advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
earnings goes to camp?!....Apple reports earnings: $19.4B Profit on $83B Revenue....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 28, 2022 03:15PM
....reported after hours....right now....

Apple Reports 3Q 2022 Results: $19.4B Profit on $83B Revenue

....Apple today announced financial results for its third fiscal quarter of 2022, which corresponds to the second calendar quarter of the year.

For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $83 billion and net quarterly profit of $19.4 billion, or $1.20 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $81.4 billion and net quarterly profit of $21.7 billion, or $1.30 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter.

Apple also declared a quarterly dividend payment of $0.23 per share, payable on August 11 to shareholders of record as of August 8.

iPhone and Services revenue achieved June quarter records. A category-by-category breakdown of Apple's Q3 2022 revenue is outlined below.

?iPhone?: $40.6B, up from $39.5B in year-ago quarter
iPad: $7.2B, down from $7.3B in year-ago quarter
Mac: $7.3B, down from $8.2B in year-ago quarter
Wearables, Home, and Accessories: $8.0B, down from $8.7B in year-ago quarter
Services: $19.6B, up from $17.4B in year-ago quarter

Apple CEO Tim Cook:

This quarter's record results speak to Apple's constant efforts to innovate, to advance new possibilities, and to enrich the lives of our customers. As always, we are leading with our values, and expressing them in everything we build, from new features that are designed to protect user privacy and security, to tools that will enhance accessibility, part of our longstanding commitment to create products for everyone.

As has been the case for over two years now, Apple is once again not issuing guidance for the current quarter ending in September.......

reporting now........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2022 03:30PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: earnings goes to camp?!....Apple reports earnings: $19.4B Profit on $83B Revenue....
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 28, 2022 04:55PM
Kind of a narrow beat, when the market was maybe expecting a miss.

...and shares are up after hours.

How times have changed.
Re: earnings goes to camp?!....Apple reports earnings: $19.4B Profit on $83B Revenue....
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 28, 2022 04:58PM
...and Amazon beat even more narrowly on revenue, while surprising the street with an unexpected $2B loss.

And it's up >10% after hours.

I guess times haven't changed that much.
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 28, 2022 06:12PM
BELEAGUERED!
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 28, 2022 06:37PM
Where’s Michael Dell when you need him….
Posted by: bruceko
Date: July 28, 2022 07:26PM
Tim Cook
"This quarter's record results speak to Apple's constant efforts to innovate, to advance new possibilities, and to enrich the lives of our customers"
I haven't seen much of that in the last ten years other than faster processors

Still waiting for the glucose metering Tim talked about 3 or 4 years ago
Date: July 28, 2022 07:31PM
Apple’s done as well as it possibly could without Steve Jobs, I couldn’t ask for more. Let’s face it, people like Jobs are once in a generation.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 29, 2022 01:36AM
Carnos Jax
Apple’s done as well as it possibly could without Steve Jobs, I couldn’t ask for more. Let’s face it, people like Jobs are once in a generation.

Actually, Apple has done much better financially with Tim Cook than it ever did with Jobs.
Date: July 29, 2022 02:52AM
Perhaps I should have clarified, I meant in terms of innovation and new products (because that’s what the post I was replying to was referring to). Financial metrics are great and all, but that's not the goal. Great products lead to great financials (ideally), not the other way around. Apple only has great financials today because of what Jobs did. In the absence of innovation, we have a staid blue chip company, and there's nothing wrong with that if you can't innovate.

And if you think Apple is great now, just imagine what it would've been like if Steve Jobs was around (Apple would've probably been the first to have a self driving car, and probably have solved the mess that is home entertainment/automation/TV). Apple was just at the beginning of the smart phone S curve when Jobs died. So it's not that Apple did financially better with Tim Cook than Steve Jobs, it's that Jobs never lived long enough to realize the financial benefits to Apple of the iPhone. And this is no slight to Tim Cook, as he is perhaps the best CEO out there by far, but he can't hold a candle to Jobs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2022 03:08AM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 29, 2022 05:23AM
stephen
BELEAGUERED!

$1.30 a year ago, now $1.20. I should have dumped my shares five years ago.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 29, 2022 04:31PM
Speedy
stephen
BELEAGUERED!

$1.30 a year ago, now $1.20. I should have dumped my shares five years ago.

I assume you left out the /sarc pseudo markup, Speedy, because had you done so you would have missed a 4 bagger…
Date: July 29, 2022 06:06PM
Carnos Jax
Perhaps I should have clarified, I meant in terms of innovation and new products… In the absence of innovation, we have a staid blue chip company, and there's nothing wrong with that if you can't innovate.

Apple is innovating plenty. I think you may be attributing too much to Jobs: The iPod and the iPhone were world-changing but as far as I know, Jobs didn't invent those products. Who will create the next world-changing product?
Posted by: bruceko
Date: July 29, 2022 08:51PM
please list the inovations
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 30, 2022 12:19AM
Article Accelerator
Carnos Jax
Perhaps I should have clarified, I meant in terms of innovation and new products… In the absence of innovation, we have a staid blue chip company, and there's nothing wrong with that if you can't innovate.

Apple is innovating plenty. I think you may be attributing too much to Jobs: The iPod and the iPhone were world-changing but as far as I know, Jobs didn't invent those products. Who will create the next world-changing product?

It was Jobs' vision that drove what those products would become, though.

It is what it is.
Date: July 30, 2022 01:08AM
^^^Correct. I have to vehemently disagree with AA on this one. To think 'Jobs didn't invent those products' is getting caught up in technicalities. Then you can say no one ever 'invents' anything (and invent is not the word I used BTW). Just think about it, almost no company has a revolutionary product to their credit during their lifetime. Every once in a while, a few companies come along that have at best ONE revolutionary product to their credit. Under Steve Jobs, Apple had the original Apple, the Mac, iPod, iPhone/iPad and Watch. Under Tim Cook, there hasn't been ONE (and that's ok, like I said, revolutionary products are rare). To think there would have been any of those products without Steve Jobs is for all intents and purposes impossible. No way, no how.
Date: July 30, 2022 01:10AM
bruceko

I agree, there hasn't been a single innovation under Tim Cook (again that's not to his discredit). Really, I'd like to know what Apple has innovated since the passing of Jobs?
Date: July 30, 2022 01:32AM
Carnos Jax
bruceko

I agree, there hasn't been a single innovation under Tim Cook (again that's not to his discredit). Really, I'd like to know what Apple has innovated since the passing of Jobs?

Apple silicon
Apple Watch
Apple Pay
Apple TV+
AirPod
HomePod
Apple Card
Apple News
AirTag
Apple Pencil

…and pretty much every new version of most products includes innovations.
Date: July 30, 2022 01:38AM
Carnos Jax
almost no company has a revolutionary product to their credit during their lifetime.

True!

Under Steve Jobs, Apple had the original Apple, the Mac, iPod, iPhone/iPad and Watch.
]

No, not the Apple Watch. (And the original Apple systems had similar competitors, some of which preceded Apple's computers.)
Date: July 30, 2022 01:49AM
The Apple Watch was laid out by Jobs before his passing. That other stuff there’s nothing innovative in any of it. Yes they are new products from Apple, but there’s nothing new about them or revolutionary about them. When you look up list of innovations by Apple, none of them for the most part appear in those lists. Pretty much everything is under Steve There’s nothing memorable about those other products. The average consumer probably doesn’t even know what they are. However if you ask them about the Mac, iPod, the iPhone, etc. everybody knows about them.
Date: July 30, 2022 01:24PM
Carnos Jax
The Apple Watch was laid out by Jobs before his passing.

Really? Jobs died in October 2011 and the Apple Watch wasn't released until 2015. Link?

That other stuff there’s nothing innovative in any of it.

Okay. What does a thing need to be innovative in your opinion? (I tend towards the dictionary definition of the word.)

if you ask them about the Mac, iPod, the iPhone, etc. everybody knows about them.

Yes, I agree that those are the big three—world changing products in my opinion. But Apple Watch, Apple Pay, and AirPods have had significant influence on the world too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2022 01:24PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: July 30, 2022 04:28PM
I’ll try to find the Jones and Apple Watch thing. But in regards to innovation, I mean something on the level of the iPod, iPhone, Mac, etc. Things that revolutionize the industry that sets the bar for everyone else to either emulate. Things that people don’t forget and it was burned into the general public‘s mind forever.
Date: July 30, 2022 05:06PM
There seems to be conflicting reports on how much Steve Jobs was involved with the watch:

[www.cultofmac.com]

I’m still looking for the link where I read Jobs had laid out the basic design. I’m sure he was aware of it. Even on this forum we were talking about it a couple years before his death:

[forums.macresource.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 66
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020