advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Should I upgrade old or buy a new computer?
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 02, 2022 05:25PM
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
C2QRJ00EGM0V serial number
CATALINA

I CAN'T upgrade this computer and I would like to have it uptodate. Should I get it mechanically upgraded or buy a new Air when they come out. I don't know if this machine can be upgraded.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Should I upgrade old or buy a new computer?
Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 02, 2022 05:28PM
My personal thought is that a 7 year old computer is VERY long in the tooth. I'd go for new.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 02, 2022 05:41PM
If you have the finances, go for the new MBA.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: hal
Date: August 02, 2022 05:55PM
you can't upgrade any of the internal hardware except the SSD on that unit.

The OS can be upgraded to Big Sur, but not any further.

That's still a solid usable computer.

'Should I upgrade old or buy a new computer?' is a question whose answer only you can know for sure.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 02, 2022 05:59PM
I have the same computer as my newest Mac (other'n this M1 Pro thingy work just bought me that's been out of the box twice and right back in...) and I'm jealous of your 16GB. I have 8.

However there is a single upgrade you can do and that's upgrade the SSD but IMO it's not worth it. Get a new(er) one.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 02, 2022 05:59PM
Is there software that you want or need to use that you currently cannot with that computer?
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 02, 2022 06:33PM
New

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rz
Date: August 02, 2022 06:49PM
All depends on what you use it for. And I gather from years of reading your posts that you’re not a “power” user. If you can afford it, and want a new one, then by all means treat yourself to a new one.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 02, 2022 09:24PM
I just moved from a 2013 to the latest and the difference is pretty noticeable. Much faster but the most impressive thing is the battery life to me. No more worrying about battery time or how hot my lap is going to be from the laptop. If you can stomach the new software I say go for it. Music app is ok at best, TV is abysmal for those of us with our own libraries, Photos should be renamed "You'll never find your photos again". But outside of that...it's great!

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 02, 2022 09:29PM
It’s fun to get a new computer. If you can afford it - do it. It nice to have full compatibility with everything.

JPK
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 03, 2022 02:29AM
If you go online for banking, credit cards, etc. they want everything upgraded as much as possible. Frankly, even if you go to Big Sur on your current machine it will be maybe a year (perhaps two?) and you will have to either stop online banking or get a new machine. You MIGHT get more time, but … it’s getting long in the tooth. Get a new one (or newer one, refurb perhaps, one year old?)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 03, 2022 04:14AM
If you go online for banking, credit cards, etc. they want everything upgraded as much as possible.

This.

My main computer is a 2012 mini running Sierra.

Safari is so old in this OS that a lot of sites besides banks and financial sites just won't load for me.

A couple have loaded just far enough to say 'Your browser is over a year old. In computer years, it's dead'.

Or something like that, I may have paraphrased.

I've used Firefox in such cases, but I hate it.

When it doesn't work, I have alternatives.

sam, I think you deserve a new rig.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 03, 2022 07:02AM
Consider the latest model 12” iPad Pro and keep your laptop for laptop things. We use our iPads 95% of the time and our Macs 15% of the time.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 03, 2022 07:06AM
If you go online for banking, credit cards, etc. they want everything upgraded as much as possible.

Interesting. I'm using a 2012 Mini running Mojave and I've never (yet) had a hiccup or caution or request to update with any of my bank or credit card websites. If it matters, my default browser is Chrome.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 03, 2022 10:07AM
Yeah I wouldn't spend any money on a machine that old. Better to put it towards something with an M1 or better that will last a long time, in my opinion.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: August 03, 2022 11:59AM
My vote is for new, NEW, NEW!!!

(speaking as someone who was just given a new M1 laptop and it is wonderful)
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 03, 2022 12:39PM
My wife had a 2014 MacBook Pro and last year we traded it in on a new M1 MacBook Air. She loves it. And we got $410 in trade in from the Apple Store for the MacBook Pro.

We're right in the middle of tax-free times for a number of states; many include computers. If you time it right you might be able to save some dollars. We bought me a M2 MacBook Air last weekend in TN and saved the taxes.

[www.taxadmin.org]
Posted by: hal
Date: August 03, 2022 04:01PM
I asked and apple just offered me $250 for my top of the line 2017 iMac with all the upgrades
Posted by: davester
Date: August 04, 2022 12:57AM
Speaking as someone whose main computer is a 2015 MBPR with 16 Gb RAM and a 1Tb SSD, I say buy new. My current MBPR works great for me, but I wouldn't spend a penny upgrading it. If I needed more SSD space I'd buy an M1 or M2 computer rather than throw money into a 7 year old machine.

I do have a question though....why do you want to upgrade? Is your SSD too small? If so, can you upload a bunch of stuff to the cloud to reduce the impact on your SSD? If that can be done perhaps you have no need of spending your available cash on a new computer.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 04, 2022 07:39AM
A little different view is, from a money viewpoint, is whether you have a job or prospect for a job that will pay enough t for the new computer. This advice came from a friend who was a film video editor and goes through multiple gigs a year with completely different employers, so a self employed person and usually with high end equipment. My three cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2022 07:42AM by pqrst.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020