Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hubble: Ain't dead, won't quit
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 03, 2022 04:52PM
[petapixel.com]

The image shows what NASA calls globular cluster Terzan 2, which exists in the constellation Scorpio.

“Globular clusters are stable, tightly gravitationally bound clusters of tens of thousands to millions of stars found in a wide variety of galaxies. The intense gravitational attraction between the closely packed stars gives globular clusters a regular, spherical shape. As this image of Terzan 2 illustrates, the hearts of globular clusters are crowded with a multitude of glittering stars,” NASA explains.

The Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS) is Hubble’s most used camera, but it wasn’t part of the telescope when it was originally launched, but was added to the observatory in March of 2022. The ACS wavelength range extends from the ultraviolet, through the visible spectrum, and out to the near-infrared. Hubble recently celebrated the 20th year of the ACS which has captured 125,000 photos in that time and are the source of numerous discoveries.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hubble: Ain't dead, won't quit
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 03, 2022 05:06PM
March of 2022 was slightly less than 20 years ago so I'll assume a bit of a typo on petapixel's part. Unless George Jetson's dad did the servicing, always 20 years in the future.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 03, 2022 05:38PM
Lew Zealand
March of 2022 was slightly less than 20 years ago so I'll assume a bit of a typo on petapixel's part. Unless George Jetson's dad did the servicing, always 20 years in the future.

March 2002. STS-109, Columbia (RIP) 36 EVA hours.

Fun Fact... .the Shuttle and Hubble were designed to be compatible. In orbit servicing was always part of the Hubble plan.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 03, 2022 05:50PM
Too legit to quit...
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 03, 2022 05:54PM
I wonder what it would be like to live in the middle of one of those clusters, specifically the visual aspects, particularily in the night time sky.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 03, 2022 07:06PM
Carnos Jax
I wonder what it would be like to live in the middle of one of those clusters, specifically the visual aspects, particularily in the night time sky.

We live in a kind of boring area of the MW...

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: August 03, 2022 07:14PM
DP
Carnos Jax

We live in a kind of boring area of the MW...

And most of us exacerbate that by living too close to city lights. :-(
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 03, 2022 07:35PM
Carnos Jax

[www.spaceanswers.com]

If we were able to move our entire Solar System and put it straight in the middle of a globular star cluster, like 47 Tucanae, our night sky would be teeming with many stars.

In the case of 47 Tucanae, which has millions of members, stars would still appear as points of light since, due to their distance, they would not have diameters that are easily resolved by the human eye. They would also be more than a thousand times brighter than Earth’s nighttime star, Sirius.

To live on an Earth in a globular cluster would mean that the cluster’s stars (if they were like our Sun) would combine to create a night sky at around 20 times brighter than Earth’s night sky at full Moon.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 03, 2022 08:42PM
Ombligo
Carnos Jax

[www.spaceanswers.com]

If we were able to move our entire Solar System and put it straight in the middle of a globular star cluster, like 47 Tucanae, our night sky would be teeming with many stars.

In the case of 47 Tucanae, which has millions of members, stars would still appear as points of light since, due to their distance, they would not have diameters that are easily resolved by the human eye. They would also be more than a thousand times brighter than Earth’s nighttime star, Sirius.

To live on an Earth in a globular cluster would mean that the cluster’s stars (if they were like our Sun) would combine to create a night sky at around 20 times brighter than Earth’s night sky at full Moon.

As a (lapsed) amateur astronomer I couldn't think of a worse night sky. That would be awful. Very many of the best things to see in the night sky are very faint and that sky would destroy any chance of seeing any of them.

We're in a pretty damn good (read: boring) part of the galaxy, which is a gift in many ways. That quote about not living in interesting times springs to mind.
Date: August 03, 2022 08:46PM
Ombligo

Wow!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 03, 2022 09:20PM
....wish I could....quit you.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 04, 2022 08:52AM
When you don't cut too many corners and follow sound engineering, things tend to last way longer than expected.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020