advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Repurpose an Amazon Fire tablet?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 29, 2022 12:39PM
It's a 8" (I think) HD tablet from 3 years ago, unopened. Heard of any good alternative uses?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Repurpose an Amazon Fire tablet?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 29, 2022 12:53PM
MrBig,

Depending on the version, you might be able to get a stand and use it in show mode and turn it into an Echo Show. I have one from a similar time frame and use it more as a show than I did as a tablet. Worked out nicely. It's still also more than capable to use as a dedicated e-reader.

Robert
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 29, 2022 12:54PM
It could probably be used just fine as it was intended. Pretty sure it can be used as a regular android tablet

Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 29, 2022 01:01PM
Good as a Streaming TV viewer?

Been thinking about getting a cheap tablet for bath time reading. If I drop it and wet it, so what?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 29, 2022 01:23PM
It's trivial to "jailbreak". You can install/run the Google Play store and Android apps that Amazon doesn't provide.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 29, 2022 01:54PM
What they said, plus keep an eye open for AMZ's best sales, Prime Day, BF, etc., and they'll give you (IIRC) $20 + 20% off another Fire/Echo device at those sale prices. You could score a bigger tablet for cheap, w/ its better watchability.
==
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 29, 2022 02:14PM
Thanks, using as an Android tablet would be good.

If it takes video input, I would put it to use as a backup monitor for my vehicle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020