Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hailing Frequencies Closed... RIP Nichelle Nichols. :-(
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 31, 2022 02:06PM
[movieweb.com]

Nichelle Nichols has shuffled off this mortal coil, and joined the castmates who have gone before - age 89.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hailing Frequencies Closed... RIP Nichelle Nichols. :-(
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 31, 2022 02:31PM
Ughhh...

She had so many memorable scenes. These are the ones that really get me every time:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

I see MeTV has a compilation of the best of:

[www.youtube.com]

... and then there's her interview about why she didn't quit Star Trek after the first season:

[www.youtube.com]

... hailing frequencies closed indeed. R.I.P., Nichelle. (I'm sure that Heroes and Icons and MeTV will do tributes...)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: jonny
Date: July 31, 2022 02:36PM
RIP. I never get tired of hearing her tell the story about how Dr. Martin Luther King convinced her to not leave the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2022 02:38PM by jonny.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 31, 2022 02:39PM
...RIP.....Nic @ night.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 31, 2022 02:50PM
I once chatted online with James Cawley, the creator of Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II about recasting the Role for Uhura.

Me: I hope you showed her the scene from "The Naked Time"

Sulu: Fair Maiden!
Uhura: Sorry, neither.

JC: That is definitely one of the scenes we showed her!

He chose Jasmine Pierce

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: July 31, 2022 03:56PM
jonny
RIP. I never get tired of hearing her tell the story about how Dr. Martin Luther King convinced her to not leave the show.

That story is captured here at the Star Trek website: [www.startrek.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2022 03:57PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 31, 2022 04:07PM
bummer . RIP Nichelle/Uhura

!#$@@$#!

Date: July 31, 2022 04:33PM
SKYLANE
jonny

That story is captured here at the Star Trek website: [www.startrek.com]

Or you could view the YouTube links I posted. grinning smiley

Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 31, 2022 04:58PM
[www.cnn.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 31, 2022 06:03PM
Her trek to the stars is just starting.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: July 31, 2022 07:37PM
AllGold
[www.cnn.com]

Trailblazing is exactly right... how many followed in her various footsteps, for women and POC, both in the acting domain as well as NASA, the interracial relationship she had onscreen with Kirk, etc., etc. ?

I remember reading somewhere that she was shocked when she found out that Uhura was fourth in command of the regular bridge crew** ... which meant that she could have taken command at some point. Unfortunately that only happened in TAS: [www.youtube.com]

**Since she was a Lieutenant, she would have been in line after Kirk, Spock, and Sulu; not counting Scotty (who would have spent most of his time in Engineering)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2022 07:37PM by PeterB.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 31, 2022 10:34PM
She and Shatner shared the first interracial kiss on American TV. I read somewhere that the studio heads required that they do a number of takes of the scene, several of which did not show a kiss. The reason for this was so that syndicates in the Jim Crow states could air the show without showing them kissing. Shatner and Nichols reputedly deliberately flubbed all of the non-kiss versions so that there could be no sanitized version, forcing the studios to show the interracial kiss nationwide. .

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020