advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hiring the top talent from Pixar (and ignoring some of the accompanying scandals) may not have paid off so handsomely..
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: August 04, 2022 09:26PM
[www.avclub.com]

Luck lacks the Pixar spark—and a lot more

The first film from John Lasseter's Skydance Animation simply shrugs at any sincere interaction with its fantastical setting...

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hiring the top talent from Pixar (and ignoring some of the accompanying scandals) may not have paid off so handsomely..
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 04, 2022 09:58PM
Pixar has had a few movies that have puzzled me. Sometimes the off the beaten path approach is interesting, sometimes it is just misses. The Good Dinosaur was a "western" and it was just odd. Maybe Lasseter will get his mojo back have the cold shower of reviews from Luck.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Re: Hiring the top talent from Pixar (and ignoring some of the accompanying scandals) may not have paid off so handsomely..
Date: August 04, 2022 11:22PM
When they poached Brad Bird and Alan Menken, I figured that was the end of Pixar. Maybe not.

It's hard not to root for Lassiter, even with his recent history. The guy was a hero to me.

More: [www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Date: August 05, 2022 09:27PM
...Okay, I've seen "Luck" now.

It's not awful. It's not good.

Okay to blow a couple of hours on so long as you've got some work to do or a fun tabletop game to get into while it plays.

Here are the problems as I see them:

It's as much exposition as action, and when there's any action, they still stop to explain it. And the explanations don't really make sense because nobody fleshed out the mechanics of this universe so there's a lot of phlebotinum and hand-waving.

It has the seeds of some good ideas, but that's all.

The script needed more work before going into production and the directing was weak -- maybe not wholly director Peggy Holmes' fault because the original director, Alessandro Carloni dropped out and left it a bit of a mess by most accounts.

Lasseter is famous for putting movies on hold until they've been baked long enough, so letting something like this go out the door is out of character for him. I wonder how much control he has over the production schedule.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2022 09:28PM by Tiangou.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 62
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020