advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
dryer balls (not to be confused with drier balls)
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 01, 2022 03:40PM
Okay, let the crude jokes begin.

Now to the real question. Has anyone here ever tried or regularly use dryer balls? I remember hearing or reading about them seemingly years ago, but never really paid attention. They supposedly shorten drying time a bit, plus have the benefit of taking the place of fabric softener sheets. Or is it all a bunch of hooey?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: dryer balls (not to be confused with drier balls)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 01, 2022 03:58PM
We have, they definitely beat up the clothes, though. It depends on which garments you're planning to use them.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 01, 2022 04:04PM
In my experience, all they were were noise makers. I went back to dryer sheets for static control.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 01, 2022 04:04PM
Have tried them a couple of times over the years. Never noticed any difference in drying time.

Definitely does not replace dryer sheets (which gently coat you clothes with slick stuff).
Posted by: John B.
Date: August 01, 2022 04:05PM
I got a cheap set of "all wool" ones from a local big-box store (as opposed to the "fancy" ones from a vendor at the state fair). They work OK, I haven't noticed them beating up clothes. Still get some static buildup/cling on nylon/poly clothes (like Under Armour shirts) especially in the winter.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 01, 2022 04:14PM
Zoidberg
In my experience, all they were were noise makers. I went back to dryer sheets for static control.

I have used the wool or whatever they are made of, not the harder rubber balls with spikes on them.
Had them for several years now. The ones I use came in a 3 pack, I lose one every once in a while, then several weeks or months later I find on in blankets or sheets, LOL.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 01, 2022 04:20PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 01, 2022 04:26PM
I use a pair of the spiky plastic ones.
I use them to try and keep the clothes and things like sheets from getting as twisted up.
I used to use tennis balls, but those make a lot more noise.
I found the pair I have on half off at the grocery store and decided to give them a go.
I throw a dryer sheet in and leave it for a long time. I don’t replace every load.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: August 01, 2022 04:43PM
Thank you all. If I were to try them, I'd probably opt for the wool ones, if only for the banging/noise factor. Dumb question time. As far as their usefulness as static control, is something added to the balls to do that? While we're regular users of the Bounce Free and Clear (or store equivalent), I don't believe I've ever added fabric softener per se to a load.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 01, 2022 04:57PM
I use the all wool ones. I stopped using dryer sheets. They knock out the static electricity.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 01, 2022 05:15PM
We've been using them for years, and our laundry nanny swears by them.

Get the expensive wool dryer balls, she says they work *much* better than the plastic ones, even the best plastic ones. The unprinted tennis ball style also works better than the cheap spikey plastic ball ones, but both of those don't last very long, so I think it's actually more cost effective for the long haul to go w/ the good stuff.

For drier balls, however, the laundry nanny has no opinion; but I've heard that leaky people find Poise Daily Liners work almost as well as Depends Shields for Men, for about 30% less, at big box/warehouse club prices. All bets are off if you choose generic/house brand pads, or go w/ Amazon Basics. Laundry nanny doesn't care which one is used, only that one is used....
==
Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 01, 2022 05:16PM
I use the wool ones - they work better than nothing, but not as well as a dryer sheet - but since they live in the dryer, no problem with remembering to use them. I can live with the small amount of static they don't get.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 01, 2022 05:46PM
I use the wool type. Can't say I've had any problems with them. The "spikey" ball were definitely harder on my clothes.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 01, 2022 06:41PM
I use the spiky plastic ball type, and haven't really noticed them being hard on my clothes, BUT... I use a lot of them, and also aluminum foil balls to control static.

Note that the purpose of the spiky plastic type is to reduce drying time and to fluff your clothes, but obviously won't do anything about static or the scent of the clothes... so I'm using dryer sheets as well, particularly for the scent. (The water here has a distinctly slight fishy odor to it, that unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do about, and if you don't get the clothes into the dryer relatively quickly from the washer, they'll additionally have a mildewy odor too.)

So far as the intended purpose of reducing the drying time, I can say that the spiky plastic balls definitely do their thing! Drying time for a big load can now be really short, like 10-20 minutes or so.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 01, 2022 06:50PM
cbelt3
I use the all wool ones. I stopped using dryer sheets. They knock out the static electricity.

Ditto.

Vinegar in the rinse water also helps.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 01, 2022 06:53PM
been using these for a year and half.
No more static, dryer sheets. I'd guess they save 5 to 10% of dry time depending on what you're drying. We have a gas dryer if that makes a diff. Haven't found they beat up clothes, but plush towels a bit.
Not heard them make any noise. Course, they get stuck in contour sheets, pillow cases .....

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 01, 2022 07:08PM
Wool ones. I've banned fabric sheets from the dryer, the coating they give off clogs the filter screen.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 01, 2022 07:52PM
Necessary for some things like garments, socks, or towels that lose their ability to diffuse water or sweat when they're exposed to the chemicals in dryer sheets. They work, too, you just need to load all of them into the dryer - at least a dozen or so - to cut the static down and any stray fibers picked up.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 01, 2022 07:53PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2022 07:54PM by bfd.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 01, 2022 08:08PM
wurm
Okay, let the crude jokes begin.

From the other room: "Where are the dryer sheets?"

Me: "You want drier sheets? Stop wetting the bed!"

(Yeah, I'm super helpful to have around the household.)
Date: August 01, 2022 10:01PM
Got it. Thanks, everyone. I think it'll be worth a shot to try some wool ones.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 01, 2022 10:07PM
Appropriate that this product comes in a two-pack.

NewtonMP2100

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 02, 2022 12:23AM
No jokes about Schweddy Balls yet? You people disappoint!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 02, 2022 07:24AM
Hi everyone,

One thing I would like to see is actual scientific tests of various types of dryer balls and whether or not they are effective in shorter drier times, softer clothes, reduces static, etc. Seems like there is a ton of anecdotal reports but the closest thing to a scientific review that I could find is from Popular Mechanics and Electrafix.

[www.electrafixbc.ca]

[www.popularmechanics.com]

Robert
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 02, 2022 12:00PM
Do any of the aforementioned serve to reduce the amount of cat fur that sticks to fleece fabrics? I would gladly pay a few dollars for something to that end.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 02, 2022 05:27PM
science?!??!??! we don't need no stinking science!

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 03, 2022 10:48AM
.....don't lick.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 03, 2022 11:23AM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

One thing I would like to see is actual scientific tests of various types of dryer balls and whether or not they are effective in shorter drier times, softer clothes, reduces static, etc. Seems like there is a ton of anecdotal reports but the closest thing to a scientific review that I could find is from Popular Mechanics and Electrafix.

[www.electrafixbc.ca]

[www.popularmechanics.com]

Robert

As you can imagine, there are quite a few "real world reviews" on YouTube. While not scientific, they do make some interesting points. I think it will be a cheap enough experiment.
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 07, 2022 05:19PM
My father insists on using them, my mother says they are useless pieces of junk that make noise and have no constructive purpose. But he is holding firm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020