advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP: Vin Scully at 94 [ sports broadcaster ].....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 02, 2022 10:18PM
....Dodgers broadcaster....

Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully dies at 94 years old

.....Vin Scully, the legendary broadcaster who spent 67 years as the golden-throated voice of the Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers, has died. He was 94 years old.

The Dodgers announced his death on Tuesday. A cause of death was not initially noted.

Scully, a Bronx native who became a baseball fan at the age of 8, began his broadcasting career at Fordham University after spending two years in the Navy. He called football and basketball games, and also played baseball, even playing a game against future president George H.W. Bush, who was on Yale University’s baseball team.

After graduating, he managed to find work as a fill-in at WTOP in Washington, DC in 1949, which ended up being his big break into sports announcing. He met Red Barber at WTOP, who would become Scully’s mentor. Barber brought him along in 1950 when he was hired by the Dodgers, and in just three years became the youngest broadcaster to ever call a World Series at the age of 25.

A year later, when Barber left to work for the crosstown New York Yankees, Scully became the Dodgers’ main announcer. He remained in that role until his retirement in 2016, relocating in 1958 when the Dodgers uprooted to Los Angeles.

Scully’s most memorable calls

Over the years, Scully was at the mic for countless special moments for the Dodgers. In many of those great calls, you can hear that Scully had a skill that every great broadcaster possesses: knowing when to stay quiet.

In 2022, Scully said that Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth’s home run record in 1974 was the most important game he ever called.

Scully also named Kirk Gibson’s miraculous home run from Game 1 of the 1988 World Series as his most theatrical call......

RIP......................................?!]

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2022 10:33PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP: Vin Scully at 94 [ sport broadcaster ].....
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 02, 2022 10:24PM
I grew up listening to Scully do baseball and Chick Hearn do basketball. I guess I was kind of spoiled. big grin smiley

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Re: RIP: Vin Scully at 94 [ sports broadcaster ].....
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: August 02, 2022 11:06PM
sad....RIP

Long time Mac user
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 02, 2022 11:38PM
From the Red Barber school of broadcasting. Magnificent storyteller, he added a depth of color to his broadcasts few others ever did and I grew up listening to Curt Gowdy.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 02, 2022 11:50PM
Now that's a TV personality that should've been POTUS......

R.I.P. Vinny. You earned it, you were the best. Ever.
==
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 03, 2022 01:57AM

It is what it is.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 03, 2022 02:34AM
The best of the best

Posted by: rz
Date: August 03, 2022 07:20AM
NewtonMP2100

Scully also named Kirk Gibson’s miraculous home run from Game 1 of the 1988 World Series as his most theatrical call......[/i]

I remember watching that from my parents' bedroom. Even though my dad was a big baseball fan, for some reason he was watching something else with my mom in the living room. I was a big Dodgers fan, back before the strike in 1994 that made me lose all interest MLB.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: August 03, 2022 11:44AM
scully was a great broadcaster.

i loved listening to him do baseball.

thank you, mr scully for bringing so much pleasure to so many for so long.

rest in peace.

rob
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 03, 2022 11:54AM
I just re-watched his call of Hank Aaron's HR breaking Babe Ruth's record in 1974. Great call and great commentary.

[youtu.be]
Re: RIP: Vin Scully at 94 [ sport broadcaster ].....
Posted by: hal
Date: August 03, 2022 12:32PM
Blankity Blank
I grew up listening to Scully do baseball and Chick Hearn do basketball. I guess I was kind of spoiled. big grin smiley

me too...
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: August 03, 2022 02:28PM
Growing up in Southern California, I used to think I was a baseball fan. After I moved north, I realized I was a Dodgers fan. Decades later, I discovered I was really a Vin-Scully fan.

Todd's transistor keyboard
Date: August 03, 2022 03:38PM
I lost my dodger/laker fandom after I moved away (I was 10 when we moved up north), but never lost my respect for Scully and Hearn.
Date: August 03, 2022 03:41PM
oh, oh...!!

Great idea for a network TV show. It's 1966... Scully and Hearn are having dinner out when something shady happens and the two go on to investigate, find the perps and send them to jail. All along, they are using their announcer voices for every line...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 03, 2022 04:59PM
vision63
The best of the best

... of the best.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: August 03, 2022 07:23PM
When I think about Baseball it’s in Vins voice.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020