advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Passed the MSF Basic Rider Course, but not without incident
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 31, 2022 03:11PM
Was doing pretty well. Last test, get into 2nd before entering a right turn so that you could roll on the throttle through a timed straight before an aggressive brake and broad sweeper (staying in the lane) and coming to a stop.

It was the longest and only test that we all walked through ahead of time. Part of the straightaway was timed, because if you’re not going fast enough you fail that test. They want to see how you brake before the turn and if you’re able to stay in your lane through the turn.

It was really nothing new we all hadn’t already practiced successfully.

The instructor made a point of saying the curve afterwards wasn’t timed and if we wanted to poke through it that was fine. Just stay in the lane on that curve.

My turn. I head to the first sharp corner and I’m already in 2nd, as per his suggestion. Straightened up and rolled on the throttle, zipping through the timing marks. And then right after comes the broad sweeper, so brake aggressively at the approach.

For the first time ever, my hand did not adequately let go of the gas. Felt like my glove was stuck to it, I felt myself lift up but I kept hearing the engine rev way higher. Much confusion wrapped in a split second.

When I entered the curve I cut power to the rear wheel with the clutch, engine still revving, instructor behind me yelling. But I didn’t brake and drop the bike. I was determined to not touch the front brake and cause that.

I leaned it so hard — still feathering the clutch because my pea brain could not understand why the throttle was still going —- I made the corner while scraping the peg or the exhaust and came to a proper stop at the designated area. I looked over at the instructor who was um, very animated and thought I was scared. No, just a moron who made a stupid mistake.

When I got back in the queue my classmates were amazed how fast I made it through and without dumping it. “Not my intention,” was my response.

Ironically, in Day 1 yesterday he demonstrated how it’s possible to turn tight enough to scrape the bike safely. The danger isn’t from the scraping itself nor the lean angle (traction and speed permitting). It’s that if you scrape it unloads the rear tire, which of course would make the bike fall if the tire lifts off the ground.

Glad the tires were warmed up prior, however.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Passed the MSF Basic Rider Course, but not without incident
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 31, 2022 03:16PM
Lean over too far, and you catch a peg, and it gets very interesting from there on.
Glad you recovered and finished safely!

=TC
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 31, 2022 05:30PM
Practice. Practice. Practice.
==
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 31, 2022 08:48PM
Congratulations on passing!

I did the BASIC MSF Course a decade ago. Time and money WELL spent.
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 01, 2022 10:58PM
Did you or do you have the opportunity to ride off-road like in a field or something similar?

I've taught probably 30 kids to ride. I have a PW50, XR70 and a TTR125 for this purpose, depending on their size. An afternoon of playbike in a field helps immeasurably.

I taught my first adult last summer. Much much different. I gave her a few weekends on the XR then I sent her to an MSF course. I know the instructor. He found some of the same things I did, that she's seemingly distracted and she has a serious case of CRS even though she's 22.

She is riding on the street now. The 100% mint 250 Ninja I found for her now looks much like a bike from The Road Warrior.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 02, 2022 10:32AM
Yes, dirt riding is crucial to learn about the limits of gravity, as well as the power of that particular bike. But I have a dual sport for that reason. And I much prefer to ride on trails than anywhere else, if it's for fun. But I'd go so far as to take a street bike on dirt just for the same reasons.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 02, 2022 11:00AM
chopper
I taught my first adult last summer. Much much different. I gave her a few weekends on the XR then I sent her to an MSF course. I know the instructor. He found some of the same things I did, that she's seemingly distracted and she has a serious case of CRS even though she's 22.

CRS?

It is what it is.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 02, 2022 11:02AM
N-OS X-tasy!
chopper

CRS?

If it's the CRS I'm familiar with, I'm assuming it 'Can't remember sh!te'.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020