advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A truly delectable image
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 05, 2022 02:27PM
Étienne Klein, a celebrated physicist and director at France's Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission shared an amazing image.

Picture of Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to the Sun, located 4.2 light years away from us. It was taken by the James Webb Space Telescope. This level of detail... A new world is unveiled everyday," he told his more than 91,000 followers on Sunday.

There is only one small issue - it isn't Proxima Centauri and it wasn't taken by the James Webb Space Telescope. It is a photo of a slice of Chorizo, taken during cocktail hour.

[edition.cnn.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A truly delectable image
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 05, 2022 02:31PM
yummy!

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 05, 2022 03:13PM
Hee hee, this is fantastic!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 05, 2022 03:25PM
Lew Zealand

Yeahhhh... not so much.

I realize that scientists have a sense of humor too... as they should. There absolutely is nothing wrong with making this type of joke privately amongst one's peers.

However, there must be a base understanding that anything a scientist posts to the Internet will be presumed to be factual, especially if the topic of the post is science-based.

This stunt undermines people's already eroded faith in scientists and serves as excellent ammo for the anti-intellectuals of the world. This scientist -- ANY scientist -- is responsible for recognizing that truth and acting accordingly.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2022 06:57PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 05, 2022 04:22PM
N-OS X-tasy!
This stunt undermines people's already eroded faith in scientists and serves as excellent ammo for the anti-intellectuals of the world.

agree smiley
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 05, 2022 08:59PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Lew Zealand

Yeahhhh... not so much.

I realize that scientists have a sense of humor too... as they should. There absolutely is nothing wrong with making this type of joke privately amongst one's peers.

However, there must be a base understanding that anything a scientist posts to the Internet will be presumed to be factual, especially if the topic of the post is science-based.

This stunt undermines people's already eroded faith in scientists and serves as excellent ammo for the anti-intellectuals of the world. This scientist -- ANY scientist -- is responsible for recognizing that truth and acting accordingly.

While I agree that this won't help the anti-intellectuals have any faith in science, they didn't need help with that in the first place. This or anything else positive or negative, will not change their minds about science as they have started from an opinion, and just look for things to support it while ignoring things that refute it.

And if people can't take a joke like this once in a while then I fail to see how any of those people could have a decent conversation about a delicate or nuanced topic without becoming easily offended.
Posted by: kj
Date: August 05, 2022 10:28PM
I doubt it erodes any faith in anything. It's just funny. Heresy and blasphemy are ideas better left to religion, or maybe not even that.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 05, 2022 10:29PM
And if people can't take a joke like this once in a while then I fail to see how any of those people could have a decent conversation about a delicate or nuanced topic without becoming easily offended.

While I agree with that to some degree, I'm not a fan of practical jokes, by the very nature of what makes them amusing to some.

It's not like scientists are widely known for their wacky sense of humor.

'Hey did you here the one about a neutrino, a valence electron, and a quark walk into a bar...'

And at some conference maybe some arcane joke would kill.

But posting this outside of some inside-baseball site, probably insults a lot of people, who have every right to feel so.

A very tiny fine print explanation attached could have mitigated most every issue.

Of course, that would have killed the 'joke'.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
And it other news...
Date: August 05, 2022 10:31PM
Mars attacks Earth.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: August 05, 2022 11:01PM
RAMd®d
'Hey did you here the one about a neutrino, a valence electron, and a quark walk into a bar...'

The neutrino and electron each ask for a beer. The quark asks for a Mojito with a shot of pickle juice.

The electron sees the bartender's eyebrows go up as the quark places the order.

"Yeah," says the electron, "he's a strange one."

The neutrino is clearly upset at this. "Hey" he snaps, "respect your boundaries!"

POMTL!
Date: August 05, 2022 11:34PM
That cracked me up!

It reminds me of a local TV show, Captain Fortune, on KPIX ch.5.

It was a kid's TV show, one of many, a little young for me.

But the Capt. had a bit as a cartoonist, where a wee tyke would go up to an easel and draw a scribble on a large flip-tablet.

Then the tyke would tell what it was, and Cap had to turn the scribble into the named object.

And he did, really well.

Fascinating.

Of all the 'kid' shows on TV, that one remains one of the most creative and kid-positive that I can recall.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 67
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020