Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
simply•mac Bankruptcy
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 30, 2022 04:02AM
Simply Mac bankruptcy

On June 9, Apple dealer Simply Mac abruptly closed. Here's what happened, how service customers affected by the sudden shutdown can get help — and how to buy assets from the shuttered company.

Based in Salt Lake City, Simply Mac was founded in 2006. It provided Apple device repairs for consumers and sold accessories such as cases, cables, and chargers.

Gamestop acquired the company in 2013 to bring Simply Mac to areas that didn't have official Apple Stores as a Premier Partner. Eventually, Gamestop divested Simply Mac in 2019, and Cool Holdings, Inc. acquired it in September 2019.

Many Simply Mac stores were closed during the pandemic, although in 2020, Cool Holdings announced reopenings of stores in Oregon and Florida. That wasn't enough treading to keep the company afloat, and in 2022 Cool Holdings announced the shutdown of all Simply Mac stores.

Court records reveal that proceedings started on June 28. Creditors are being added to the case, including CB&L & Associates Management, Gamestop, Sunrise Mills Limited Partnership, and others. Creditors may begin to file claims.

The trustee in the bankruptcy case is George B. Hofmann in Salt Lake City, Utah. Trustees in a Chapter 7 filing perform duties such as collecting and selling the debtor's property, distributing proceeds to creditors, and other legal roles.

I don't remember hearing of or seeing any of the simply•mac stores.

From the article it seems they sold accessories for Apple products and did repairs, but didn't sell Mac kit proper.

More on the saga at [appleinsider.com]

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: simply•mac Bankruptcy
Posted by: mstudio
Date: July 30, 2022 05:40AM
When I was having a problem with an iPad a year or so ago, Apple gave me the option of taking it to a Simply-Mac location. They had an opening the next day whereas Apple didn't have one for a few weeks. Small and very tidy and it looked like a mini-Apple Store. I don't remember seeing any Macs for sale but they had a ton of Apple-brand accessories.
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 30, 2022 01:34PM
I'm almost shocked that a brick and mortar apple repair place still existed in 2022. Does Small Dog still exist? I have not heard anything from Don in years.

In the early days of the internet there was a Real Player audio of Steve Jobs addressing a room full of old Apple repair places. It wasn't pretty and it was really too bad that Steve spoke to those people--who had been repairing shitbox Apple stuff for a couple of decades--the way he did. Man it was ugly. There was a newsgroup post that counted the number of times Steve said "@#$%&" when addressing them and it was for sure in the double digits. I think in the end Steve started answering every question with "Too @#$%& bad. It's a free country."
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 30, 2022 01:49PM
chopper
I'm almost shocked that a brick and mortar apple repair place still existed in 2022.

Apple Consultants Network:
[consultants.apple.com]

chopper
Does Small Dog still exist?

Yes. Still chugging. Still dropping little plastic dogs in with each order. Still publishing Kibbles & Bytes. I think they may have briefly suspended subscriptions when they moved their store in 2019.

I'm not going to link to them because they might be considered competition for our kind hosts.

Posted by: GGD
Date: July 30, 2022 03:02PM
chopper
Does Small Dog still exist? I have not heard anything from Don in years.

They came up in conversation several weeks ago.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 30, 2022 03:22PM
There's one of the stores in a mall in Chattanooga. We bought iPads there some years ago when they had the ones with free Tmobile service and the Tmobile store didn't have any in stock. There was a local story about the store closing with a sign on the door a month or so ago. Interestingly enough, their website is still up and shows hours of operation. I guess when they shut down everybody just stopped and left.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 01, 2022 08:39PM
There's one not far from me. They bought the previous chain of non-Apple Mac stores, which had horrible customer service so I never set foot in that one again. I bought a bad monitor from them and they refused to do anything about it.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020