Anything that had the features I wanted would've cost me near $1000.00. I opted for the Car & Driver wireless caprplay tablet for $250.00.

See this thread:

<[forums.macresource.com];

If I ever get an extra $1000, I might replace the head unit and sell the C&D box. If. For now, the C&D box does the job nicely. Might even buy one as a gift for one of my brothers to throw into his old Lexus. He doesn't want to spend the money on replace its head unit and he's tired of using a cassette adapter to AUX to bluetooth box and wants carplay. The C&D box is the best solution for him.

Robert
Date: July 27, 2022 11:33AM
Robert M
BernDog,

What is your goal? Play music? Use bluetooth for calls? Both? What will do the job for you is 100% dependent on the answers to those questions. As for why a head unit might require a hardwire connection to your phone, it depends on the unit and its features.

Now, if you want to make sure car bluetooth friendly, there are many ways to go about it. One is a simple bluetooth to AUX adapter. Another is an MP3 player that has bluetooth built into it. Another is a Car & Driver Carplay tablet. Another is replace the head unit with a new one entirely.

The solution really depends on what you want to actually do, how much money you want to spend and how you want to go about making it work.

I was going to replace the head unit in my '09 CX-7 but decided against it. Anything that had the features I wanted would've cost me near $1000.00. I opted for the Car & Driver wireless caprplay tablet for $250.00.

See this thread:

<[forums.macresource.com];

If I ever get an extra $1000, I might replace the head unit and sell the C&D box. If. For now, the C&D box does the job nicely. Might even buy one as a gift for one of my brothers to throw into his old Lexus. He doesn't want to spend the money on replace its head unit and he's tired of using a cassette adapter to AUX to bluetooth box and wants carplay. The C&D box is the best solution for him.

Robert

I want to be able to play music. Skip track and calling would be unnecessary bonuses. In another vehicle I have a cheap $20-ish Bluetooth to aux adapter that works fine and will do all these things as well as talk to Siri. There’s a way to hack an aux port into this factory stereo, but by the time I get all the hardware to make it work and add a Bluetooth to aux adapter, I’m way more better off getting a $100-ish replacement and be done with it.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 27, 2022 12:08PM
If you don't care too much about quality of sound, you can probably get anything now, as Bluetooth is a standard. But audio quality and phone call quality will still cost you at least $150.
Date: July 27, 2022 12:16PM
Markintosh
We have this Alpine unit in our Tacoma and in our son's Tacoma as well. We like it.

[www.crutchfield.com]

That’s exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for, and probably one I already looked at. Thanks for the quick review! I don’t see anything on that one about a wired connection, so good to go there. I’m sure I saw other ones that had that requirement for iPhone. Still can’t wrap my head around that. I know some CarPlay units need to be wired, but Bluetooth is Bluetooth, hence my confusion regarding the cheap ones.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 27, 2022 12:46PM
For $150, this may be an alternative to the Car & Driver unit

[smile.amazon.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 27, 2022 12:46PM
The Bluetooth works fine for streaming content from my iPhone, and the display even gives options for showing the song title or artist, etc. You can even do Siri via BT - as in asking for a particular artist or playlist. Same for making phone calls. The unit also allows you to have two different phones (not connected at the same time). If you care, you can set up different colors for the buttons, display etc.

You CAN also plug in via USB. The advantage I find is that response times are faster for Siri when making a call or requesting music. It's also handy to just plug in a USB stick with music (FAT32 format).

BernDog
That’s exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for, and probably one I already looked at. Thanks for the quick review! I don’t see anything on that one about a wired connection, so good to go there. I’m sure I saw other ones that had that requirement for iPhone. Still can’t wrap my head around that. I know some CarPlay units need to be wired, but Bluetooth is Bluetooth, hence my confusion regarding the cheap ones.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: ArtP
Date: July 28, 2022 09:41AM
When wired via USB - the Apple Car Play makes it more than worth it over Bluetooth

I have had Alpine head units for almost 3 decades but a few years back - I looked at Pioneer because of the price and the touch screens AND i wanted pretty album work and icons on the screen.

Ended up buying this one - Pioneer dmh 2660nex to replace a Alpine head unit in my older Honda CR-V

I like they way it links with the iPhone to play off any available music apps.

Also like the way when using Maps - the display is there on the screen along with voice directions and also heptic taps on my apple watch for turns.

Only thing I truly miss (showing my age) is a physical volume knob - I hate adjusting the volume by touchscreen
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 28, 2022 10:13AM
ArtP,

That's why I spent the bucks for the C&D Carplay tablet. Prior to using buying it, I was using the bluetooth built into my car for calls and an MP3 player for music connected via an AUX-In jack. I had to go that route because my car doesn't support bluetooth for music due to age and hardware limitations.

I checked out carplay in a rental car and was hooked.

My first purchase was a new head unit for my wife's Yaris. It didn't have bluetooth at all and she was doing long distance driving each day. We invested in a JVC carplay unit for her. Hardwired. Cant' say I like its touchscreen - there is better, more responsive touchscheen tech out there - and I don't like using buttons to control the volume. However, and this is the biggies, carplay rocks!

I wouldn't even accept a rental car that doesn't have a head unit with carplay. The fact that carplay literally "just works" and is the same in _any_ vehicle that has it is huge. Driving your car with it. The interface is the same. Rent a car? The interface is the same. Replace your car? The interface is the same.

As mentioned earlier, to get a carplay friendly unit that has all the features built into my Mazda (and also not lose some of the features I'd still use in it), I'd haver to spend close to $1000.00. That's too much bucks on a car I didn't plan on keeping. The only reason I still have the Mazda is the shortages and outrageous pricing due to the chip shortage and the pandemic.

That's why I invested in the C&C Tablet. Carplay was worth the bucks and the tablet made it super easy to add it to my car. Glad I spent the bucks for the model that supports wireless carplay. Well worth the extra.

Note, I might have considered Corehan carplay tablet ion Ombligo's link but it wasn't available at the time I purchased the C&D tablet. The C&D version was the only carplay tablet readily available at the time.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020