advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mint, Visible, or something else?
Posted by: gadje
Date: August 02, 2022 07:34PM
I need to cancel my Xfinity internet (will keep FiOS) and therefore I need to move the 4 cell phones to another network.

I had good coverage with Xfinity (runs on Verizon) so I was thinking to move to Visible (also on Verizon).
But Mint has better plans. I still need to check coverage though.

Anyway, if you have Mint of Visible, is your bill just $25 or $15 or do they add taxes and fees on top of that?

which has better customer service?

Is there another option I should look into? or something to avoid?

We use around 6-10 GB of data combined (4 lines).

I have post-paid plans.

Anything else I should mention?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mint, Visible, or something else?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 02, 2022 07:46PM
I am also on Xfinity and started a free Visible trial earlier today. i'll be joining a Party Pay and it's my understanding that it will be $25 including all taxes and fees for unlimited everything including hotspotting. I'm even thinking of adding in my Apple Watch for a flat $5.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 02, 2022 08:04PM
I just switched to Visible from Verizon postpaid.
The switch was quick and easy.
The $25 month should be the total, no taxes or fees, AFAIK.
I haven’t gotten my first $25 bill. My first month was only $5

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: clay
Date: August 02, 2022 08:14PM
Redpocket mobile is another Verizon MVNO worth considering if the plans match up with your usage. I moved a handful of lines to them when we cancelled Xfinity home internet/mobile.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 02, 2022 08:22PM
Never had Mint but I'm a Visible customer and I like and recommend them. Total bill is $25 flat.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 02, 2022 08:27PM
I signed up for Mint Mobile after being on AT&T.

After the trial period to ensure that everything was fine with my coverage and no particular issues with uptime, compatibility, etc., I chose their cheapest plan and pre-paid for 1 year.

I don't think there were any additional taxes or fees. From what I recall, the amount they advertised is the amount I paid.

I think I'm in my second year with them now and have two lines on Mint.
Date: August 02, 2022 08:27PM
Nosing around Visible Reddit just now you might also take a look at US Mobile, another Verizon MVNO.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 02, 2022 08:29PM
I'm not sure if we're comparing apples to apples. 4 lines, 'unlimited data' / '10GB/month/line' $90 - [www.redpocket.com]

Prepaid individual plans may or may not come out a bit cheaper - [www.redpocket.com]

Posted by: GGD
Date: August 02, 2022 09:18PM
If the Verizon network is NOT a requirement, maybe look at Tello, they're on the T-Mobile GSM network. Lots of flexibility on how to create a plan with the voice and data allocation you need. But it's all on a per-line basis, no family sharing. That said, they support Hotspot, WiFi calling, and Visual Voicemail on iPhones. If you jump through some hoops every month they do rollover data. You can also pay for voice by the minute instead of having a monthly allotment, you don't get charged taxes that way too.

I use them on some spare phones, I pay $5/month get 500MB which I rollover, unlimited texts, zero minutes. For voice usage, I had to setup a $20 credit that voice calls draw from at $0.01/minute, so I essentially prepaid for 2000 minutes that rollover until I use all of them.

[tello.com]

This guy has a good review of them, although it hasn't been updated to reflect their recent price reductions.

[www.cranialborborygmus.com]

And here's one from Clark.com

[clark.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 02, 2022 10:59PM
I'm even thinking of adding in my Apple Watch for a flat $5.

Ok, that makes me want to get a Watch with cellular.

I thought MVNOs couldn't support Watches, or at least Mint didn't when I called them up.

The kids who did customer service had a hard time understand that I didn't mean using the Watch with a 'Phone, but using it without one.

Mint was my consideration because it gets me five bars at home instead of one or two.

I don't know about at home here, but VWZ get poor coverage at another location I frequent (T-Mo does very well there) so it's not an option.

Visible is worth a look.
A hot-spot option would be good.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 02, 2022 11:48PM
I have NO experience with Mint but, I've been with Visible since 2019 and have been satisfied. As to Customer Service, on Visible, it's ALL done online. Even though it's a Verizon MVNO, Verizon stores will NOT help Visible customers. ALL communication is either email or online "chat" (NO voice / talk human option). There is also NO "roaming" by using another carrier's towers. As Verizon has SO many cell towers, it would be rare to find yourself in a Verizon "dead zone" though. With Visible, as long as you're in a Party Pay group of four or more users and have signed up for Auto Pay, your bill bill will be $25 / month for unlimited talk text & data. You'll only be responsible for YOUR account; NEVER other Party Pay members. You can bring your "own phone" or buy one from visible. A 5G phone where Verizon HAS 5G service, you'll get 5G. A 4G phone gets 4G service. I hope this helps. smiling smiley
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 03, 2022 05:36AM
Visible @ $25/month right now.

Though I'll probably switch to US Mobile soon and have to pay more.

I need coverage in a US Cellular area and US Mobile has it for some reason but Visible doesn't.
Posted by: d4
Date: August 03, 2022 06:38AM
I'm on Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO).

There are about 100 physical Total Wireless store locations in the US if you prefer walking into a store and having someone help you face to face. Mostly in NY/NJ and 10 other states. I'm lucky enough to live about 15 mins away from one. Customer service has online chat and live operators.

Total Wireless prepaid cards are available at Target (stores/online). Code is emailed to you. You can use the Target RedCard for additional 5% savings.

4 line prepaid card is $100 flat.

Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 03, 2022 08:57AM
Some taxes are applied at the state or local level. In my location (Chicago) taxes are roughly a third of my bill. Here's my most recent statement from Ting:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Plan Line Fee 3115552368 $6.00 Jun 19 - Jul 18
Plan Minutes Usage S 4 minutes $3.00
Plan SMS Usage S 4 messages $3.00
Plan Data Usage M 355 MB $10.00

Here are the taxes we are required to collect and remit:
Communications Service Tax $0.59
Communications Service Tax (Wireless) $0.59
E911 (Wireless) $5.00
FCC Regulatory Fee (Wireless) $0.01
Fed USF Cellular $0.55
Federal Telecommunications Relay Services Fund (... $0.01
Federal Telecommunications Relay Services Fund (... $0.06
Telecom Relay Surcharge (Wireless) $0.02

Your total was: $28.83
Date: August 03, 2022 09:11AM
Mr Downtown
Some taxes are applied at the state or local level. In my location (Chicago) taxes are roughly a third of my bill. Here's my most recent statement from Ting:

Plan Line Fee 3115552368 $6.00 Jun 19 - Jul 18
Plan Minutes Usage S 4 minutes $3.00
Plan SMS Usage S 4 messages $3.00
Plan Data Usage M 355 MB $10.00

Here are the taxes we are required to collect and remit:
Communications Service Tax $0.59
Communications Service Tax (Wireless) $0.59
E911 (Wireless) $5.00
FCC Regulatory Fee (Wireless) $0.01
Fed USF Cellular $0.55
Federal Telecommunications Relay Services Fund (... $0.01
Federal Telecommunications Relay Services Fund (... $0.06
Telecom Relay Surcharge (Wireless) $0.02

Your total was: $28.83

Providers like Visible wrap those into a flat billing model. You’d pay $25 with Visible Party Pay as far as i’ve understood how they operate.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 03, 2022 09:18AM
Just throwing out there that for Verizon MVNO's you can have trouble with depriortization if you are in a busy area. Rapid growth in the Reno Tahoe area has outstripped most cell providers. There's just more devices than the network can handle. When traffic peaks, those second tier MVNOs will see a lower level of service that regular post pay Verizon subscribers.

When we tried Visible in our area, it meant that we would have zero internet service on most weekends in both Tahoe and the Reno area. We even had difficulty making phone calls at times. We switched back to Verizon at double the cost and chose to look for savings elsewhere.

The best thing about Visible was that after a couple of months, we switched back to Verizon and got somewhere around $900 of credit that paid our Verizon bill for the next few months.

YMMV if you are not in a congested area.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: August 03, 2022 10:02AM
I tried Visible, but same issue as Markintosh. Small town with heavy VZW use.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 04, 2022 12:35PM
AFAIK all Verizon MVNOs throttle hotspots to 5 MBps down, unless you use a workaround like PDANet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020