advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
the candyman can't?!....Hershey warns of 'candy' shortage for Halloween.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 29, 2022 07:31AM
.....will your waistline thank you.....???

Hershey says it won't be able to meet Halloween demand this year

....Bad news for Halloween enthusiasts. This year, you might be out of luck in the candy aisle.

“We will not be able to fully meet consumer demand,” for the October holiday, warned Hershey CEO Michele Buck in prepared remarks about the company’s second-quarter results Thursday.

The problem? Consumers are demanding more regular and Halloween-themed candy than Hershey can make, at least right now.

Many consumer goods manufacturers have been struggling to meet surging demand for their products during the pandemic, especially with the ongoing supply chain issues. That’s meant that they’ve had to reduce production of certain less popular items or, as in the case of the late, great Choco Taco, cut them altogether.

Hershey is in the same boat.

Hershey doesn't expect to meet demand for Halloween candy. - Daniel Acker/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Demand for sweets surged during the pandemic and has remained high. Meanwhile interest in Halloween has only gotten stronger. That’s bittersweet news for Hershey, which has seen its sales spike — the company reported double-digit sales growth in the quarter compared to last year -— but it has also had to make some production sacrifices.

The chocolate maker uses the same manufacturing lines for its regular and seasonal products. That means it can’t amp up production of both regular sweets and Halloween or holiday items. Instead, it has to do one or the other.

“We had a strategy of prioritizing everyday on-shelf availability,” Buck said during an analyst call discussing the company’s second-quarter results. “That was a choice that we needed to make,” she said. “It was a tough decision.”

That likely means ceding ground to competitors such as Mars Wrigley, which makes M&Ms, Snickers, Skittles and other candies, and Brach’s, during the busy Halloween season. Hershey is adding more manufacturing lines and hoping that it will be able to meet demand in the next couple of years.

But it has other issues.

In addition to capacity constraints, the company is still struggling with disruptions along its supply chain, including higher dairy prices and scarce ingredients. In order to get the ingredients it needs, Hershey has to source them from other suppliers, which is costly.

These issues are largely related to the war in Ukraine, Buck said.

less......candy.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2022 07:32AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: the candyman can't?!....Hershey warns of 'candy' shortage for Halloween.....
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 29, 2022 08:35AM
NewtonMP2100
These issues are largely related to the war in Ukraine, Buck said.[/i

Re: the candyman can't?!....Hershey warns of 'candy' shortage for Halloween.....
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 29, 2022 09:53AM
More like they are having problems hiding where they source chocolate nibs from...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 29, 2022 10:29AM
Guess the kids will get bright orange carrot sticks this year, that should be popular.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 29, 2022 11:23AM
I'm sure that somewhere there's a warehouse with 50-year old candy corn they'll break out. And nobody will tell the difference.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: July 29, 2022 12:59PM
One year my wife picked up a bunch of colorful pencils to give out at halloween. I was very concerned that we would have a riot. Actually, the kids loved them!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 29, 2022 01:12PM
Still have leftover Easter candy. I don't think the kids will turn up their noses!

A few years ago, we were offering Candy, Twinkies (and the like) and small bags of chips.

The chips went fastest.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 29, 2022 03:29PM
My mom and dad had the most popular Halloween treat in the neighborhood: homemade buttered popcorn. Probably not OK to do this anymore.

“Those were the days . . .”

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 29, 2022 10:41PM
I don't like the "Fun Size" candies anyway. I have to unwrap 10 of them just to equal a whole candy bar.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 30, 2022 10:52AM
It’s hard to wrap my head around this one, considering the main ingredient in virtually all their products is sugar.

Not beating on sugar - I have a sweet tooth myself - but is there a sugar shortage we haven’t heard about?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 30, 2022 11:07AM
pdq
It’s hard to wrap my head around this one, considering the main ingredient in virtually all their products is sugar.

Not beating on sugar - I have a sweet tooth myself - but is there a sugar shortage we haven’t heard about?

The shortages are probably not sugar or high fructose corn sugar but other ingredients. Hershey specifically mentioned cocoa and edible oil according to this article - [www.newsnationnow.com]. One factor there is the war in Ukraine which was the largest exporter of sunflower oil before the war.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020