advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Canon: Camera Market ‘Has Largely Bottomed Out’
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 03, 2022 04:43PM
Canon, Sony, and Nikon are the big 3 that will duke it out as Olympus, Fuji, and Panasonic become more competitive in the MILC arena. I will be interesting if sales will be sustained by SLR to MILC switchers.

[petapixel.com]

“The camera market has largely bottomed out at its current size. Going forward, we expect the professional and advanced amateur segment to expand further and that products will become more highly developed. Accordingly, we expect the overall market to grow from now on. As for DSLR cameras, we will continue to supply products as long as there is demand.”

Canon seems to be arguing here that the industry’s steady decline, including its own losses, has finally reached the bottom and that it can’t get any worse for camera manufacturers than it already is. The company has also recognized that the beginner and amateur-level photographer isn’t looking to companies like it or its competitors to provide solutions to digital imaging, likely ceding that to smartphones. So while shipments are at an all-time low, sales numbers can still rise.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2022 07:48PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cano: Camera Market ‘Has Largely Bottomed Out’
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 03, 2022 05:19PM
They all already missed the boat and are SOL. When smartphones first came out with cameras they should have been working with cellphone companies to licenses imaging technology and get "Canon Imaging" or other branding in a phone. That ship has sailed and most cellphones have better tech than a Canon point and shoot now. I question that they have reached rock bottom....

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 03, 2022 05:42PM
C(-)ris
They all already missed the boat and are SOL. When smartphones first came out with cameras they should have been working with cellphone companies to licenses imaging technology and get "Canon Imaging" or other branding in a phone. That ship has sailed and most cellphones have better tech than a Canon point and shoot now. I question that they have reached rock bottom....

It's all about the glass. No matter how fancy your sensors are, you can't beat high quality sensors through high quality glass for distance imaging. Of course you CAN buy an iPhone 13 Pro case that lets you mount your Canon or Nikon glass on it, but the AF isn't integrated. Yet.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 03, 2022 06:37PM
cbelt3
C(-)ris

It's all about the glass. No matter how fancy your sensors are, you can't beat high quality sensors through high quality glass for distance imaging. Of course you CAN buy an iPhone 13 Pro case that lets you mount your Canon or Nikon glass on it, but the AF isn't integrated. Yet.

Sure, but I can count on one hand the number of times I need a long distance lens in normal day to day life.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 03, 2022 06:46PM
C(-)ris
cbelt3

Sure, but I can count on one hand the number of times I need a long distance lens in normal day to day life.

Yup, I think the general population is just willing to accept what is in their pocket (i.e. ~12mm to ~80mm). Although Samsung has a 10x optical zoom for 230mm reach. Sure, a smartphone can't do everything a dedicated camera can do, but "instant" everything has just changed what we expect to see in a photograph so that our standards are now defined by what's in your pocket also.

Sure, a smartphone isn't going to grab a perfect action photo, but it will let you record a video of it, even in great slo-mo, so that's sort of what we expect now.

So the camera makers can continue to make niche products for the other markets, and maybe they will have a resurgence from some of the smartphone users who use their smartphone as the stepping stone to a dedicated camera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2022 06:47PM by Gareth.
Re: Canon: Camera Market ‘Has Largely Bottomed Out’
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 03, 2022 08:12PM
I think the "single lens" albatross will sink them until they can figure out a better version of a cell phone camera in the form of a handheld. It's all about the software now.
Posted by: jonny
Date: August 03, 2022 10:04PM
C(-)ris

This is a great point. Nikon/Canon could have made some serious back licensing its technology/name to Android phone makers.
Posted by: d4
Date: August 04, 2022 03:33PM
Up until the early 2000s consumer level digital cameras were not yet prime time. For the regular consumer back then, whipping out ANY camera at a party, or event was something special. Consumers didn't normally carry cameras, except for that one soccer mom at a game, or a few random guests at a party, maybe a few vacation photos were taken. One roll of film at most. Japanese tourists were the exception.

So let's say from 2005 to 2015 was PEAK consumer level digital camera era in the US. That's a very small 10 year window when you think about it.

Unless it's for a special event, game, or competition, my $2000 worth of camera gear stays home. And I just use my iPhone 13 Pro. The quality is that good. The feeling of freedom of not carrying a DSLR/MILC is wonderful on a vacation.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 04, 2022 04:16PM
....always bottom.....never......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020